Old 12-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #21

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Bob, No, we picked up the mooring early in the day and went ashore and took in Buchart Gardens. The following morning we cruised back up Sanich Inlet and went on to Ganges. If a person is fortunate to pick up a mooring buoy in Buchart Cove I think there is no better way to see Buchart Gardens. We viewed the gardens until we were tired and hungry then went back to the boat for lunch and a nap. Refreshed, we returned to the gardens until after dark.

There are a lot of classic boats cruising in this area. There is also so much to see.

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #22

City: Gainesville, FL
PHK, Yes, that is my "barn". I have had that checkerboard vinyl tile floor down for 20 years and it has held up great. However, the Buick has been residing in my garage over the last year while I have been building this out in the barn...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0534.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	35630  

Old 12-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
WhatWhat!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 12-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #24

Forklift are you buying or selling or just showing off you classic boat?
Old 12-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post
Bob, No, we picked up the mooring early in the day and went ashore and took in Buchart Gardens. The following morning we cruised back up Sanich Inlet and went on to Ganges. If a person is fortunate to pick up a mooring buoy in Buchart Cove I think there is no better way to see Buchart Gardens. We viewed the gardens until we were tired and hungry then went back to the boat for lunch and a nap. Refreshed, we returned to the gardens until after dark.

There are a lot of classic boats cruising in this area. There is also so much to see.

That's exactly what we did. Walked out the gate as the lights went out, it is a spectacular place at night!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #26
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post
Forklift are you buying or selling or just showing off you classic boat?

Budds O,
Was just commenting on the cool hot rod.... I love my old Present 42, and hope to continue to work on her for years to come!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 12-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
Budds O,
I love my old Present 42, and hope to continue to work on her for years to come!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Of course I'm biased but I like the looks of your boat. Its worth working on for years to come.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:10 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
We moored in Buchart Cove a few years ago and did the gardens. Very worthwhile thing to see. As a floatplane pilot it was entertaining to see Harbour Air maneuvering their turbine Otters to and from the dock. Thank God for beta props.

While there we saw this amazing flotilla of jellyfish (second shot). The "school" stretched for a couple hundred yards just outside the cove.

Last shot is my idea of a classic car (I'm not a fan of American cars). I used to have one of these in college in Colorado; a Mark II that the previous owner had installed a Jaguar XK engine in. The XK conversion was a really bad idea I found out but at least he'd kept the orignal engine.

It was one of those things I think about now and wonder how I could have been so dumb to sell it. But I went back to Hawaii after my freshman year and it just wasn't practical (or affordable) for me to take the car with me. So I sold it back to the guy I'd bought it from. He probably still has it and it's probably worth a zillion dollars. The 3000s in the photo were in a Vancouver Island car club that paid a visit to the restaurant in Genoa Bay while we were there one year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p1040248.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	35691   Click image for larger version

Name:	jellyfish1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	35692   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1030952.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	35693  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #29
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Wow, that water is solid jellyfish. We anchored on Todd Inlet when we did the Gardens, one of the most beautiful days and nights ever. That Inlet gives a new definition to the word "serene." Eagles in the trees, seals goofing around in the water at dawn. One of our favorite memories.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Marin - Last time I saw jellyfish infestation similar to that was Boston Harbor; mid 1960's

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #31
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=Marin;292972]

Last shot is my idea of a classic car (I'm not a fan of American cars). I used to have one of these in college in Colorado; a Mark II that the previous owner had installed a Jaguar XK engine in.

The two tone black & red was my favourite, though I agree why bother with the XK engine, I assume you are talking about the 4.2 not the 3.8ltr engine, or was that prior to your emission regulations?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #32

Love the big Healeys too. My dad was a dealer for them when they were new. Of course you can't touch a decent big Healey anymore for less than about $50K...

By the way Forkliftt, thanks for the compliment on my '33 Ford Hot Rod. It's a Factory Five and I have been building it for a little over a year - when I can find the time to get back to the homestead in Gainesville! Hope to complete bodywork and have it painted early 2015.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11-28-13 Pic 8.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	35701   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9080025.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	35702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	35703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	35704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	35705  

Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #33
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
Love the big Healeys too. My dad was a dealer for them when they were new. Of course you can't touch a decent big Healey anymore for less than about $50K...

By the way Forkliftt, thanks for the compliment on my '33 Ford Hot Rod. It's a Factory Five and I have been building it for a little over a year - when I can find the time to get back to the homestead in Gainesville! Hope to complete bodywork and have it painted early 2015.
We are in the early stages of a project 1929 Ford just looks like a big mess right now
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Saw the same jellyfish bloom in a small cove on the west side of Pitt Is ... other side of Grenville Channel. I pulled anchor entirely by hand then on our Albin and was concerned about pulling the rode. I used the rubber coated gloves I always use and no problem at all. What a shock it was to see all those jellyfish.

Marin a Jaguar engine is big .. and heavy. An old Jag roadster w a 401 Buick and Dynaflow trans produces a lighter Jag than the original. Don't know how he stuffed it in a Healy.
Andy I think the 3.4, 3.8 and 4.2 are the same block ?? Perhaps the small Jag sedans had a smaller version of the bigger Jag engines.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Last shot is my idea of a classic car (I'm not a fan of American cars). I used to have one of these in college in Colorado; a Mark II that the previous owner had installed a Jaguar XK engine in.
The two tone black & red was my favourite, though I agree why bother with the XK engine, I assume you are talking about the 4.2 not the 3.8ltr engine, or was that prior to your emission regulations?
It was the 3.8 engine. He got it out of a wrecked E-Type. It was a very tight fit, and it messed up the balance of the 3000. In a straight line, however, it went like stink.

