Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel barge.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	52302
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #22

City: Gainesville, FL
The marina where we live (Lighthouse Point Yacht & Racquet Club) USED to have a fuel dock. But due to environmental concerns, the pumps and tanks were removed some years ago. Now, the yacht club contracts with a local fuel distributor who comes out periodically to fill resident boats which only have to come up and tie to the face dock for fueling. Even with the club's small percentage fee, it's quite a bit cheaper than going to a "normal" fuel dock. It's even better for us since we are in slip #1 and can be fueled right in our slip!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #23
Guru

City: West Coast
Since I typically take on 2,000+ gallons, and at the time had a seawall slip putting my boat about 10' from a public road with legal parking, I tried to arrange fuel delivery. After talking with several delivery companies, all of whom were happy to deliver that quantity for no extra charge (from road-tax free distributor pricing), I learned that in California, environmental restrictions require permits that basically cannot be had for this type of fueling.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thanks for the information. Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack.

FWIW, my marina policies state NO refueling of boats in the marina. When I forgot to shut off the diesel heater on my sailboat a couple years ago and emptied the fuel tank, I had to get special permission to bring down a 5 gallon container of diesel to put in my tank.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Star:
What fuel delivery service do y'all use? Thanks.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
When the AC unit cycles on temperature, the water pump automatically turns off. Set the AC thermostat to 50 degrees and try it again.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #27

City: Gainesville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
When the AC unit cycles on temperature, the water pump automatically turns off. Set the AC thermostat to 50 degrees and try it again.
Yep. Read Post #15. Still no answer from the OP.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Donsan " Just like in the old days when they brought fuel oil to homes that were fuel oil heated."

LOL: I guess it must be time to enter the modern age. Oh, no can do, no alternative fuel here, so oil heat will be around for a while. We get a tanker truck backing up the driveway about once every two years.

OP: Sorry this is not responsive to your original post.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #29
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
No problem...pumped about 40 gallons of gas in, started the engines and generator and leave the dock. Get about 100yds away and everything just shuts down. No engines, no generator. Well what the heck? The men go down into the ER and discover water in the gas tank. Drop the anchor right there in the middle of the river and call BoatUS for a tow.
Since you have gasoline, that may be Ethanol E10 gasoline. If so, and now you have visible water, that means phase separated gasoline.
10% of the former gasoline is floating as water and alcohol below the pure gasoline with lower octane on top.

If so, you can pump out all the water, and hope you get all of it. Then if you can fill up with premium gasoline, no E10 gasoline, no ethanol gas. That will help restore the octane of the fuel.

If the fuel was not E10, ethanol laced gasoline, then your problems are much less. Just pump out the water and put in more fresh gasoline, preferably non ethanol gasoline.

After the gasoline phase separated, if E10, you are left with gas of a much lower octane, maybe 3 to 5 points lower. That can cause some serious engine pinging or not depending I suppose on the engine. But it is not good for most engines to run such a low octane.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #30
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Well, it sounds like you did have a nice cruise till the water in fuel mishap. Dont worry things will be getting better! It takes some time to get to know the systems, and work out the bugs.
good luck!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #31
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Thanks for the information. Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack.

FWIW, my marina policies state NO refueling of boats in the marina. When I forgot to shut off the diesel heater on my sailboat a couple years ago and emptied the fuel tank, I had to get special permission to bring down a 5 gallon container of diesel to put in my tank.
That's what blue 5 gallon containers are for.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts SS 5000
Sorry folks, we were away all day packing up a house. So let's start with the AC water pump. This is a 1982 boat and the water pump looked like it was about the same vintage. One pump split between two AC units. Our control panels are knob style. No digital readout so, error codes, or alarms. There is also no switch that cycles the water pump with the compressor operation. The pump is hard wired in with the unit main power. Main switch on either unit means water pump on. I checked the breakers, cycled the units, and checked the wiring before isolating the pump and removing it. After removal (did I mention it was split between the two units using galvanized fitting) I tested the pump by wiring a plug on it and plugging into a shore outlet. Nothing. No run, no hum, no motor clicking, no nothing. As a disassembled the discharge tee and suction reducer, I'm amazed any water was flowing through the thing. It was clogged solid with what looked like rust particles. And yes I did check the sea strainer before disassembling the pump and it was clean (I had cleaned it about 4 days prior). So, long story short, my diagnosis is that the clogged impeller overheated the motor resulting in electrical failure. And if that isn't correct, it really doesn't matter because it still don't pump. New pump arrives tomorrow.

Now for the fuel fun. We had run the boat for about 2 and a half to 3 operating hours before pulling in for fuel. Decision to stop for fuel was mostly to practice docking and to top off from the previous few trips up and down the river. During the 2 to 3 hours of cruising, I ran the engines from idle to WOT several times. Pushing the boat and testing things. No issues (other than it still doesn't get to rated top speed but that a future troubleshooting thread ). Anyhow, engines ran great all day. At fuel dock, verified sign on pump read 100% gasoline, so unless the sign lies, I'm figuring it is supposed to be ethanol free gas. As previously stated, this is an un-manned pay at the pump fuel station. Got it all set up and pumped about 43 gallons per the meter (2 times 21.4 gallons because that equaled the max credit card payment of $75, yep do the math on that per gallon price ). Put everything back, cranked up engines, cast off lines, and idled out of the slip back to the river channel. Was just setting in to wait for the next bridge opening to pass back upriver and every engine on the boat (two mains and the gen set) shutdown within seconds of each other. Tried re-start a couple of time with no success. Dropped anchor. Opened all the hatches and got down in engine room to see what was what. Pulled the port engine fuel filter (canister with filter inside) and dumped the liquid in it into a clean metal container. No signs of separated liquid. It was all homogenous. So either all fuel or all water. Poured half a bottle of water into the container. Still no separation layer. So, conclusion was the filter housing was 100% water. Same condition on other engines. Not having the equipment on board yet to drain who know how much water, called boat US (best $165 dollars spent to date on the boat).

