Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

City: Upper Kingsclear
Vessel Name: Halliday
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Old Yellow ceilings

Any suggestions what to do to improve the Look of old yellow ceilings short of tearing them out?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
ToTheLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
From another thread earlier today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I had 4 Polyform G5 which cleaned up afterwards ok, they were not sticky, but they had embedded stains, and nothing could remove, bleach, gas, acetone, etc...
Went looking again for a vinyl paint and tried this Duplicolor. They turned out nice looking and the paint is well stuck on the fenders. They are rinsed off in the pics, so not glossy looking.

I let them dry for a week before use. Strung them along a rope for painting. Took 1.5 cans to paint 3 fenders. The paint is $8 at O'reilly's auto part, which is best price around.
The same paint should work on your vinyl headliner. It looks the same as mine, and I might also try this paint trick.

Thanks SDowney!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I used spray paint on a previous boat headliner. Worked fine.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Maybe check what is underneath. Two Riviera owners on my marina had dropped headlining where glue had failed. One removed the vinyl headliner to reveal a perfectly finished shiny gelcoat surface which after all the glue remnants were removed, looked good as is.The second followed suit, with similar results.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings eh?
Welcome aboard in case I missed you. I've used this product with impressive results: https://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

I wanted to get a 1 gal. to 2 gal. plastic can for diesel to top up the Racors when changing elements. I could not find any small cans in yellow, only red. I sprayed a 1 gal. can with the yellow almost 2 years ago and absolutely no sign of peeling or degradation. Note: I notice on the Krylon website they caution against using on flexible substrates but even though your liner IS flexible, it really doesn't flex, does it?

You will have to be extremely careful in masking and covering those areas and items you don't want over spray on. If not too difficult, I would suggest removing the teak cross strips when painting.

Remember, protective gear and LOTS of ventilation.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Those teak strips are removable, but if you want to put them back, you will need new plugs over all of the screws and naturally, new varnish. Far easier to mask them off. especially if you use tape the right width.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. k. You're absolutely correct. Dowels/plugs over the strip fasteners. In that case, I concur. Mask them over. I'm gonna have to spend yet another $1 for stronger glasses...

Old 09-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
In the previous boat that I painted the headliner, I used paint made to paint vinyl. It is out there mostly in auto restoration sites. I also had teak battens on the headliner. I removed the plugs and unscrewed them. When I reinstalled the battens I did not replace the bungs but rather used decorative stainless washers with screws to hold the battens up. It worked out well since I actually had to remove the headliner panels a couple more times during the ownership of that boat. That way I didn’t have to remove the bungs again and it was really easy to drop the headliner for work on wiring.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:10 AM   #9
FF
Guru

"Those teak strips are removable, but if you want to put them back, you will need new plugs over all of the screws and naturally, new varnish."

Plan B , for folks that might want access to the overhead , and can put up with the "look" is evenly spaced brass oval head screws and finishing washers.

This makes R&R of the strips really fast .

BEWARE , take a magnet when looking for brass finishing washers , many ae steel with brass plating.

We has to go to a marine supplier for real brass.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Haven't used this product myself, but I book marked it a couple of years back. Probably from a thread on TF.

https://www.rubnrestore.com/
Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #11

City: Lutz
Im thinking of rolling on KILTZ "Adhesion" a water based latex paint primer
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #12

City: Stockton CA
Vessel Name: Chrysalis
Vessel Model: Golden Star
I’m a bit of a purest so my thought would be to clean it. And varnish the strips in place. You hadn’t mentioned cleaning it but I use a product called Awesome and it’s a concentrate so you can dilute as needed. I might even be tempted to add some bath cleaner with the Awesome. Section at a time and a good Cabernet might make it like brand new.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
There flat white sprays made to cover stains. Available at home stores. I've used them in remodeling after a smoking owner. They last as long as other paint and give the overhead a clean uniform look.
I also used the spray to cover silicone caulk that normal marine paints won't stick to.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote