Old 02-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #21

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
I find the forum funny, helpful, creative in thought. However often redundant certain topics are revisited or redundant; it is all worth posting. If nothing else, there is a funny-bone being tickled. I hope cynicism is keep at a minimum. Happy Trails.

TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
What's so wrong about repeating the same query? There are new members with different perspectives, new insights, new products, and the search function sucks.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
I'm sure there are plenty of people like me, in that when I find something I'm interested in, I absolutely bury myself in it. It will occupy all of my free time and attention span. More often than not, I'll burn myself out on it, and then move on to the next obsession. I do it all the time with music. When I find a song I really like, I listen to it until I hate it. I always come back to the good ones eventually though. The same thing has applied to TF for me. Sometimes, I check it ten times a day, sometimes I wont check it for ten days. So it goes.

I don't mind things getting a little repetitive. I just group those threads in with the other ones I'm not interested in, and keep skimming. I agree that the built in search function isn't very useful. The google search that some have posted is much more helpful.

A big thank you to all of you who have answered my repetitive questions!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer;
I'm sure there are plenty of people like me, in that when I find something I'm interested in, I absolutely bury myself in it. It will occupy all of my free time and attention span. More often than not, I'll burn myself out on it, and then move on to the next obsession.
Well, nice to know I'm not alone. More daylight will make it easier to kick.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Look at it this way - eventually all things pass. TF will some day[s] be a distant memory. Soooo - Enjoy it while we got it!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:10 AM   #27
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Yes some of us are still here but probably not as active as it occasionally gets a bit boring and we are not allowed to talk about really good anchors.
I joined in July 07 when I came across from the old Passagemaker forum.
Being from the great southland a lot of stuff can be a bit irrelevant to us and our mob don't post as often as we could or should.
It id terrific that we keep getting new members and sometimes it is good to rehash old subjects with some new perspectives.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #28
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Yes some of us are still here but probably not as active as it occasionally gets a bit boring and we are not allowed to talk about really good anchors.
I joined in July 07 when I came across from the old Passagemaker forum.
Being from the great southland a lot of stuff can be a bit irrelevant to us and our mob don't post as often as we could or should.
It id terrific that we keep getting new members and sometimes it is good to rehash old subjects with some new perspectives.
"... we are not allowed to talk about really good anchors." - Say What??

Please clarify... I missing something here? Really Good Anchors... tell us more, please!!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:06 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
"... we are not allowed to talk about really good anchors." - Say What??

Please clarify... I missing something here? Really Good Anchors... tell us more, please!!
Ah...not quite correct. You can discuss anchors all you like. I enjoy a good anchor discussion with the best of them. It's anchor 'wars' we want to discourage, that's all.

Benn, have you been following Panope Steve's excellent 'Anchor setting videos' thread for example..?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #30
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
BruceK;418256]
And finally, some members who cease posting, short or longterm, may not do so voluntarily. In that regard, we need to trust our Moderators.
[/B]

Bruce have you seen the film 'The Third Man', brilliant film. I am nominating you for the role of Holy Martins, in the remake. But who to cast as Harry Lime? ( if only I had the ability you would all be listening to the music score right now).
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #31
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ah...not quite correct. You can discuss anchors all you like. I enjoy a good anchor discussion with the best of them. It's anchor 'wars' we want to discourage, that's all.

Benn, have you been following Panope Steve's excellent 'Anchor setting videos' thread for example..?
Pete

I'd like to say that Panope Steve's "anchor setting" many, many clear video reviews of numerous different brand anchors is the most informative and overall the most useful thread on TF. That thread and its videos should be reviewed by all boaters... old-salts and newbies alike.

I believe that Steve's thread should become a "sticky".

Having spent decades on and in the water and being an avid swimmer/diver and having a few times been swimming outfitted on the bottom to actually watch "Danforth - Style" anchors in process of setting (btw, Danforth style is by far and away my favorite, trusted anchor design) I have seen first hand and do already know what Steve is showing regarding "first-setting" of anchor... but... Due to Steve's ingenious camera-capture video capabilities, his several in-depth maneuvers of varied force-level-pulls against an anchor as well as his accurate representations of different scope %ages and boat angle reversals from wind/current = Steve's anchor-capability videos being simply outstanding.

I vote for Steve! - whatever that means!! - LOL
Old 02-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #32

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
One of my hobbies is WWII aviation history, and there was a very good forum called "Lancaster Archive Forum". A strange name, I know but it had several RAF and RCAF veterans and there was a lot of great content.
Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Hi Jim, delighted to see I'm not the only WW2 aviation nut here. Check out (113squadron,com) if you get bored for something to do. I built this site and others over a decade ago to capture this important history.

Unlike your Lancaster site that absconded with all that priceless history the veterans submitted, mine was a labour of love with the sole goal that the veterans stories be captured before it was too late and to make it available to the public for all the generations to come.

It was a massive undertaking and I'm too old and addle minded to keep the sites active anymore so I shut down the connected forums but the information and history within the web sites will remain forever.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #33
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo
It was a massive undertaking and I'm too old and addle minded to keep the sites active anymore so I shut down the connected forums but the information and history within the web sites will remain forever.
And so it should be that your labour of love is easily reached by all.

http://www.113squadron.com/
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
Hi Jim, delighted to see I'm not the only WW2 aviation nut here. Check out (113squadron,com) if you get bored for something to do. I built this site and others over a decade ago to capture this important history.

Unlike your Lancaster site that absconded with all that priceless history the veterans submitted, mine was a labour of love with the sole goal that the veterans stories be captured before it was too late and to make it available to the public for all the generations to come.

Just for S&G I'd like to add in that my Dad went into the war before U.S. entered... by joining the RCAF. He flew Spitfire planes as photographic reconnaissance. i.e. a "Photo Freddie". Soon after U.S. joined the war he became pilot for the Navy. Flew wounded shoulders state side. Met my mom, "Honey", a nurse. The rest is history. As I grew-up, many a war story I've heard from both of them.