Old 07-07-2016, 04:17 AM   #21
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I like your realistic enthusiasm, Denise. I'm sure you'll get there. It's a fun journey, even if it may not make financial sense.
Doing your own work certainly helps control the costs somewhat, although the "list" never seems to get shorter; the boat just gets nicer.

AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I like your realistic enthusiasm, Denise. I'm sure you'll get there. It's a fun journey, even if it may not make financial sense.
Doing your own work certainly helps control the costs somewhat, although the "list" never seems to get shorter; the boat just gets nicer.
Than what????

The only reason something has not broken on a boat is because it doesn't feel like breaking - yet! That includes items factory original as well as items we (you) have already fixed or added. The reason we use terms such as "she", "her" and when pissed at it "its", in referring to a (our) boat, is because their souls are female. Therefrom... one can ascertain... when you (we) keep momma happy - everybody's happy!!

Point in fact; I've never heard a boat called "he", "him", or "his". Reason: If boats carried male souls things would just be too damn simple. We men like to cater to our women... boats carry a lucky mental-extension in a man's mind's-eye (or woman's mind' eye)... for visualizing the female gender that men (or women) (you, me, we) consistently enjoy tending to.

Happy Boat-Improvement Daze! - Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #23

City: Bristol PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Well, I bought a 1978 Marine Trader three years ago. Changed the oil, filters and impellers and did the Great Loop, Bahamas three times and spent two summers in the Chesapeake. 14,000 miles +.

In that time the bottom has been painted twice, replaced carpets, refinished a lot of teak. I had to rebuild transmission last year because I waited to long to change out the cooler. This year the generator needed sone maintenance requiring a real mechanic.

That's it. Great older trawler. Take your time, there are some good bargains on good boats.

Good luck,
Arch
That is freaking amazing! Nice score!
DeniseO30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #24

This has been very helpful!

I must say the maintenance and mechanical systems, woodworking and fiberglass issues of owning a boat like this (or sail) are not a problem.

The logistics and cost are overwhelming since I'd be on a shoe string budget (just like here in the house) I don't really think living aboard is necessarily cheaper but it would be mortgage free.

I think another forum has a "living aboard for $500 a month and another for $3000 a month" the prior being me and most is my guess

I do think I would be a "cool cruiser" seeking out cool and cold weather instead of Hazy Hot and Humid. I can see me wanting to be in TN or south in the winter. and Maine (Gawd I love Maine!) in summer. But that is a trip I'd probably never make, even If I had the $ resources!

It would make much better sense to "park the boat" in July and august and maybe January and February. But that raises another question are there places that will take a boat for 2-3 months only? Don't most marinas want yearly contracts only?
(I'll post these questions in another forum section soon)
Thank you everyone!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Rhode River, MD
Vessel Name: WayWeGo
Vessel Model: Trojan F36
Denise, another option that has not been mentioned is to buy a boat that is not a trawler, but use it like one. That is the path we decided to take for a number of reasons.

There are a lot of nice older boats like Chris Craft, Trojan, and Silverton in your area that are in the price range you mentioned. You have to be careful because many of them are floating wrecks, but the nice ones don't sell for much of a premium and some of them have been lovingly cared for.

You would have gas engines at that price, but unless you put a lot of miles under your keel, that would most likely save you money in the long run. I think of it as almost having a semi-displacement trawler with benefits. Compared to most older trawlers of similar size, we have much more room inside the cabin and the boat is more stable at anchor, which is important as one of our daughters gets seasick. We also have the option to run at 20+ knots if we need to, though we normally cruise at six knots.
Waywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #26

Thanks Way,, but a Trawler would be the only boat for me. I know about older powerboats. I'm in a Yacht club and years & years go by there they sit. I did come from a 30ft sailboat. really thought that was the end.. but.. I'm still wanting.. and now not having, my like for trawlers, is growing into love LOL
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #27
Art
Guru

Hi Denise

Our Tolly is the most spacious and comfortable and sea capable 34' x 12'6" beam boat I know of. Extremely well constructed. It has twin 350 cid, 255 hp gasers that run well. Can WOT at 22/23 knots (at OMG nmpg), cruise at 16 to 17 knots (at 1 nmpg), and go 6.5 to 7 knots (that's just below hull speed - that calcs at 7.58 knots) doing 2 nmpg. On one engine at a time propels it 4.5 to 5 knots getting 3 +/- nmpg. If you do same, be sure to find out if trany for dormant engine can free wheel or if you need to lock it. Freewheel makes for a bit better nmpg. Borg Warner Velvet drive trany can free wheel. At least the models in our Tolly can.

Some of the other brands' classic aged "trawlers" or sedans like Hatts, Chris, Trojan... etc... in the 34' range will closely mimic what Tollycraft offers.

