Old 10-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Ours would be a filtering system for exhaust, especially generators, to eliminate the soot and smell.
You need to talk with Marmot and the folks at DeAngelo.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You need to talk with Marmot and the folks at DeAngelo.
That's exactly the system we're talking about.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
A new helm girl to push the auto pilot button.....

But I do not think the Admiral would be pleased...

HOLLYWOOD

Attached Images

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:08 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
So my question is for members here, what is the one thing your current boat doesn't have that you'd add first if price was not part of the equation.

Ours would be a filtering system for exhaust, especially generators, to eliminate the soot and smell.
It's a toss-up if cost was not a factor. Either a Wallas diesel cabin heat system or... a good autopilot.

As to your wish, you need to talk to Rick Boggs, formerly of this forum. He invented just such a device (that does other things, too) that is selling like hot cakes to the mega-yacht (power and sail) industry.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:14 AM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My friends have AIS, and I'm a bit jealous. I can easily live without it, but ...
Old 10-31-2014, 03:15 AM   #26
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
It's nice to see everyone's sense of humor returning, so I'll save my flippant remark for the next time.

A good question.

Makes me realize that in the past year we have managed to get everything we need or even wanted for our Atlantic Passage.

I'm going to get the Wallas in the next month or so.

I was thinking maybe a good, real isolation transformer, but as I think about it, maybe not. Why?

It takes practice to do anything well. To have gadgets for everything allows our ingenuity to get rusty.

It's been good for me to have to cobble somethingg together to have heat and hot water.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:04 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
We're gadget people. We admittedly have equipment that probably isn't necessary. However, we do occasionally use it all.

So my question is for members here, what is the one thing your current boat doesn't have that you'd add first if price was not part of the equation.

1. Auto-pilot

2. Radar

I just love the gadgets that go into boating. They add to the fun, and you have the space and time to use them

My car still only has a cassette/radio. I've thought of upgrading it to double din with screen and digital radio and CD/DVD player, but frankly I spend so little time in my car, as we use the Outback for longer trips, I can't justify the expense.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:28 AM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I want a good lightweight crane to lift my dink back up on the cabin top.

No bragg'in here ..... or pics.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Originally Posted by Marin in response to this of manyboats
I'd rather enjoy the scenery and spend more time looking at the water ahead or the clouds and sky and hence the weather ahead the traffic and all else around me/us and how it's changing. Is the surface of the water on the horizon dark and well defined or does it blend w sky? Where'd that little blue troller go? Is that a ferry dead aft? ect ect. So one's style probably chooses wether or not to have AP and how we use it.

That's as good an explanation as I've seen for why we removed the autopilot from our boat and feel no need to put one on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In response to this from BandB...So my question is for members here, what is the one thing your current boat doesn't have that you'd add first if price was not part of the equation.

It's a toss-up if cost was not a factor. Either a Wallas diesel cabin heat system or... a good autopilot.
Now that, Marin, is what I call a cognitive dissonance…
Old 10-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #30
FF
Guru

>A man sized toilet that doesnt clog when u use toilet paper<

A Skipper or Groco K will fill the bill.

Its the minitature units like Jabsco that cost less than the rebuild kit for a good unit that have hassles.

Good manual toilets with full sized bowls have been OTS for 60 years.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:01 AM   #31
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
I think of "gadgets" as being not so much permanently or semi-permanently attached to the boat... like electronics and so forth...

So... a good 14X image-stabilized binocular.

-Chris
Old 10-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #32
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Most "gadgets" that I would want have already been installed on my boat. AIS is one I've seriously considered but haven't installed yet. I've only wished I had it a handful of times so it's more of a gadget or toy than a necessity.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #33

City: Baltimore
A boat.

preferably with everyone's desired gadgets already on board.

This weekend i have 3 appointments scheduled for 4 different boats.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #34
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Dual offset keels; each encasing the shafts with full skeg coming under rudders for pivot-point and having a stout wire cage protecting each prop from flotsam, trap buoys/line… etc.

Including through hull fastenings and FRP laminates... they could also be secured in a few points via "low-drag" fashion to existing center keel. I believe the fastening fashion would not only make all three "contoured-edge" keels strongly held in place by dependency on one another... but I also have concept of their tri-keel-attachment locations acting similar to airplane wing lift, in helping to get boat easier onto plane (not that it is difficult now). Might even improve cruising performance - just a little bit at best though. Surely would make tracking really straight.

I do not feel that addition would add too much weight or drag and benefits could be plentiful, at most if not all speeds.

I ought to ask “Scary” i.e. Steve what his guestimate is for installed cost... can we spell "pretty penny"! LOL

Manyboats could help design it, Healhustler would do photo shop, Scary and I install. Slam-Dunk! Can't be much simpler that that! Maybe I can locate a "boat-fund" that provides donations for old-cruiser twin screw flow-tests toward handling improvements!

Happy Boat-Wish Daze! - Art
Attached Thumbnails
Tolly Bottom.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #35
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
A hot tub. I'm always anchored by dark so I'll be sitting in my gadget while you're peering through yours.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #36
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Stabilizers
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #37
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
A new helm girl to push the auto pilot button.....

But I do not think the Admiral would be pleased...

HOLLYWOOD

Careful Hollywood. Those kind of gadgets require a lot of servicing, and we all know how much you distain maintenance.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #38
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Art,
There was a boat in our yard that was much like a Tolly w ONE full keel. I may have a pic at home in the I-mac but not here. KK does that but keeps the keels as small as possible to (most likely) minimize drag.

Forget about planing if you do that. Probably too much drag. There will be "interplane drag" loss between the two keels but if you can overcome the drag w power the compression between the keels may give you some lift.

You'll have a lot of lateral surface aft from those keels and if they don't extend a long way fwd a bad lateral mismatch will result in a bow easily blown downwind so a big bow thruster could be in order.

Art if you want a keelboat why don't you buy one? Of course we all know the answer to that

Are you concerned about maneuvering in port or on big following seas? Or something else? Save your money Art or spend some on some powerful hydraulic thrusters. Maybe I'm reading you wrong and you just want a boat that's more of a trawler. Seems to me when you came on TF you wanted us to consider your Tolly to Be a trawler. We had quite a discussion on the matter as I recall. I loved my XK140 Jaguar roadster but I sold it and bought a Mercury cause the Merc filled my needs. Never got another Jaguar but I still think about the 140.

If this is serious stuff Art think it out and do/get what you want/need. Look for balance but we only live once. Once in a great while I think of selling Willy and buying a Bently. Choices choices choices. We can do what ever we want. But we've got to live w the results and usually that's fairly predictable if we can have a few moments of objectivity.

If I were you I'd probably do something very different. I'd curve the bottom of the aft part of the boat up to almost the WL and install two 40hp diesels. But the end result would still be a two GPH boat.

The easiest and smartest thing to do is to probably just run what you brung. Not to mention the cheapest. Heard that in car circles a long time ago.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #39

City: NC
Vessel Name: The Blue Comet
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs/ NT32
Since it is a boat, I'm thinking an ATM machine would come in handy.
ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #40
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonyCove View Post
Since it is a boat, I'm thinking an ATM machine would come in handy.

Winner!!!
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote