Old 05-25-2016, 06:56 AM   #61

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Just Asking!! Is there any special reason for running premium fuel ???

kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #62

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
Just Asking!! Is there any special reason for running premium fuel ???
Not a one....lol

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #63

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Are you two for real?

Or is this just a TF spoof gone viral.

I am beginning to suspect the latter.

So I am out for now.
I think this is a thoroughly enjoyable thread. It's like a reality show...what's going to happen to those crazy kids next?!? And then we get to debate and offer advice on how to fix it! This is great.

You got an old, relatively inexpensive boat and you can do a lot of the work yourself. Good for you! Have fun with it!
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
I think this is a thoroughly enjoyable thread. It's like a reality show...what's going to happen to those crazy kids next?!? And then we get to debate and offer advice on how to fix it! This is great.

You got an old, relatively inexpensive boat and you can do a lot of the work yourself. Good for you! Have fun with it!
We figured we could buy a relatively cheap boat and have fun fixing her up and making her our own or we could have spent twice as much and still would have to put money in it to make it our own. At least this boat the interior is all done and to my liking. Every other boat we looked at going up to $100k I would have spent a ton of money redoing the interior. As a woman, the interior was very important to me. Lol

Given this is our first boat that's not trailerable, we figured this was a good place to start. And most importantly, we don't buy things if we don't have the cash to pay for it. If we sunk the boat tomorrow it would suck, but it wouldn't cause any financial hardship. And another thing, it gives us something to DO.

We really enjoy this forum more than any of the other boating forums we've found. I'm learning a ton of stuff from reading posts here I never thought I'd have an interest in. Learning new things is fun. I wish I had something to contribute but since I don't all I can do is talk about our stuff and make fun of ourselves.

The new pump is in for the AC's so hopefully the AC's will be back working today. Thank goodness as its in the 90's here this week. And the mechanic is coming today to see about the water issue in the gas and to do an initial tune up...whatever that all entails. Hubby will be doing it himself from here on out.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #65

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post

I'm with clynn on this thread! Reminds me of our adventure when we purchased our boat. Trust me it does get better with time! BTW Stars I'm across the lake from you at Southshore. Love to meet up with you guys one day on the lake.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #66
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
I wish I had something to contribute but since I don't all I can do is talk about our stuff and make fun of ourselves.
Sounds like a contribution to me even if it is boat comedy hour. I have always been led to believe the 11th Commandment is "Thou shalt not take thyself too seriously."
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #67
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
I wish I had something to contribute but since I don't all I can do is talk about our stuff and make fun of ourselves.
Wifey B: You are contributing. "The trials and tribulations of the star people." "The perseverance of the star people." "Water over the dam and through the fuel fill." Whatever you title it, experiences not as one would wish, but one will deal with and go on to the next. Perhaps you jumped in head first rather than feet first, but you'll float back up. I love the story of N4061's new build but probably more newbies here are going to have experiences closer to yours than to what he's going through. Maybe it helps avoid some pitfalls. Maybe some lessons learned. I don't see you throwing up your hands and running though, just accepting and dealing and going on.

I also think at some point you may be able to offer advice from your experience, lessons learned the hard way. Maybe one like "next time we'll get a survey." I don't know. Just keep it coming.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #68

I'm happy to report the SOS is back up and running!
I'm also happy to report the AC's are back up and running too.

Mechanic was there for about 5 hours today...dealing with the water issue but also doing the routine maintenance he was already scheduled to do.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #69
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
That's because of the rather strange convention in the US, where you call what we call petrol, (derived from petroleum), gas, when clearly it is not a gas. What we call gas, you have to call propane or butane to make clear what you mean. At least we all call diesel, diesel.

Very good, so what what do you call erasers?
Old 05-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Bluewater Yachts - 47 ft Coastal Cruiser
Now for the technical detail. He pulled about a gallon of free water from the full system. For a tank our size and given where our fuel suction is located, it would not be possible for our engines to operate with a gallon of free water in our fuel tank. Once I have the written report, the negotiations with the marina owning the fuel dock will commence.

AC water pump replacement was pretty straight forward. Reconnect the hoses and electrical and mount the pump base plate to the platform and away we go. Water flow exiting the boat is about two times previous based on the physical distance the water achieves on exit.

On an aside relative to the location of the fuel tank, it appears from review of the owner's manual and PO documentation, the current position, configuration, and sizing of the single port side fuel tank is consistent with the previous installation right down to the tank manufacturer. The only gap is that he only replaced the port side tank. The starboard tank was removed and the fill line blanked off.

After the water pump out, the engines were restarted including the generator and were run for about 2 hours. Fuel stabilizer and water dispersant were added prior to this running. During this run period, the engines operated perfectly.

I am drafting up the plans to modify the fuel system to include water separation and draining equipment. This upgrade will probably be installed within the next couple of months.
StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #71
Veteran Member

City: Boston, MA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Actually just had to fill my rental car and not a diesel pump in sight. Fortunately found the gasoil pump without too much trouble!
Daveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #72
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Oh my goodness, such bait.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #73
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Mechanic was there for about 5 hours today.
Can you make a deal with him on an annual retainer.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:40 AM   #74
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Wifey B: Rubbers...he's from Australia.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:50 AM   #75
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Rubbers...he's from Australia.
Killjoy.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:10 AM   #76

City: Green Country
Wifey B - "I also think at some point you may be able to offer advice from your experience, lessons learned the hard way. Maybe one like "next time we'll get a survey." I don't know. Just keep it coming."

Comedy gold....

I do enjoy reading about your trials as you get your vessel up to snuff. I imagine the challenges you are experiencing are more common than not. Good luck and have fun!!
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #77
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Rubbers, actually...
Old 05-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Can you make a deal with him on an annual retainer.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #79
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
We figured we could buy a relatively cheap boat and have fun fixing her up and making her our own or we could have spent twice as much and still would have to put money in it to make it our own. At least this boat the interior is all done and to my liking. Every other boat we looked at going up to $100k I would have spent a ton of money redoing the interior. As a woman, the interior was very important to me. Lol

Given this is our first boat that's not trailerable, we figured this was a good place to start. And most importantly, we don't buy things if we don't have the cash to pay for it. If we sunk the boat tomorrow it would suck, but it wouldn't cause any financial hardship. And another thing, it gives us something to DO.
Good grief, StarsMan, do you realise what a gem of a partner you have there...unbelievable...
Old 05-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #80

Oh and we did ask him to check to see if water cold have gotten in from a leaky fuel cap or whatever you call it.

He checked it out and said the gasket or o-ring or whatever you call that thing was in good shape. Not dry rotted, not broken, and appears to be sealing when you tighten the cap and he does not at all think that could be the source of the water.

And my own aside to my hubby...considering your state of inebriation last night when you made your post, it was quite legible and made sense....good job! I'm proud of you....