In terms of design aesthetics, the E-Type coupe, the 3.8 and first 4.2s before they started stretching the car, is my all-time favorite vehicle. I don't like the E-Type roadster at all. I don't like it's looks, and I've driven one and it's like driving a bowl of jello. It really needs the roof to stiffen it up properly. But the original coupe design is gorgeous. As soon as they started stretching it though, it went from gorgeous to really awkward and ugly.

For awhile in Hawaii I had an Aston Martin DB-4. It was a lot of fun, a very nice design although not nearly as pretty as the E-Type, and is another car I should have kept.

I recently sold my BMW 635Csi. It was a daily driver and with 260,000 miles it was simply getting too expensive to keep up. If I get another play car, it will be a Morgan Plus-8. I've always loved that style of car, the Morgan is one of my favorites. The Rover V-8 they used in it for many years really makes it fabulous to drive.

The only American car that I think is really an aesthetic winner is the Studebaker Golden Hawk. I probably like it because it looks European. But other than that, America has never produced a car I've thought was good looking. They are all way too big, way too fat, and with extremely unaesthetic body lines to my eye. Especially the ones from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. By the 90s they all started looking like Hondas.

What the US does know how to design, however, are trucks. Pickup trucks, semi-tractors, US designers know how to make them look very cool. My favorite pickup design--- they were gutless vehicles but look great--- are the so-called five-window pickups, the ones with the little corner windows in the cab. And I think the 2012-14 Ford pickups look very nice. I've seen the new F-150 and they're starting to screw it up now, since they have to do something different. Like the Toyota Tundra grill the thing now sports.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #36

Marin,

I have to tell you, I loved my '67 Jag E-Type 4.2 Series 1 ROADSTER. Fast, comfortable, and drop-dead gorgeous with its Opalescent Silver-Blue over red leather combination. Like most convertibles, it occasionally exhibited some cowl shake, however, it most certainly did not drive "like a bowl of jello"! And although it was not the most reliable piece in the fleet, with it's optional 2.65:1 rear end, it would cruise along at modern highway speeds like a champ. Damn nice car. Sold it about 15 years ago. Wish I still had it...
Old 12-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
Marin,

I have to tell you, I loved my '67 Jag E-Type 4.2 Series 1 ROADSTER. Fast, comfortable, and drop-dead gorgeous....
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me the E-type roadster looks like a stepped-on dog turd. I feel the same way about the MG-A. Interestingly, Jay Leno feels this way, too (he did a video about a stock E-Type coupe he aquired).

I thought the E-type roadster I drove in the UK was terribly loose. Lots of visible vibration and wiggling around. On dead smooth roads like a motorway it was fine. But as soon as I got it on secondary roads that had both less than ideal surfaces and a lot of curves, I thought it was very woogety. I didn't find it enjoyable to drive under those condtiions.

Maybe it was just that particular car. But that experience and the squished turd body aesthetics really turned me off the roadster.

A fellow a friend over there introduced us to had been a factory manager for Jaguar during the E-series period and he felt the same way about the roadster. There was a big demand for one which is why they made it, but according to him, very few people at Jaguar reaally cared for it. He felt the coupe was the superior vehicle.

Unfortunately, I've never had a chance to drive the coupe. We came very close back in the later 90s to buying one in the UK and shipping it home, but we dedided to do something else instead before I had a chance to actually drive the car.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #38

City: Mississippi
Sacrilege!! No one can talk badly about an E-Type!!!
Still waiting for that perfect convertible E-Type, but I do love my 2004 XJS 2+2 - Jag finally got the styling correct on this 4th try!
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
..... but I do love my 2004 XJS 2+2 - Jag finally got the styling correct on this 4th try!
You mean Ford finally got the styling correct. Jaguar ceased to exist as a British company in 1989 when it was acquired by Ford. The cars began using Ford platforms and engines after that and styling was approved in Dearborn, Michigan.

Finally, my good buddy Alan Mulally managed to unload the anchor that Jaguar was becoming and sold it along with another anchor, Land Rover, to Tata Motors in India in 2008. Tata has already discontinued the Defender, the current version of the original Land Rover, effective December 2015, and is replacing it with a bizzarre-looking, cheap beach buggy affair that has "designed in India" written all over it.

Lord knows what Tata is going to do with the rest of the stuff they've acquired. I guess one advantage lf all this is that my own Land Rover that I bought new in 1973 is now worth about ten times what I paid for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	35715  
Old 12-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #40
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You mean Ford finally got the styling correct. Jaguar ceased to exist as a British company in 1989 when it was acquired by Ford. The cars began using Ford platforms and engines after that and styling was approved in Dearborn, Michigan.

Finally, my good buddy Alan Mulally managed to unload the anchor that Jaguar was becoming and sold it along with another anchor, Land Rover, to Tata Motors in India in 2008. Tata has already discontinued the Defender, the current version of the original Land Rover, effective December 2015, and is replacing it with a bizzarre-looking, cheap beach buggy affair that has "designed in India" written all over it.

Lord knows what Tata is going to do with the rest of the stuff they've acquired. I guess one advantage lf all this is that my own Land Rover that I bought new in 1973 is now worth about ten times what I paid for it.
Alan M is a amazing man another MIT grad

The work he did on the digital flight deck is amazing

Alan

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote