Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post

That makes 60 the new 30!
So that makes me a teenager again!

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #22

My father will turn 91 this June. He owns a 1967 Grand Banks 32, and lives aboard in Hessel, Michigan from May through September. Of course, he doesn't cruise like he and my mother used to do before she passed, but he still runs the boat from Mackinaw City to Hessel every spring (where he's sort of honorary Captain of the Docks) and then back to Mackinaw in the fall every year. And he takes her out for the occasional ride.

I've got a GB32 too, and I'd be happy if I could handle my boat half as well as he does in close quarters!

If you ask me, he's 90 BECAUSE he owns a trawler!

Ted

thugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
I'm almost 78, and do not see any problems. I can contort myself in the bilge, run up the ladder to the bridge, and dive my bottom to scrub it just fine.
But John, isn't your boat still on the hard? (Sorry, but sometimes I just can't help myself. )

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Captain Ray,
If it's your youth and inexperience that they're worried about the so be it, tell em to stick it!

I lived in Franklin back in '83 for a summer switching the phone system over to digital, great place but not very navigable. Getting the boat up the Cullusaja Gorge would be hell!
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #25

City: Franklin,NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Captain Ray,
If it's your youth and inexperience that they're worried about the so be it, tell em to stick it!

I lived in Franklin back in '83 for a summer switching the phone system over to digital, great place but not very navigable. Getting the boat up the Cullusaja Gorge would be hell!
======It would be a very interesting trip! Yes, Franklin is a beautiful area and would like to spend only 6 months of the year here. I have been in the marine industry as a surveyor and yacht captain (in the VI) for the last 30+ years and really want to get back to the water. I am burdened by the usual aches and pains of age, but I think that I could handle the general maintalnance of a small trawler. Looking at a 32' IG that would be the perfect size. Family is a problem that I hope to resolve in the coming months. Wish me luck = Capt Ray
captain ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Well, youth and inexperience certainly is not an issue! If you have done it for 30 years, seems to me a few more can't hurt!

Good luck!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain ray View Post
Looking at a 32' IG that would be the perfect size.
Great choice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaHorse ii.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	19410  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
RED

I'm 70 and been boating for 50+ years - ready to go for another 50 ;-)
Ran offshore from Portland, Or up to the Canadian cruising grounds last year and plan to go again this year. Life on the water is great, go for it!
RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Orig owner of our Tolly was early 90's when he had to leave boating. Fellow I met last year when surveying his boat for purchase was mid 90's and needed help on, off, and to get around his boat... so... it was time for him to retire from boating.

Admiral and I are in early 60's... can easily see still boating for 30 years or more! At least we sure hope so!!

Boating is not ruled by any particular age bracket... but rather by health, enjoyment, excitement, and sheer addiction we boaters have to fun on the water in our own boats!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
While in the Albin group there was a couple I believe in their mid 80s that did the loop starting at the headwaters of the Mississippi, down the river all around and through the Great Lakes almost to the point of origin.

They did it on an Albin 25 and trailered from lower BC Canada.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I am 43 and almost was forced to give up before we had even started a year or so ago. Health can be a fickle thing and is far from age dependent.

In our case once the medical junk was in my rear view mirror I started looking forward through the windshield of an Owens. Our Owens is capable of a Loop trip in relative comfort if we so choose, perhaps a crossing to the islands in the right weather window.

My grandmother got around well enough that had I owned a boat she would of enjoyed it into her early 90's. Her mid 90's where not as kind when I lost her to altziemers disease.

Age is only a number, it's your general mental and physical health that matters. Buy a boat with a windlass, pod steering and thrusters and the doggone thing will almost dock itself, which is the most trying part of recreational cruising for most. At least physically speaking anyway.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #32
Guru

One of our predicted log racers will be 99 this year. He came in 5th place out of 12 boats yesterday.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
So is it your age, the kind/type of boat you want to buy and/or spending there inheritance?

Most younger people like go fast and sleek boats. My children would be very happy if we sold the ugly old slow trawler and bought a 30 to 40 go fast boat they could use. The do come and use the run about and Livingston most weeks, and even have trailer them on their vacations. Now that they are older, have children, and some common sense, we donít mind too much!

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote