Old 06-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Does the Bayliner you're looking at have a lower helm station, and if so is that where you like to drive? A friend with a 38 Bayliner has very bad visibility from the lower helm and can't drive from there. Can't see over the nose. Something you might check out.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
I'd buy the '97 42 OA in Annapolis, have the inoperative engine repaired or replaced, run the northern portion of the loop to Menominee, Michigan, give it to D and B Yacht Transport, and ship it to the west coast. Gorgeous boat. On second thought, maybe I'll buy it and fix it, then sell our 44 OA.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
First look

Good thought I saw that they lowered the price. I figured I could either get the current engine running or swap out a rebuilt and still come out ahead on that one depending on shipping. As well, I'd have to have the other one checked out. If I had to repower both engines then it starts to get less appealing.

I would say I am leaning towards the OA line. I like to drive from the fly whenever possible and then only in the coldest weather will I go back down to the salon.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I'd buy the '97 42 OA in Annapolis, have the inoperative engine repaired or replaced, run the northern portion of the loop to Menominee, Michigan, give it to D and B Yacht Transport, and ship it to the west coast. Gorgeous boat. On second thought, maybe I'll buy it and fix it, then sell our 44 OA.
435 hp 3208 Cats are scary. If one is inoperable i’m Guessing it blew up. If one was pushed so hard it blew up, the other is probably right behind it. At 375 hp the 3208 Cat is a great motor.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #25
Guru

Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
435 hp 3208 Cats are scary. If one is inoperable i’m Guessing it blew up. If one was pushed so hard it blew up, the other is probably right behind it. At 375 hp the 3208 Cat is a great motor.
Didn't notice that - for sure. I would guess they were ran hard or neglected. Either way it's probably two new motors for that boat. Maybe hit them hard for the boat, repower with a cummins package or JD.

I however, don't know I have time for that. I think I have located one that I'll be asking my broker to write an offer on and see where it goes.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #26
Guru

Re-powering an old boat rarely makes sense. Rebuilding the current engines and limiting the the throttles is most likely the only sensible solution. Long block can be had for $10,000, still expect another $5,000 in unexpected and miscellanies parts and then labor. So at $20,000 a side plus $20,000 to cover loss of use subtracted from an average selling price of $140,000 puts you at $80,000. Not to mention no sea trial so there is a risk of bent shafts or failed gearboxes. If I was going to take this on i wouldn’t want to pay more than $75,000. I think the boat is over priced in an as is condition.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #27
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Here's one of the boats I am looking at right now. It checks off a lot of the boxes, intact all of them with the exception of one. Close enough to the budget I'd fly to take a look at. However I am leary of the engines, I have heard good and bad on these and don't want something as important as engines to be a problem.

The Annapolis listing says 600 hours on the Cat 3208s. Not a lot, if the engines we normally well-maintained, not flogged to death, etc. Did you ask why the starboard engine is inop? Could be something less than death...

-Chris
Old 06-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #28
Guru

I contacted the broker. Rather elusive response regarding the bad engine....says mechanic can't make an assessment until it's torn down. That could mean a lot of things....from a blown head gasket to a rod through the block. I advised that potential buyers will want a little more info before making a decision...I could remove the heads and oil pan in a few days.

The "good" engine could be surveyed if they'd put the boat in the water. In fact that boat could be run from Maryland to the Great Lakes on one engine with no problem.,,,assuming the bow thruster is working. Big rudders on the OAs. In any case, there's no way I'd contract for an engine rebuild or replacement except by a yard that was nearby.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I don’t think I would start on a trip from Maryland to the Grest Lakes with one engine not working. There are a ton of locks to go through and with only one engine that is offset the boat will be a handful to maneuver in the locks. When the wind gets blowing through some of the locks it is allyou can do with either 2 engines or one on the centerline. Maybe with 2 people to handle lines but still can be risky when there are a bunch of boats in the lock. If they don’t have any definitie fix I would count on a new engine or a complete rebuild.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
OK, this is regarding older boats Vs newer boats in general.

I have never been on a OA42, or a Bayliner 3988 although I do own a Bayliner 4788, so these are generalized older vs newer thoughts.

Recreational boat manufacturing has made several significant changes over the years. We went from wood construction to fiberglass in the early 1970’s for example. Because of that huge change, few even consider a wooden boat anymore.

During the 1980’s and 1990’s several other significant manufacturing changes occurred as well.

A big change was going from Balsa cored decks to structural foam cored decks. This single change eliminated the entire problem of deck soft spots due to water ingress and core rot.

Fuel tanks were another change. There are plenty of older boats that were built with iron/steel fuel tanks, and many of those older tanks have had to be replaced, or will need to be replaced soon. Newer boats seem to have Aluminum tanks that have a much longer service life.

When I was boat shopping those issues weighed heavy on my mind, and they are huge dollar repair items. That change in manufacturing process and materials is one of the biggest reasons I choose to spend money on a newer boat vs a older boat.

There is nothing wrong with older boats. Nothing at all. They represent a wonderful value for the dollar, and many of them were built like tanks. For me, at that point in life, a newer boat represented less risk of future big ticket repairs, so that is where I decided to spend my money.