Happy Boat-Shopping Daze! - Art
Old 07-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #28

BoatPoker there's a ChoyLee on Ebay!

Already getting disillusioned here.

I may have to, just by costs alone, go back to a sailboat in this quest.

. Think I'll get back to working on house until the "gotta sell this house" feeling hits me again.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #29

City: Exumas
Vessel Name: Bad Monkey
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
"Well, I bought a 1978 Marine Trader three years ago. Changed the oil, filters and impellers and did the Great Loop, Bahamas three times and spent two summers in the Chesapeake. 14,000 miles +."
Now that's what you are meant to do!!!
Denise if you look at my "A Bad Monkey Tail" here in General Discussions you will get an idea of what, or, how far one can go, (and you could go a lot further!). I am enjoying the project, but it is costing more than I had thought by about 30%. The above Marine Trader sounds like a dream so many people have wanted. I hope you find that for yourself!

"Eagles may soar, but monkeys don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #30

City: Exumas
Vessel Name: Bad Monkey
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Also if you go to Gulfstar facebook page there was a boat fore sale a month or so ago that looked like a bargain. They seemed to have done a lot of work to the boat. It was priced in the low 20s but may be a little bigger than what you were looking for.
Good luck.

"Eagles may soar, but monkeys don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #31

City: Redlands
To answer the question about marinas by the month. Almost all marinas offer a monthly price that is often half the daily cost. A good way to travel. But, on your budget, consider anchoring at a cost of near $0.00. Also look into mooring balls by the month. A one of many nice spots is Washington NC monthly dockage $7.00 per foot per month with moorings for far less. Their daily rate is $1.25 per night. Take a look at Active Captain to get an idea of Marina costs.
Arch
Old 07-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #32
Art
Guru

Anchoring out was always my families way of boating; remains mine today. Dock staying (at annual berth or marinas during travel) while aboard boat is less than 1% for me)

Hanging on anchor while aboard boat - is boating! Docking while aboard boat is, well - docking.

Happy Boat-Stay Daze! - Art
Old 07-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #33

I really enjoy being on the hook also, when cruising the Chesapeake bay it was great!

Please everyone, don't take me as set on one type of boat even though I l love the larger traditional boats.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #34

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hanging on anchor while aboard boat - is boating! Docking while aboard boat is, well - docking.
Shore power and showers and WiFi and poker games at the home marina have their attractions. They can bridge the city to the wild.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #35
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones44 View Post
Shore power and showers and WiFi and poker games at the home marina have their attractions. They can bridge the city to the wild.
Each to their own. Different strokes for different folks. We live in very rural area (but, just 40 minutes to center San Francisco) and anchor out... because we B liken quiet whenever we can.

My general wake time is 4:30 to 5:00; sleep, 9:30 to 10:00... whether home or aboard. Lots of day activities in all locations. Good eve movies on boat, after dusk.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:07 AM   #36
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
Thanks Way,, but a Trawler would be the only boat for me. I know about older powerboats.

I suspect you're making a distinction here, but I don't exactly see what it might be. An older trawler is an older powerboat...

??

-Chris
Old 07-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I suspect you're making a distinction here, but I don't exactly see what it might be. An older trawler is an older powerboat...

??

-Chris
Go fast boats just sit, sailboats and trawler types or boats with amenities seem to get used more
Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #38
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
It's the captain that makes the boat go, not the hull design or engines.....

Used to also be the wallet....but the fuel price drop took the wallet out of the short list....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #39
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
Go fast boats just sit, sailboats and trawler types or boats with amenities seem to get used more

Bazillions of "old powerboats" are not go-fast type... and yet are not "trawler-like" either.

Picking something out of the blue, look at an older single-screw Shamrock (for instance), neither trawler nor go-fast. Sea Rays older '80s model 34 sedan flybridge boats might be another example; neither trawler nor go-fast. And so forth...

Although maybe your definition of go-fast might come into play...

What brands/models do you find if you search only on your preferred length and diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

What he said.

-Chris
Old 07-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #40
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Used to also be the wallet....but the fuel price drop took the wallet out of the short list....
That (previously constant) short list item can still get pretty tall if you've a big single or twins and want to push a heavy ol' fully outfitted pleasure cruiser fast!

Loping along at a bit below hill speed can give 2 + nmpg... if you go real slow on just one screw of the twins coming to 3 nmpg is possible. This is the case even in heavy older boats that hold power plant[s] capable of well over 20 knot cruise. 20 + knot cruise can begin to really suck down fuel tank levels... like at the 1/3 to 1/2 nmpg rate - especially in heavily constructed, fully loaded, older pleasure boats.