Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #21

RE: Onboard coffee

*Tatlayoko, For regular coffee we use a coffee press some call it a French Press or Bodum. For espresso we use a coffee espresso by Benjamin & Medwin. Both make a great cup on the propane stove. Safe and Happy Boating PJ.

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/group_c...GF7TPRJCE681C1

http://www.fantes.com/bellman-parts.html

Pacific Joule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #22
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:

I'm into simplicity and portability. The simple filter cone (melita style) works for me. Just add filter coffee and boiling water. Found a site that sells ceramic (don't like plastic ones) filter cones and filters in several different sizes. Sometimes simple is good.

Sweet Maria's Filters Cones

Ted
There a number of good options available at that site. Ted, why your preference for ceramic over plastic? Better taste? My only concern would be breakage.*

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #23

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: ANDROMEDA
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 400
Onboard coffee

"J ".
We have been using the French press ( Caffitere ) for years.

We even have one on the boat.

I am going to presume that most know how to use this wonderful simple coffee making *device.

The absolute criteria is the water quality, try bottled distilled.

This is my routine *to get our ideal cup of coffee to which there are variations.

However, what suits one person will not suite another.

it is like the 5,000 different wines *available,there is a need to experiment.

This is what i do, firstly,but we like our coffee reasonably strong.*

Our selection to start with is French Roast , that is a very dark coffee grind.

If you Grind your own, the grind should be very fine but not so fine as to be able to pass through the plunger screen.

A level table spoon per mug *per person is as strong as most people can manage.

For water capacity , go for a dry run and add two mugs of water *to the beaker jar to establish a fill mark for two people.

Hot water should be off the boil ,we don't want to scald the coffee grind.
Just blanche it.

The brewing process is 4 minutes stirring frequently with a wooden chop stick ,we don't want to break the glass beaker with a metal spoon.

The Coffee is ready to go.

There are variations of your choosing to the whole process.

DONT RE HEAT PRE MADE COFFEE ,Tonto.

But one thing you cant change is serving coffee to the first mate in bed every morning.

A Note *:-
Coffee is a vegetable so you can add the very*smallest amount of salt to bring out the flavor or add some chocolate to taste .

Phase 2 is Motorcycle Coffee.

Donald & Mavis

-- Edited by SOMERS on Sunday 6th of March 2011 06:46:07 PM
SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Sounds like there's a lot of addicted folks on here. I'd just use the Meleta plastic cone like thing and some hot water. We drink lots of tea onboard and coffee in port. In Alaska we like to go to all the little towns and love to walk around town and eat in the cafes w the fishermen. Down south I know you'all like to get as far away from civilization as possible but we like our towns and that includes Juneau ect ect. We have 2 camp grounds on Prince of Wales Island and they are way out in the middle of nowhere not even close to water. So most of the campers camp in town right by the harbor crapper and showers. The Forest Service has a lot of people from down south and I think some of them brought their camp-
ground attitudes from down south.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #25
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

We've just been using the Meleta plastic cone as well. My wife quit drinking coffee RIGHT after she got me drinking it so I am the only one. I may get a little 4 cup Mr. Coffee though- I have one at the house and the office and it works pretty good.

Now the big question is- what brand coffee??? For me- Dunkin Donuts coffee is just about the best to be had. How people drink that starbucks junk is beyond me.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:Now the big question is- what brand coffee??? For me- Dunkin Donuts coffee is just about the best to be had. How people drink that starbucks junk is beyond me.
Starbucks is indeed bad stuff. Dunkin Donuts is good, especially if you grind your* own. My favorite though is Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve Fair Trade.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

*I'd just use the Meleta plastic cone like thing and some hot water. We drink lots of tea onboard .
I love coffee but I don't really care what the brand is as long as it's strong. I use one of those little coffee cup cones like Eric. *I always have the diesel stove going even in the summer as this is Alaska. So I just keep a pot of water boiling.

Easy to set the cone and filter on top of the cup and*wamm coffee.

If it's rough out I may just drop in the guts and let her perk up a pot.

I always drink coffee.

I just love boat coffee.

