One of those weekends...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peter B

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Make
Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I'm sure you can all relate to this.* Last weekend was a long one - monday off - our local show day, but when your kids are grown and gone you don't tend to go to those any more, especially when the boat and Bay beckons...so "good, to the boat we go..."

All the more when for a variety of reasons, not the least being spending a significant spell in the other hemishere visiting son and famiy in the UK, we had not been out in her for over 3 months.* Now in itself, that should be a recipe for a warning, so I checked everything possible......

However, the first thing to go wrong is we noticed the damn water was not heating up.* Something to do with the last mechanical fix we had to do earlier in the year when the heat exchanger and tranny oil cooler and exhaust knuckle all had to be replaced, I suspect.* The loss and replacement of engine coolant probably caused a massive air lock somewhere, which had failed to clear because we had not travelled far enough since maybe...?* That's still the case as of our return to berth, but fortunately as it is still cool here, (passes for our winter), we could do without showers, so it was just a bit of a pain boiling the kettle to wash dishes.* Anyone have a great (preferable simple) idea for clearing this airlock?* I need simple for reasons which will become clear...

The next thing to be noticed was the automatic bilge pump and failed.* The back up pump was also jammed, but I managed to free that, but the main automatic one needs replacing.* That is/was/and still is, a work in progress - what a messy job.* I hate boat plumbing jobs.* Getting old hoses off and new ones on is the worst thing...

Not long later the GPS module decided to go AWOL. Message one loves "The GPS module is not responding"...Great..!* Fortunately it has done this trick before so I knew what join plug in under the flybridge cupboard needed a clean-up - fixed - one down anyway.

Then my wife started complaining about the stink in the frig, and we found a microscopic hole in the bottom of the squid bait bag I had in there....OMG, how is it possible for something like seafood to taste so good cooked fresh, but smell so bad when 'off'...?

Did I mention the anchor winch yet?* Yep - that failed as well.* Never missed a beat in the ten years I've owned her and umpteen yrs before that I suspect, but it had to have its turn to annoy me didn't it...?* And that after I had just replaced the chain counter magnet.* The one supplied rusted out in a year.* I enquire whether they wer available as a replacement?* "Oh sure, the man at the chandlery said, but you better sit down, as the price is $50.* FOR A MAGNET 3MM X 5MM IN SIZE....?* "You've gotta be kiddin'."* "No, he said - we pay $40 wholesale for them - come in from the US...ha...ha..."** NO WAY...!

I managed to order some, ( I say some, because the minimum order via the net was $15, and magnets perfect for the job - better than the original in fact, ie 10 x 10mm ferrite, were only 60 cents each, so I had to order 12, then plus p & P it came to the $15), from a local suppler called Aussie Magnets.* I think I might start a chain counter magnet supply business.* Anyone need one.* $1 each plus P & P extra...?

Some more expert tapping and spraying of WD 40 here and there, mostly here, because I didn't get to there yet and it also took fright and started working again.* Thank goodness, as the 2iC was beginning to get that fixed "I think I'd like to go home now" sort of grin - yah know the one....thank the lord she had a good book.

Then the final doosy.* Noticed holding tank fill to bulging ominously.* (It's a bladder type - long story), but as we were in open waters, no probs, or so I thought.* From all this non-use....you guessed it, the damn pump-out macerator pump wouldn't...would it...?* Ceased....

IN desperation I had several goes tapping with a rubber mallet.* Useful things, they are.* Finally after 2 blown fuses and my own fuse decidedly raged, I hit it one more time...extra hard right where it would hurt most...and away it went...whew... another solved - for now anyway...

However, the weekend was saved by the high points.* The weather was perfect.* Cool at night, warn in the day, sunny and calm, hardly a breeze - just enough to spin me wee wind genny, and on the way home we stopped in a beautiful secluded anchorage, and before we had got the pick down even we were surrounded by turtles and dugong (manatee in the US), right left and centre, so our heads were spinning trying to see them all.* Still didn't manage to catch one long enough for a photo sadly, they just surface, puff and dive again, just no time...but it was magic....

Now, about that airlock in the hot water circuit...?* Anybody...?

PeterB, did your boat happen to be built in the northern hemisphere?
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 16th of August 2011 10:56:35 AM

Peter B wrote:
I'm sure you can all relate to this. *

However, the first thing to go wrong is we noticed the damn water was not heating up.* Something to do with the last mechanical fix we had to do earlier in the year when the heat exchanger and tranny oil cooler and exhaust knuckle all had to be replaced, I suspect.* The loss and replacement of engine coolant probably caused a massive air lock somewhere, which had failed to clear because we had not travelled far enough since maybe...? **

------------------------

Peter

That's always the way with boating, brother!! *
evileye.gif

For every project I fix, replace, and clean there is always another waiting. I just got home, a day late, as I decided to check my bilge pumps as I was leaving. I reached into the bilge and picked up on the main Rule pump to remove it off it's base and noticed it weighed significantly more than usual. *Under closer examination, I realized it hadn't come off the base, and I was holding the entire pump, base, wood block and the two cups of resine the manufacture had used to build up and attach the wood block to the V hull. *Great!!

As far as the hot water heater, I'm assuming this is the engine hot water to hot water tank heat exhanger portion you are talking about. *I don't know your setup, but could be a blockage in the lines between the engine and hot water tank or the heat exchanger (inside the hot water heater) itself could be plugged. *I would probably start with removing the water lines between the water heater and the engine. *Check for any build ups on connectors and use a water hose to pass water through the heater hose into the hot water tank heat exchanger. *You should get a steady stream of water coming out the other hose. (you will probably have to drain some of your engine coolant when you take the hoses loose.)

If you don't get any water flow, odds are the hot water tanks heat exchanger is blocked up, probably time for a new hot water tank.

Good luck

Larry B

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Tuesday 16th of August 2011 05:30:29 PM

** Maserator pump, I removed the end off mine and drilled a hole in the center, sawed a slot in the end of the armature so when it sticks, which is often a screw driver can be inserted to break it loose. Works every time. I suppose an electric drill with bie would get the job done if the motor is burnt out. Ted D.

Old Stone wrote:
Peter - 'Have never understood how some folks can abandon their vessel all season, then come down, hop on, and just go out WITH NO PROBLEMS! I've never been that lucky. Sorry for your aggravation, but it sounds like your boat was pissed at ya for being away so long. Only other thing I can figure is (according to you avatar), she doesn't have a name on her stern. Could she be angry about that?
*No, Carl, it's not that, because I put the names on her some months ago, but was unable to get new pics until this same weekend.* See below.* But I think she was upset at the neglect, even tho Marin does not believe in boats having feelings.* If not, they give a good facsimile of it sometimes....

Don, is Taiwan Northern hemisphere?* I think it is, so yes it was made in the Northern hemishere.* Does that make a difference?

Larry, thanks for the tips, I'll follow a logical sequence of checking the plumbing like you said, but doubt it will be the coil in the cylinder - that was new not two yrs ago.* But the pipes from the engine hose and header tank - originals, so who knows what I'll find in there, but I still think it was/is an airlock, as the same thing occurred when I installed the cylinder, and it took a good long run, then she was really cocking until this last job with the cooling system again interfered.* I'll let ya'all know.

I fixed the auto bilge pump finally tonight.* Replaced it with an new 1500gph Rule, and the switch is nearly new anyway, and it works like a charm, but what a messy, fiddley job.* Still, the last one went for at least 12 years...

Attachments

• image042.jpg
    image042.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 76
  • image047.jpg
    image047.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 73
  • image033.jpg
    image033.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 81
Thanks Carl, and by the way...good luck with that re-fit of yours. I admire your bravery. I think I might have wimped out at the challenge you face. But I am only a quack with minimal woodworking experience. Fortunately, that sort of repair to damaged walls and deck was done/paid for a yard to do, by the previous owner, and I inherited the benefit of it. However there has still been plenty to do. She does look good with new paint and canvas. I'm pleased about that.

Peter B wrote:
Don, is Taiwan Northern hemisphere?* I think it is, so yes it was made in the Northern hemishere.* Does that make a difference?
*yeah, Peter.* The systems are trying to operate from an inverted position.
biggrin.gif
no.gif

Now that I have your problems figured out, I have to figure out why my systems fail on a boat that was built and operatss in the northern hemisphere.
confused.gif

Ah, right.....maybe that explains why float switches often play up down here...?

Back
Top Bottom