Old 05-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #81

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
I'm going to start a new thread on a different topic in the general maintenance forum and I hope those of you with experience can offer me some tips.

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B:

I also think at some point you may be able to offer advice from your experience, lessons learned the hard way. Maybe one like "next time we'll get a survey." I don't know. Just keep it coming.
BEST line ever....hubby got good chuckle out of that one.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #83
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Oh and we did ask him to check to see if water cold have gotten in from a leaky fuel cap or whatever you call it.

He checked it out and said the gasket or o-ring or whatever you call that thing was in good shape. Not dry rotted, not broken, and appears to be sealing when you tighten the cap and he does not at all think that could be the source of the water.

And my own aside to my hubby...considering your state of inebriation last night when you made your post, it was quite legible and made sense....good job! I'm proud of you....
Get his opinion in writing on his business letterhead.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #84

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsMan View Post
I am drafting up the plans to modify the fuel system to include water separation and draining equipment. This upgrade will probably be installed within the next couple of months.
Did you have any type of fuel-water separator filter, or any fuel filter in between the tank and the engine? If so, you'll probably want to change those filters out immediately.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #85
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Business letterhead?
Madisonville LA?

BTW, did post 54 take you back a year to when your existence was challenged?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #86

Quote:
They are SUPPOSED to be writing something up for us. We'll see what we get.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Business letterhead?
Madisonville LA?

BTW, did post 54 take you back a year to when your existence was challenged?
We still challenge our own existence. Maybe this entire world is just like Newhart and we'll all wake and find it a dream.

Metaphysics or Existentialism?

Yes, business letterhead, invoice, something. Something with name, signature and phone number. What one has verbally said will be useless in negotiations and/or any further action. Having a written document from an expert was my point and I'd think they do have such even there. Something more than just an invoice stating the charge, but stating the opinion and basis of opinion regarding the cause.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #88

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Good Luck on the big weekend, I know when I first got my boat I could not wait for holiday weekends
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #89

Hubby heard from head mechanic yesterday. He said they pulled 3 gallons of water out. We added some type of additives to take care of whatever was remaining.
He wouldn't come out and say it came from the fuel but he said in his professional opinion, the engines would not have run with that amount of water in the fuel. He said if they were running and then they were not, whatever happened in the interim is where the water came from. And the only thing that happened in the interim was getting fuel.
He is separating the water removal part of the work and putting that on a separate invoice and including the details and his opinion. The cost was just under $400.
The rest of the work we were already having done which was just a general servicing/tune up.

At the end of the day it could have been a lot worse and I'm just happy our engines and generator are back up and running.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
Good Luck on the big weekend, I know when I first got my boat I could not wait for holiday weekends
Thanks....we're patiently waiting for Arvin to finish his painting so we can take her out.
Are you taking yours out this weekend?
Old 05-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Hubby heard from head mechanic yesterday. He said they pulled 3 gallons of water out. We added some type of additives to take care of whatever was remaining.
He wouldn't come out and say it came from the fuel but he said in his professional opinion, the engines would not have run with that amount of water in the fuel. He said if they were running and then they were not, whatever happened in the interim is where the water came from. And the only thing that happened in the interim was getting fuel.
He is separating the water removal part of the work and putting that on a separate invoice and including the details and his opinion. The cost was just under $400.
The rest of the work we were already having done which was just a general servicing/tune up.

At the end of the day it could have been a lot worse and I'm just happy our engines and generator are back up and running.
It's a win and actually one of the advantages of gas that made it easier to clean and proceed. Now, you still need to be on the lookout as to causes of water getting in. Don't assume it was the fuel.

As to arguing with the marina, you have no argument really, even as much as you believe. They say "no" and even the mechanic you paid will not point the finger at them. Without an expert statement on the record, you really have nothing but a good lesson and a quickly fixed problem and time to get boating. Plus a testimony for towing membership.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #92

Hubby spoke to the owner of the marina yesterday where we purchased the fuel and they came to a satisfactory conclusion.
Hubby had disputed the charge with our credit card company and owner is not going to fight that so we're not paying for the fuel which ssentially amounts to him splitting the cost with us. Hubby emailed him the report from the mechanic and he plans to file a claim with the report as evidence with his fuel supplier so I'm sure he'll end up being reimbursed for the fuel.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #93
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Good outcome for you guys and kudos on how you handled it.

Great selfie.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #94
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Wow ! sounds like a stand-up guy, Rare in the marine business. He'd get my business.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Wow ! sounds like a stand-up guy, Rare in the marine business. He'd get my business.
Can't argue with that.
Should actually name him.
After all we don't hesitate to tell the world who the less than honorable ones are, even if it's only an opinion.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #96
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Hubby spoke to the owner of the marina yesterday where we purchased the fuel and they came to a satisfactory conclusion.
Hubby had disputed the charge with our credit card company and owner is not going to fight that so we're not paying for the fuel which ssentially amounts to him splitting the cost with us. Hubby emailed him the report from the mechanic and he plans to file a claim with the report as evidence with his fuel supplier so I'm sure he'll end up being reimbursed for the fuel.
Are you planning on fueling up there again?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #97
Guru

Quote:
The marina owner is a wise businessman. He'll not get reimbursed by his supplier and he knows that. In reality, he could have fought the dispute of the charge and won. Most would have as the dispute would have angered them greatly. You believe the issue was his fuel but he has reason to believe otherwise. Ultimately no one can be sure. He decided that business wise it made more sense to take the loss on the fuel and let it go.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #98

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
The marina owner is a wise businessman. .... He decided that business wise it made more sense to take the loss on the fuel and let it go.
IT takes a $100,000.00 in good will type advertising to overcome a disgruntled customer voicing their negative experience with a business. There is validity in the old saying "the customer is always right". Marina owner handled this well.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun;
Marina owner handled this well.
He did.
It has also been stated that it is a busy and trusted facility so, hesitancy to return should not be a factor.

Somehow, I think this was a one off somewhere.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #100

Quote:
The marina owner is a wise businessman. He'll not get reimbursed by his supplier and he knows that. In reality, he could have fought the dispute of the charge and won. Most would have as the dispute would have angered them greatly. You believe the issue was his fuel but he has reason to believe otherwise. Ultimately no one can be sure. He decided that business wise it made more sense to take the loss on the fuel and let it go.
Yes he could have fought it...but IMO he handled it correctly.
We live in a small river community. I'm quite sure the owner knows the mechanic and while the mechanic obviously wouldn't outright name him as the source his words left little room for interpretation. The writing was on the wall so to speak and the owner knew it.