SD*

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

We've got a wonderful coffee place here in Craig * *...the Wheelhouse.
We go there first when we go to town (Craig) to drink "Killer" coffee
and read our books awhile. They get their beans all over So America
and grind them. They also have chocolate candy bars w Irish cream ctr's.
Here's Chris, grandson David and myself in the Wheelhouse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 541.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	5295  
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #29
Per
Guru

i will have to check out some of those options.
we had a french press on the boat, it was ok but kinda messy and a lot of clean up (grinds get stuck in the press). Then we got one of those minibrewers, its ok but not great so right now we just use the starbucks instand coffee, much better than other instant coffees but expensive...
my preference would be some sort of espresso thing, americano is my preferred coffee beverage.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

We've got a wonderful coffee place here in Craig * *...the Wheelhouse.
We go there first when we go to town (Craig) to drink "Killer" coffee
and read our books awhile. They get their beans all over So America
and grind them. They also have chocolate candy bars w Irish cream ctr's.
Here's Chris, grandson David and myself in the Wheelhouse.
A bit off topic, but Eric, you have rather a resemblance to the other Erik, with the 'k' doing the Clipper 30 restoration as we speak.* He went for Black hull or very dark blue by the looks - now back to coffee.*
I must admit we do mini-plunger coffees on the boat as we don't have AC, but we could use a stove-top espresso I guess.* I've even been known to use coffee bags, or (dare I say it) instant.* But as the S'Dude says....any coffee tastes good when you are 'out there'.....

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Quote:
Conrad wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

I'm into simplicity and portability. The simple filter cone (melita style) works for me. Just add filter coffee and boiling water. Found a site that sells ceramic (don't like plastic ones) filter cones and filters in several different sizes. Sometimes simple is good.

Ted
There a number of good options available at that site. Ted, why your preference for ceramic over plastic? Better taste? My only concern would be breakage.

Ceramic cleans up much better than plastic. My favorite mug is 25+ years old and ceramic. After over 5,000 cups of coffee, the surface inside and out is as good as new. Plastic cups and mugs are best not looked at too closely after a hundred uses or so.

I have 2 of their ceramic cones (#1 & #2). They are very heavy with a thick coating. While I can't guaranty they won't break when their dropped on concrete, repeated tests at my house prove they won't break when dropped on wood floors.

Ted

O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:

Conrad wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

Ted
There a number of good options available at that site. Ted, why your preference for ceramic over plastic? Better taste? My only concern would be breakage.

Ceramic cleans up much better than plastic. My favorite mug is 25+ years old and ceramic. After over 5,000 cups of coffee, the surface inside and out is as good as new. Plastic cups and mugs are best not looked at too closely after a hundred uses or so.

I have 2 of their ceramic cones (#1 & #2). They are very heavy with a thick coating. While I can't guaranty they won't break when their dropped on concrete, repeated tests at my house prove they won't break when dropped on wood floors.

Ted

Thanks for the feedback Ted; certainly agree with your comment about ceramic mugs but actually had never run across ceramic filter cones before.*

Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Now the big question is- what brand coffee??? For me- Dunkin Donuts coffee is just about the best to be had. How people drink that starbucks junk is beyond me.
+1 for DD

Ted

O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #34
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

*Costco Kirkland brand coffee 100% Columbian at 3# for $9.95 is the best coffee for the money IMHO.* Brewed any way you want.* It's especially good at the mountain cabin perked while the bacon is frying.* However, coffee on a boat is good anytime.
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #35

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

How people drink that starbucks junk is beyond me.
I couldn't agree more. We went there once, but I only had $10, so we shared a cup.

DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:46 AM   #36
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

8 O'Clock 100% Colombian* whole bean, freshly ground. I used to work for Continental Coffee Company and got very familiar with the various basic coffees and blends. Colombian is always a winner! The best blends out there? McDonalds and Dunkin' Doughnuts.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #37
Guru

Gee this thread has gotten almost as much activity as running a twin boat, single engine.

I love my boat coffee, but I'm pretty simple when it comes to brewing. I won't start the genny to brew coffee, so I use a portable butane single burner and a coleman drip coffee maker with dunkin donuts coffee. Works pretty well for me.

At home we have the k-cup with the insert so have dunkin donuts coffee at home too.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Now I want some of this morvelous Dunkin' Doughnuts coffee. I wonder if we can get it here?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #39
Guru

In my search to find a Dunkin' Donuts outlet in my area (Calgary or points west), I found this announcement:

http://news.dunkindonuts.com/dunkin+...up+brewers.htm

Which is good for Keurig owners, but alas not for me, as Dunkin' Donuts does not exist in western Canada apparently.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #40
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

I also have problems passing a Dunkin Donuts store, but during seven years in the Dominican Republic, I got hooked on Santo Domingo coffee, and I haven't found a better way to prepare it than in the traditional Italian Expresso Greca, pictured here. *Once, while in Herabacoa, a mountain town in the center of the country, I was served coffee with beans fresh roasted and ground off the bushes of the property. *It's one of those experiences I've looked to repeat ever since.
Attached Images

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote