Older and 1st tier or newer but 2nd tier...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iv'e updated my avatar to reflect my boating experience. Please keep this in mind when responding to my sometimes juvenile boating comments.

I just realized you and some others may not know what tier 1,2,3,4 is in relationship to marine engines.
The tier rating is an emmissions compliance rating rather than an engine manufacturing quality.

Tier 1 was the oldest (dirtier) emmission standard and subsequent emmissions regs were mandated to apply at certain dates. we are now at tier 3/4. Many peeps wanted older tiered engines for mechanical control as opposed to electronic versions. Compliance is much easier with electronic versions.

Last edited:
Iv'e updated my avatar to reflect my boating experience. Please keep this in mind when responding to my sometimes juvenile boating comments.

So what makes you think you want to boat, that you're interested in a trawler? Surely you've experienced something to give you that indication more than just watching boats go by? If not, your first step needs to be to do some boating. Either friends or charter or something. It might not be for you or significant other or you might quickly find the kind of boat you like or don't like.

You're learning and asking questions. Thats good.

Something to keep in mind regarding capabilities needed for Coastal Cruising.

About a year ago a nice couple took their 34' 1980's vintage Taiwan Trawler all the way from Vancouver Island I think to Cabo San Lucas.

34'...1980's. Probably a sliding rear door, and for sure not a "destroyer" door.

I'm guessing that is a $30-40K boat, and I'm guessing high.

The point is get something you like, and whatever you choose it will work just fine. With a $300K budget you have allot of choices. You could get anything from a nice passagemaker style boat to a very nice fast cruiser. There are lots of tradeoffs to consider.

Things like rough water capability, speed capability, fuel endurance, interior volume are all variables that change quite a bit depending on the boat you buy.

Some will choose rough water capability. But in doing that they generally give up some speed and interior volume. Some will choose a boat that is bigger on the inside. But in doing that they give up rough water capability, or speed, or nice side decks.

All boats are a compromise. You just have to decide what compromises are important to you.

Last edited:
Brief biography:
Aside from my boat ride as a youngster at Seaside Heights I have been an avid fisherman since my teens, from renting small outboards in Sheepshead Bay to party boats off the Jersey shore. I've also done shark fishing off Montauk and overnight trips for tuna well offshore. From those experiences Iv'e always had a fascination for boats. Aside from that I've rented pontoon boats in Bermuda and explored the island. So not much hands on. My wife and 2 sons have booked a trip this summer to BVI for a six day learning experience on a 39' cat. We will have a captain on board to teach us both on water and book lessons on board. Theoretically and I emphasis theoretically if I pass the on water and book test I will be certified to bareboat charter boats up to 50 ft. At the end of this month I will be taking the NJ safe boating test and plan to rent small to medium boats later in the year. I then hope to have additional lesson(s) on chartered trawlers probably out of the Chesapeake Bay. Maybe I can even get one of the members here to take me out and get further experience on the water (all cost of course on me). And then and only then will I pull the trigger. I am a handy person by nature growing up in a household where my father did everything himself, plumbing, electric, auto repairs etc. I was always by his side. As a teen I worked for an excavation company operating, repairing and maintaining diesel powered equipment. I'm not a person that can sit still, I need to keep moving and I think the trawler lifestyle is well suited for my retirement years. Forward I go.............

"I need to keep moving and I think the trawler lifestyle is well suited for my retirement years. Forward I go............."

What makes you think a "trawler" is a better retirement choice than a "motor yacht"?

Far more MY are US built , so may require far less maint.

Newbie, I think your strategy is a good one. Training and chartering are great steps for someone without much time on the water. Your family will find out if you like it and get some experience to help you decide what types of boats you may like.

For $300, I would look at a used North Pacific 43'. It is the boat I ended up with. You can get a well built boat with modern features that is very reasonably priced. Nice size for a family of four yet easy for a couple to manage.

Back
Top Bottom