Contacted marina where fuel dock is first thing in the morning and left message. Called back an hour later and got a person who confirmed that they got my message and where checking their tanks and pumps. About an hour and a half later got a return call that their tanks all tested clean and dry. And they have pictures of the tape to prove it. Told them I appreciated their thoroughness and that despite their assurances I would still be disputing the credit card charges for the fuel until my mechanic had done a complete de-inventory of my fuel system and could give me an accounting of water quantity. Then if indeed it was a complete coincidence around the timing of this event, I would be happy to say so and remit payment. If on the other hand significant quantity of water is discovered for which no other plausible source can be located then they should expect a bill instead.

In the grand scheme of boating adventures, especially birthday boating adventures, I would say this day was a pretty full and adventurous one.
StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts SS 5000
And totally off topic but..... The re-cored and glassed cockpit hatches came out awesome! And the track vision is all hooked up and working. I have fixed the non-functioning oil pressure gauge. The windlass works great. I am way more of a contortionist than I ever thought possible. I know where the fuel filters are. And you can legally have a drink while being towed in.
StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #34
Guru

Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Star:
What fuel delivery service do y'all use? Thanks.
We haven't used it yet, but the receipt I saw from the PO was from Blossman. I know they require a 100 gallon minimum.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
How many fuel tanks do you have on your boat? I ask this because I have two; I had a very similar thing happen to me a couple of years ago. Pulled in to a marina to fill up tank #1, switched over to fuel tank #2, and headed out. About 15 minutes later my engine alarm goes off and I'm dead in the water. As it turned out, the gas cap for tank #2 was not seated properly (probably since the last time I filled it), and ended up with some water getting into the tank. I had a fuel-water separator in front of the engine, as well as another float filter on my engine itself, so it shut the engine down before any damage was done. I did however, drain a good couple of gallons of water out of tank #2.

Moral of the story: something as simple as an improperly seated gas cap can shut you down.
We only have one fuel tank (currently). But that was a thought and I suppose possibly still a possibility. But it sure seems that if that were the case then the problem would have made itself known prior.
We had taken the boat out 3 times...once for the sea trial and twice after we bought it. I'd say we ran it around 6-7 hours total on the existing fuel in the tank. Not even a hint of a problem. So it just seems awfully coincidental that this happened within minutes of putting fuel in the boat. And someone said well maybe adding the fuel sloshed things around in there but wouldn't running the boat for the time we ran it sloshed things around in there already?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #36

City: Ft. Myers, FL
It appears that you have a 370 gallon tank (couldn't find your exact boat, but an '83, 47' show that tank size). If you only added 43 gallons (I think that's what you said) I'm sceptical that the fuel from the dock would have had that much water in it to stall you out.

The sloshing in the boat would have actually helped you (somewhat) as water is heavier than gasoline, so the water would settle to the bottom when sitting, and gotten somewhat mixed while underway. Your tank feeds fuel from the bottom, so the first thing it would have drawn after sitting would be water.

Hmmm.......
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
That's what blue 5 gallon containers are for.
Kerosene??? Pretty sure the issue is the act of refueling, not the color of the container. I keep jerry cans of gas for the dinghy motor. I can't refuel in the marina, but nobody cares if I carry a sealed container onto my boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #38
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Kerosene??? Pretty sure the issue is the act of refueling, not the color of the container. I keep jerry cans of gas for the dinghy motor. I can't refuel in the marina, but nobody cares if I carry a sealed container onto my boat.
Ha, ha. You missed my attempt at some fun. Blue containers are for water. Carry blue containers and you won't be accused of fueling.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #39
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Not easy to pin a water in fuel issue on a vendor, especially if they hear about the issue and sneak around to the tank and do a drain.

Pretty rare in my experience for the vendor to actually be the source of water. I'm sure it happens, but rare. Mostly the water gets in from crummy deck fill caps and rain or boat wash water gets in. Why it showed up now?? No clue..

Anyhow, the good thing is water in gas does not really hurt gassers. Get the water out, get them running, then once all ok change the filters. Just don't let them sit in this condition.

Now you are finding out while boats always seem to have so many tools aboard!!!

Figure out how to lance your tank to suck out whatever is in the bottom. That's an essential thing to know how to do on any boat.

Now you are finding out why boats have so many tools on board!!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
It appears that you have a 370 gallon tank (couldn't find your exact boat, but an '83, 47' show that tank size). If you only added 43 gallons (I think that's what you said) I'm sceptical that the fuel from the dock would have had that much water in it to stall you out.

The sloshing in the boat would have actually helped you (somewhat) as water is heavier than gasoline, so the water would settle to the bottom when sitting, and gotten somewhat mixed while underway. Your tank feeds fuel from the bottom, so the first thing it would have drawn after sitting would be water.

Hmmm.......
We only have a 150 gallon tank. Originally the boat had two for a total of 300 gallons but when the PO bought it both tanks were no good so he had them removed and only put one back in and he put it in the center. They were liveaboards with no plans to go anywhere far that would require him to carry more fuel so I'm guessing it saved him money to just go back with one. That's one of the things that hubby wants to change down the road.