As I indicated I have never been on a OA42 or a Bayliner 3988 the two models in question by the OP. This is just my thoughts in general, and something to consider when making a boat purchase.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #31

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
I have been a full time liveaboard on my 1997 3988 for 13 years. I use it to cruise a lot and as my home. Over the years I have enjoyed it and spent $$ on upgrading the systems. 2 new engines installed myself. Most other work I do myself as well. My reasons for buying this model were many and various. It is single handable with reasonable care. I can walk from the dock to the cockpit without stairs to climb.
The galley is well laid out as are the appliances. Engine room access is quite good as well and I am 71 with all the associated creaky joints. And yes, I was able to change the holding tank vent hose myself although it was just at the end of my reach. I intend to keep on with this boat and have no reason to change.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #32
Guru

[QUOTE=Comodave;770817]I don’t think I would start on a trip from Maryland to the Grest Lakes with one engine not working. There are a ton of locks to go through and with only one engine that is offset the boat will be a handful to maneuver in the locks. QUOTE]

I think it's manageable if one avoids the big locks on the Seaway. Pull the dead prop, big rudders, fairly large prop on the good side, thruster. Annapolis, up the Chesapeake, Chesapeake -Delaware canal. Pick a good window for the run up to New York. Hudson to Lake Champlain to the Richelieu/Chambly, St Lawrence to Montreal, north on the Ottawa River at Montreal, Rideau, Trent-Severn.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #33
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders;770826[B
There is nothing wrong with older boats. Nothing at all. They represent a wonderful value for the dollar, and many of them were built like tanks. For me, at that point in life, a newer boat represented less risk of future big ticket repairs, so that is where I decided to spend my money..
I couldn't agree more!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:02 AM   #34
FF
Guru

"For me, at that point in life, a newer boat represented less risk of future big ticket repairs, so that is where I decided to spend my money."

Perhaps, but when electronic ignition repair parts cost as much as a rebuilt mechanical engine , the question then becomes which mechanical engine , and how hard is it usually run?

Engine service lives can be approximated , a lightning side strike can not.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #35
Guru

Feedback

Great feedback.

Both very good boats for sure. Can't wait to see the OA in person. Will keep everyone informed during the process for sure!
Old 06-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #36

City: Essex
Vessel Name: Merlion
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
I think we have narrowed this down to two different models that really work out well for the family. OA 42 or Bayliner 3988. If it's an OA it will be powered with the 3208 Cats and if it's a Bayliner it will be powered with the Cummins 330 HP. My must have list,
Flybridge
Salon station
Two staterooms
Sedan - easy access from salon to cockpit as I will be single handling it from time to time.
Thoughts about both? Have you owned either - better yet. Tell me about your experiences. So excited to be really focusing and hunting for our new boat to come. Leaving AK this week from a cruise I was on I can't wait to return from Portland. I plan on at least once making the inside back to Glacier. 90% of the time though poking around Portland. Once a year heading back to the San Juans. Looking forward to feedback.
Hmmm let’s see...choice between a Bentley and a Chevy
Vignette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #37

City: Grass Valley Ca
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander
Oa 42

Three years ago purchased a 1988 OA 42,had been sitting in Newport ca for about 4 years, minimum maintenance, other than zinc's. It's got 3208 375hp turbos with around 2000hrs. Had raw water impellers,oil,& basic maintenance done and brought her up to SF. I do most of maintenance but I've been an aircraft mechanic so really no difference.
Also last month hauled out and bottom has some small blisters but not enough to get excited about.
Gel-coat on bridge cabin sides was Spyder cracked big time,hot SoCal sun didn't help but they must've been learning when glassing, epoxy putty and paint makes it presentable.
I have friends with the Bayliner and both are very comfortable, every boat is a compromise, make sure you get a good mech to check the engines! most of the systems can be repaired/replaced so get a good survey. OA's are well put together and you can even get support from Seattle. Rides very sweet not to bad fuel wise and they look like a boat should look.
learjett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #38
Guru

OA 42' owner search

Anyone know the owner of this fine OA in Seattle?
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992...sedan-3547124/

Reason being, made an offer and not sure if the broker presented to the owner for consideration. Want to make sure they know I have a true desire to negotiate in good faith. Based off the response I received it doesn't appear the owner knows about the offer.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #39
Guru

I know who the owner is. However I don’t really think it would be proper for me to reach out at this time. Washington broker’s are required to present all offers so I can’t imagine your offer not being presented. The owner of the boat is not local so expect some time before you receive an answer.

I am assuming you made an offer in writing with a deposit. If didn’t do that, then I doubt the broker will contact the owner.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #40
Guru

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I know who the owner is. However I don’t really think it would be proper for me to reach out at this time. Washington broker’s are required to present all offers so I can’t imagine your offer not being presented. The owner of the boat is not local so expect some time before you receive an answer.

I am assuming you made an offer in writing with a deposit. If didn’t do that, then I doubt the broker will contact the owner.
Yes in writing with a deposit. I am in a very similar field and have experienced that not all offers are presented. I recently was representing a client on a business transaction only to find out weeks after our offer was sent into the broker the owner never received it. That broker is no longer representing that seller. The day the contract was sent out it was received back with only a hand written dollar amount scratched in it. No initials, no signatures. Tells me it's possible the owner never saw it.

Thanks for the reply.