This Old Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowandsteady

Vessel Make
Mainship 34 III
Sitting at home,channel surfing (cuz I don't have a boat yet!) and I'm seeing a bunch of home improvement shows, a slew of car shows, many cooking shows, even survival shows, but why not boat shows? I know you can't flip a boat and actually MAKE money so how about a combination DIY boat show, marine survival, reality show? Anyone have any ideas?

I think it would come down to demographic.
just not enough people working on boats.

It is all about the money.

Perhaps a cable TV show would work.

SD

It's called Ship Shape TV. It's pretty good. They filmed a segment on the Lehr propane outboard at my store.
Ship Shape TV

Below Deck on Bravo TV

This one is a bit tacky and somewhat phony, but it tells the story behind the scenes of the high end yacht charter business. It's made seedier than normal by TV yacht crews substituting for the real crews, but it can be lightly entertaining. Bravo TV is running a string of the shows tomorrow.

Below Deck | Bravo TV Official Site

I think it would come down to demographic.
just not enough people working on boats.

It is all about the money.

Perhaps a cable TV show would work.

SD

SD, Before you headed for the island you had a pretty good couple of videos. Kinda hoped you'd share some more of those.

Ship Shape TV is nothing more than advertising, I timed a show and out of a 30 minute show there was 23 minutes of ads and 7 minutes of content worth listening to; that is if you haven't owned a boat longer than an hour.

Ship Shape TV is nothing more than advertising, I timed a show and out of a 30 minute show there was 23 minutes of ads and 7 minutes of content worth listening to; that is if you haven't owned a boat longer than an hour.

Agreed... However, there ARE a few bright spot from time-to-time. I record the show every week and rarely is there any real information for trawler owners could use and ZERO for sailors. Like Knot Head said, it's just a 30-minute product placement show where the highest bidder gets a feature done about them where they get carte blanche access to say whatever they want about their products.

Every other week is a plug for Sunbrella or Evenrude or Raymarine or West Systems. It gets old. Yet, I still watch it with the hope he would really start to do something new.

Moreover, John Greviskis could be the worst TV show host ever. He's probably a great guy and I know he must really loves boating, but it always seems like he talks to his audience like we are a bunch of 5 year-old's that have zero boating knowledge and have never heard of the internet. He lobs these softball questions to his "guests" that really don't lead anywhere. Spending more time, again, pretending we are completely clueless, building a hypothetical scenario that ALWAYS ends with (and this is an inside joke Bess and I have) the question: "Is there some resource you have where we can goooooo, where we might be able to learn more about your products? A place where our many questions could be answered? Something like a portal to a web of information that is globally available to us. Is there some place like that you can share with all of us?"

Anyway... Sorry to rant off like this. Like I said, there are a few things I have picked up, but often times, it's kinda hard to stomach.

Tom-

Wow Tom, you hit it right on the head!
"Is your boat ship shape?"

SD, Before you headed for the island you had a pretty good couple of videos. Kinda hoped you'd share some more of those.

Are you talking about play time like my crabbing video or the 3208 coolant leak thing?

It could be a good idea just to have someone film things when next I am working on my boat or anothers. ( which seems like I am doing all the time.)

Hey we could all do that.

Post a video.

SD

I understand what you guys are saying about Ship Shape TV. It is one long product placement ad. The thing is that these are all products we use or might use and the manufacturers rep who comes on the show is the best guy to tell you how to use the product.

John's interview style sounds very scripted to allow the product rep to show his product in the best light. It's not scripted, he's just trying to help the guy explain his product.

John himself is a very nice guy who loves boats. I keep running into him at boat shows and once he came to an event we had at my store. He wants me to buy advertising but it's a little out of my price range.

When he filmed the segment on Lehr outboards in my store, he showed up with no warning. We had just received the outboards and my VP / Store Manager, Dave, didn't know much about them. I wasn't even there. Dave did the interview and he looked like a deer caught in headlights. It was pretty funny.

Are you talking about play time like my crabbing video or the 3208 coolant leak thing?

It could be a good idea just to have someone film things when next I am working on my boat or anothers. ( which seems like I am doing all the time.)

Hey we could all do that.

Post a video.

SD

I missed the coolant leak video just have to read that awesome thread again and find it. The crabbing videos I remember.

Why not? Posting videos could be fun, especially ones showing my docking prowess or lack thereof :hide:

I didn't do a video on the coolant leak but I have a lot of tape on it.

But you are totally right. Instructional video.

Yeah man.

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom