Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Guru

Name that icky stuff...

Removed the windows from my sundeck flybridge for maintenance. There was a white putty like substance between the teak window sill and the fiberglass sundeck overhead. In working on the windows I removed the sticky stuff and now they creak when rubbing against the fiberglass. The white sticky stuff had not dried out in 26 years and I would like to replace it. Anybody know the name of the icky stuff?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Sounds like a butyl caulk compound to me. Mine wasn't dry after over thirty years.

Replaced all of mine with butyl tape. Same as the caulk just easier to work with. A moderator on sailboatforums.com sells it. Screen name of mainsail or mainesail, he has a tutorial thread I posted here a few weeks ago. I can't find it now as I'm on my Android.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
You can buy grey Butyl tape at many hardware store including Lowe. Don't ask fo it by that name ask for tape used to seal steel building or roofing panels, it comes in a large roll and is very inexpensive.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Could it have been Dolfinte? That's what we bed our window frame in. It never really dries out unless exposed to air. On the other hand I wouldn't classify it as sticky other than to your hands. It is not an adhesive.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28

Boatyard Bedding Compound is designed for bedding down deck hardware, molding cleats, padeyes, flanges, transoms, cabin trunks, keels, etc. Its surface hardens to make it receptive to paint, but remains soft and pliable underneath to provide waterproofing and flexibility. It prevents leaking and rotting between double planking joints.

This is similar to Dolfinite.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Or it might have been Sikaflex...also used in places like that because it does not dry out and shrink.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote