Old 12-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin,
They make a fairly big bunji for anchoring off the beach w smaller boats. I have one .. It's blue. Looks like blue Brait. Idea is that you anchor fairly close to the beach ... motor to the beach stretching out the bunji, get out and pay out the painter while the bunji pulls the boat out well away from the beach.

A smaller bunji would work well for trip lines. Rig the line and bunji lengths right and the float would always have enough tension on it to keep it right above the anchor. Most approaching boaters will assume it is.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
As opposed to a single gypsy????

Or the hydraulic pump packs it in, or hose leaks, or whatever drives the pump....
As opposed to two winches. Assuming one would work .... like twin engines.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #23

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Anchors good.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: West Coast
I faced that question when I had my boat built. In my case, the anchor locker volume was limited to about 500 feet of all chain. I decided to put it all on one oversized anchor and do not regret my decision, but there have been plenty of times that I wished I could drop a fishing anchor on some rocks. I may still rig that up, but without the benefit of it self-tailing into a locker.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
I guess it really depends on how much you will be anchoring and over what range of geography you will be cruising. For me, a double anchor double windlass is a "dream boat" must-have.
Did someone say a double anchor double windlass with 2 all chain roads?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1601.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	47335

Name:	DSCN1647.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	47337

Name:	DSCN1591.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	47336

Hope I never need the second one. Glad I won't be wasting precious time digging it out. After all, we all know, if you need the second one, you're probably heading toward FUBAR.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #26
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
As opposed to two winches. Assuming one would work .... like twin engines.
Quote:
SOL if the electrical pack it in so w the double gypsy I'd be think'in a hydraulic winch.
You said "winch" singular, so that's why i responded as I did. You could certainly get two separate windlasses, that would be pretty cool. But winch failure isn't a show stopper unless you and crew can't raise the anchor with elbow grease.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #27

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
All blah blah aside....... It's not the size, it's what you can do with it. Ask yourself: Self, can you run to the foredeck and drop a good enough anchor with a reasonable amount of chain, BELAYED ALREADY at the end of said chain in ..... oh .....20 seconds?

I always had my tackle set up that way, and one day it saved my bacon. I'll post the story if y'all are interested.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Most forty-something boats I've observed have two anchor on the bow. I have only one since my mid-thirty-foot boat has half the volume.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:27 AM   #29

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
All blah blah aside....... It's not the size, it's what you can do with it. Ask yourself: Self, can you run to the foredeck and drop a good enough anchor with a reasonable amount of chain, BELAYED ALREADY at the end of said chain in ..... oh .....20 seconds?

I always had my tackle set up that way, and one day it saved my bacon. I'll post the story if y'all are interested.
I'd be interested.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:11 AM   #30
Guru

Me too. An anchor is mostly used for securing/parking a boat, but it`s also an emergency safety device you want to know will work when you need it.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:32 AM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
...can you run to the foredeck and drop a good enough anchor with a reasonable amount of chain, BELAYED ALREADY at the end of said chain in ..... oh .....20 seconds?
That's a no brainer on most boats. It certainly is on ours; even our dog can do it. We have a self-deploying anchor so it's simply a matter of releasing the chain stop and backing off on the wildcat's friction brake. The anchor heads for the bottom immediately.

Now, we never actually deploy it this way because we don't get into situations where we'd have to. Instead we power the anchor out using the windlass motor and footswitch.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #32
FF
Guru

Remember the windlass or capstan has far more uses than just dragging the anchor back aboard.

Be sure it can help with line handling for many other tasks.

If outfitting from scratch I would add ( 2 ) 2 speed geared sail winches one on each stern quarter, docking , dink hoisting or bringing aboard the stern anchor.

Most folks cruise short handed , and when docking a bride that can pill 1200lbs with no effort is always a delight!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Seems an oxymoron that a two anchor and dual windlass setup is advocated by those with a single engine vessel.

But, in all seriousness, that is why we have a fortress with a short chain attached to rope rode setup. Easy to deploy and retrieve if need be. It sits unused in its red bag.

Which reminds me, time to have a pro go through my windlass this spring. Kinda like those with a single engine - don't want it to fail.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #34
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Given a choice, I'd prefer a purpose-designed pulpit for two anchors (OC's setup, for example)... and I'd mount two different anchor styles. Both sized as a storm anchor for the boat, but also both known for good holding in different bottoms.

Can't do that on our current boat; the hatch cover over our windlass/rode locker sits too low to mount an additional capstan or gypsy on top of our windlass, and there's a built-in rode channel in there that precludes using a vertical windlass with a gypsy on each side... and two rodes in the same locker would be a mess, anyway.

Best we've been able to do is mount one anchor (SuperMAX) on its own rode (rope/chain, for here in our Chesapeake mud)... and we keep a Fortress (I can lift it!) and spare rode available for other bottom conditions, kedging (once), additional deployment if necessary (so far, not yet).

-Chris
Old 12-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #35
Guru

If you cruise you need two anchors at the ready. A great boating friend told me this and I complied. Then 2 years later my second anchor saved me. If I had to drag it out of a locker someplace I would have been in big trouble.
Now I always have 2 anchors ready to deploy.
I use a Danforth and a Delta. Not saying these are best, but 2 different types are necessary IMO.
Many times I deploy 2 anchors depending on the conditions of wind, bottom and swinging room. Always off the bow.
Almost never use a float to indicate anchor position. I would rather someone swing harmlessly over my anchor than get caught on some float line.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #36
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
If you cruise you need two anchors at the ready. A great boating friend told me this and I complied. Then 2 years later my second anchor saved me. If I had to drag it out of a locker someplace I would have been in big trouble.
Now I always have 2 anchors ready to deploy.
I use a Danforth and a Delta. Not saying these are best, but 2 different types are necessary IMO.
Many times I deploy 2 anchors depending on the conditions of wind, bottom and swinging room. Always off the bow.
Almost never use a float to indicate anchor position. I would rather someone swing harmlessly over my anchor than get caught on some float line.
+1

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
As opposed to a single gypsy????

Or the hydraulic pump packs it in, or hose leaks, or whatever drives the pump....
Actually I meant two windlass w dedicated wiring or plumbing. Like a twin engine boat. If one fails simply use the other.

The confusion probably was two gypsies on one winch and two winches .. all in the same conversation.

the difficult part of two windlass is probably the chain locker arrangement.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -
We don't use a float to mark the anchor position. We use it to hold the anchor's trip line which we use in anchorages with the risk of a foul bottom due to old logging site activity or other reasons. If we don't use a trip line we don't use the float.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #39
Guru

I realize that Marin but w a device that takes up the slack both anchor position and emergency retrieval could be realized. Just an added benefit. Also knowing where the anchor is can help you make other anchoring decisions. When we used a trip line I thought at times that the anchor could be under the float or under the boat. Guessing helped me be aware of wind and current. Here's our trip line float in Red Bay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STH71559 copy.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	47353  

Old 12-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We don't use a float to mark the anchor position. We use it to hold the anchor's trip line which we use in anchorages with the risk of a foul bottom due to old logging site activity or other reasons. If we don't use a trip line we don't use the float.
That makes sense. Around where I boat we don't have that hazard to contend with however some use a float to mark their anchor position. All that really does is clog up the anchorage and create potential hazards.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote