Old 04-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

City: SWFL
Vessel Name: Great Commission
Vessel Model: 1988 Grand Banks 32 #793
Which one? Nordic Tug or Taiwanese Trawler.

So I'm planning on starting the Great Loop next year from SW Florida. Looking at used boats now. Regardless of what I buy, I'll probably sell a year after I return. They will each bet equipped the same. Looking for advice on a few boats. 32 (34) Nordic Tug maybe with bridge or a 34 Marine Trader 32. Both will be in nice condition. NT with cummins, MT with 135 Ford, purchase at market price. I will be single handling most of the trip with a few fly in, ride for a week or so and fly out guest(1). Obviously they are not priced the same. Resale price, ease of resale, trip comfort, ease of single handling are my concerns. So I'm hoping for the forums input here. I need easy access around the decks for docking. I'm 59 and have cancer that gives me a few physical challenges. Thanks for the help.

Reel Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Many owners of each brand at this site. I don't own one, but I'm partial to Nordic Tugs. There are lots of these in the PNW and their owners love them. Built well and good resale value. Many travel to Alaska each year.

Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
The NT 32 has very narrow side decks. This is one of the reasons we bought the Eagle 32, 6" more beam and wider side decks. Good luck on the buying and safe travels.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
The NT 32 has very narrow side decks. This is one of the reasons we bought the Eagle 32, 6" more beam and wider side decks. Good luck on the buying and safe travels.
I have a friend who recently sold his NT 32, his first comment upon looking my Willard over was about how wide the rail was around the outside of the cabin.

His biggest complaint about his boat was that the engine was too large for the way he cruised the boat, too fast at idle to fish trolling, and it sooted up when run slowly for longer periods of time.

Fit and finish, as well as support from NT and the owners group were outstanding!
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I am not terribly familiar with the Marine Trader. Lots of NTs around the PNW and Iíve always thought they were very nice boats. The NT will likely have great resale value after a year of the loop.

Coming from sailboats, I was very interested in large, accessible side decks. I ended up with a boat that doesnít have them and has a very high freeboard. Even with it, I can single hand the boat just fine.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Wide decks are good. Chose not to purchase a smallish NT because the decks were too narrow. Prefer wide, 180-degree decks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raccoon strait south.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	74818  
Old 04-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. RG. Welcome aboard, if I've missed you. One thing you may consider and I don't know IF this would be available in any of the models you're looking at, is doors on both sides of the lower driving station to allow immediate access to either side in short order. As well, safe travels...
Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I own a marine trader. Not my first boat, but my first big boat. I totally love her.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
OP: Sounds like you're gearing up for a real adventure! That's awesome. I think the NT 32 will hands down beat the MT in terms of fit/finish and equipment. Resale would probably be easier too. The Nordic Tugs have an almost cult like following.

Seems like a big gap in purchase price too. What's your budget? A newer NT 32 is in the $200k range and the older ones are still low $100k's. The MT 34 seems like it can be had for well under $100k.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:41 PM   #10

City: SWFL
Vessel Name: Great Commission
Vessel Model: 1988 Grand Banks 32 #793
Thanks so much for the great response!
The NT may have a buy price of $125k
The MT is $50-$60
Both are in great shape with electronics, AC, Gen Etc .My problem is I like space and and quality. Two cabins and two heads would be nice.
Reel Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:16 AM   #11
FF
Guru

The lowest priced boats have the greatest market.

To do a zero round trip (purchase price - later sales price) is a good goal.

The simplest way to do this is to purchase in a very very low price area , Florida, and sell the boat in a much higher priced area like the NE.

Simply cleaning , polishing and keeping older but functioning equipment is best.

"PAINT SELLS THE BOAT" The walk up and see a dream is the constant.

The next owner will not value an install of " electronic upgrades" as most will be out dated after a year.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:20 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I did the loop last year, solo. Would take a long hard look at getting from the helm to either the floating bollard or lines in the locks. Certainly wouldn't want to have to hurry down from a flybridge to throw a line on a bollard.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Grace View Post
The MT is $50-$60
Both are in great shape with electronics, AC, Gen Etc .My problem is I like space and and quality. Two cabins and two heads would be nice.
space and quality usually come at a premium.

sometimes its design over function, which becomes more of a personal choice as smaller boats have less flexibility in design.

unless you get some type of a distress sale, I would normally expect the higher price on the tugs because of build quality and age.

of course you can pick up old trawlers cheap if "pretty" and "not leaking like a rain forest" arent high on the priority list.

met a guy the other day who just bought a Bristol 42 off craigslist for something like $7500 or $8500. might be the deal or disaster of the week depending on a multitude of coming details about the "real" condition of the boat.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
FF
Guru

"Would take a long hard look at getting from the helm to either the floating bollard or lines in the locks."

YES!!!

And as the boat will use a single point tie up , the cleat used , just outside the entry, should be LARGE. VERY LARGE 15 or 18 inch would be nice.

Your line end is cast on the cleat , at about 10 + ft is long enough to loop over the bollard cleat and is taken back onboard.

Then the engine is secured.

On departure the line is hauled from the bollard and taken aboard.

The line should never be long enough to reach a prop or shaft, if dropped Overboard.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
JLD

City: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Grace View Post
The MT is $50-$60
I would say don't limit yourself to just these two boats. While they are also on my shortlist (at least for now), my list also includes Island Gypsy and Grand Banks as well. An Island Gypsy Europa is on the top of my list.

If you want two heads, they its pretty much a 36 foot, tri-cabin for the IG and GB.

The NT doesn't have walk around decks (which I think is a minus) but it does have port side and starboard side doors at the pilot house and a wider saloon.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #16
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Dont discount the American Tug.

I looked at a 34ft, it had everything I wanted and needed, bought it even after a walk through of the next size up.
Remember, at least one separate shower compartment. Wouldn't have it any other way. I COULD HAVE stopped right there but, refitted it to make the boat MINE.
Washer/dryier was next. SHOULD HAVE stopped right there but the ball was 'rolling' and I was recycling the money in my checking account. No need to have old musty money in the bank.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Edgerton
Iíve developed a new fondness for the NT type tug boats myself. Not to change the subject too much, but form those in the know, whatís the largest type tug that is still trailerable? Iím also thinking of single handling future and like the ability to skip open water runs and stay river bound. Trailering could be a big advantage for me due to the fact I like up north (Wisconsin). Thoughts??
dz1drwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #18

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
An Island Gypsy Europa is on the top of my list.
And thanks to that tip, it's now on my list, too. The 'Europa' style in general really rings my bell, though I much prefer a low hp single engine, and that doesn't seem as common as twins.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1drwww View Post
Iíve developed a new fondness for the NT type tug boats myself. Not to change the subject too much, but form those in the know, whatís the largest type tug that is still trailerable? Iím also thinking of single handling future and like the ability to skip open water runs and stay river bound. Trailering could be a big advantage for me due to the fact I like up north (Wisconsin). Thoughts??
Once you go over 9 1/2' width trailering becomes problematic, with permits required and pilot car or cars. Also the weight of larger vessels makes the tow vehicle something other than your pickup truck.

I have a friend with a NT 32, he owns a delivery truck he used to tow his NT. It still required the vessel to be loaded with slings onto the trailer ($500 a pop) and a pilot car. Launching off a ramp isn't going to happen...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #20
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I met a couple that trailered their 29 Ranger tug from N Dakota to Florida for the winter with a non dually pickup.

not sure I would but it has possibilities....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote