Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Older Garmin BlueChart mobile accidentally deleted

So my wife got the iPad I use mostly on boat confused with another older iPad I got from my parents that she was going to clear out for her dad. She deleted a bunch of programs including my Garmin BlueChart I’ve been using for the past few years before she realized her error.

I reinstalled the BlueChart app but can’t get any maps to load. I know it’s been discontinued for awhile but I was still using it in the Bahamas with no problems. But now I guess I have to get another chart that will run into this older iPad 3 32g.

For Bahamas cruising and ICW running, what do y’all suggest I replace the BlueChart with?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Have a look at threads with comments about Aquamap US/Master. Optional USACE survey overlays, Waterway Guide and ActiveCaptain markers, plus Explorer Charts for Bahamas.

The Android version is a bit quirky but not insurmountable. I've read on another forum the iThing version is rock solid.

-Chris
Old 12-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I have the same issue, but I did not delete the app from the iPad. A recent update that Apple did resulted in the maps going away. I think Navionics/Garmin had Apple break it so you buy the Navionics app. That's my conspiracy theory anyway. It sucks because that property we paid for and they just stole it from us. Rant over.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Before you go down a different road, have you considered restoring that iPad from the most recent backup? The charts may/should still be in there.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
Before you go down a different road, have you considered restoring that iPad from the most recent backup? The charts may/should still be in there.
I’m too chicken to try that.

I still have all my tracks and waypoints which are pretty useless now. I feel like I got ripped off since I did pay for the charts.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
I have the same issue, but I did not delete the app from the iPad. A recent update that Apple did resulted in the maps going away. I think Navionics/Garmin had Apple break it so you buy the Navionics app. That's my conspiracy theory anyway. It sucks because that property we paid for and they just stole it from us. Rant over.
Same here. Just checked the Garmin BlueChart app and maps are gone so I uninstalled. Moving on, I've been using Navionics for a while now on my iThings and like it a lot better, so I won't miss the Garmin BlueChart mobile. It does seem kind of underhanded the way they effectively rendered it unusable though.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #7
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I use Aquamaps on an Android and have not experienced any quirkiness. Quirky how? Any examples? Do you use an Android?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Have a look at threads with comments about Aquamap US/Master. Optional USACE survey overlays, Waterway Guide and ActiveCaptain markers, plus Explorer Charts for Bahamas.

The Android version is a bit quirky but not insurmountable. I've read on another forum the iThing version is rock solid.

-Chris
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I’m too chicken to try that.
Well, you really can’t do any harm and you may be able to recover your charts. You have nothing to lose since the charts are already gone. I’ve used the restore feature a few times and it works great. But it’s your call.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Your Bluechart app, in addition to the charts that you purchased, aren't in your cloud? I'm asking because I've installed the long-ago discontinued Garmin Helm app on the iPad app I'm using now and probably my iPhone from my cloud and it works like it always did, even when Garmin still supported it.
We might be talking apples & oranges though because the helm app doesn't contain any charts. It simply mirrors on my I-device what's on the screen of my Garmin mfd.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I use Aquamaps on an Android and have not experienced any quirkiness. Quirky how? Any examples? Do you use an Android?
Unexpected crashes, incomplete (i.e., failed) chart grid loads (although some of those might have been connectivity related), and disappearing WG/AC markers. Their tech support guys mentioned once that they were having trouble with Android versions, but I don't know if they meant with the OS in general, or with specific tablet brands/models (ours are Samsung), or what. Sometimes their Italian-English isn't quite so clear...

Mostly once it's up and running for a given session, it's been stable.

-Chris
Old 12-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #11
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Same here. Just checked the Garmin BlueChart app and maps are gone so I uninstalled. Moving on, I've been using Navionics for a while now on my iThings and like it a lot better, so I won't miss the Garmin BlueChart mobile. It does seem kind of underhanded the way they effectively rendered it unusable though.
I lost all the personal data I entered. I had Mile marker waypoints for the ICW and some of the loop. It was nice for planning because you didn't have to zoom in to see. I also lost all the caution markers I set up for bridges I couldn't get under. You can still export all your personal data. I am told it is comparable with some other programs. I forget which ones. I think they can be added to Active Captain, but it's not very good.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Older Garmin BlueChart mobile accidentally deleted

Quote:

-Chris

Thanks all.

Is this the Aquamap app? I’ve paid for and downloaded some duds before so just trying to make sure.

Explorer charts for the Bahamas are what I want so that’s a plus.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7379.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	97172
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #13
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Geez, never had any of those issues on Samsung Tab S3 and S4. Perhaps Aquamaps has worked out all the bugs.
Quote:
Unexpected crashes, incomplete (i.e., failed) chart grid loads (although some of those might have been connectivity related), and disappearing WG/AC markers. Their tech support guys mentioned once that they were having trouble with Android versions, but I don't know if they meant with the OS in general, or with specific tablet brands/models (ours are Samsung), or what. Sometimes their Italian-English isn't quite so clear...

Mostly once it's up and running for a given session, it's been stable.

-Chris
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Thanks all.

Is this the Aquamap app? I’ve paid for and downloaded some duds before so just trying to make sure.

Explorer charts for the Bahamas are what I want so that’s a plus.

Yep, think that's it. Then you can also buy the $10 USACE surveys in-app. I don't remember if the Explorer Charts are extra $$ or not... since we haven't needed them.

If you intend to install on multiple devices DO log into (in-app) their own site before doing the subsequent installations.

-Chris
Old 12-05-2019, 06:29 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Geez, never had any of those issues on Samsung Tab S3 and S4. Perhaps Aquamaps has worked out all the bugs.

Seems to be becoming more stable. Ours are both Tab A...

One of our consistent crashes was right after start-up. Notice chart tile icon says we can get an update. Tap chart tile icon. Crash.

It might be that waiting a bit for start-up to complete.... or at least do more of whatever before tapping the icon... mitigates that a bit...

-Chris