One Anchor or two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which is why we have a VERTICAL windlass.

I can feed chain or rode into either chain locker.

Great way to go, I also like how neat and integrated they look.

Unfortunately not all boats allow the vertical clearance required to get the proper fall to allow them to work properly, my boat is one of them.

Next boat! :blush:

So many winches have a gypsy to stbd and a drum to port w the gypsy lined up w the bow roller. What would anybody do w the drum? It's so far off center engaging the bow roller and (or with) the winch drum well to port seems not doable to me.

Eric, if the windlass is positioned far enough aft of the roller (say, 3 or 4 feet) and on center line, the resulting small angle that the rode has with the wildcat and drum will not cause problems.

Wider winches with even more space between wildcat and drum will need to placed even further from the bow roller for this strategy to work.

Here is my set up. I mounted the windlass dead center on the boat. Primary rode is 160 feet chain and 200 feet of NYLON. Drum and Gypsy both work perfectly. Note: Drum also used to haul secondary anchor mixed rode and yes, the chain is a little rough on the drum.

Steve

2015%20Sept%20011_zpsvdukljhe.jpg

Steve,
Looks like the port rode has a sheave w a nylon roller. How does it work?

Steve,
Looks like the port rode has a sheave w a nylon roller. How does it work?

Eric, Are you asking for an explanation of the workings of port side, rode/roller?

Or are asking for a report on well it works? (It works fine)

Steve

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and info. Always a lot to consider and appreciate all the comments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom