Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Okeechobee Waterway-2 Part Question

1. What is transient time from West entrance at Shell Point around Cape Coral to Clewiston?

2. What is the condition? Any floating debris or other things we need to be aware of?

Any information is helpful. Thanks very much.

godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
1) that depends on the speed you choose to travel at.

2) call the lock masters/local marinas/towing companies along the way, check on cruisersnet.net, the Waterway Guide site, etc. for up to date information.

Capt.Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
1) that depends on the speed you choose to travel at.

2) call the lock masters/local marinas/towing companies along the way, check on cruisersnet.net, the Waterway Guide site, etc. for up to date information.
That pretty well sums it up.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I came through here about two years ago in a 62' Pershing with twin 1,550 hp engines and Arneson surface drives and it was a quick trip at 36 knots cruise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Felicia 62 Pershing aft quarter.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	57496  
Old 10-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Prior to Matthew, there was a lot of floating vegetation, especially on route 2. I have no idea now so would do as Capt Bill says.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
Guru

City: East Coast
While cruising, I often wonder how long it's going to take me to get from point "A" to point "B". What I do is measure the distance on my chart (electronic but it works on paper charts as well) and divide the distance by my cruising speed. It's quicker than asking on a web forum and more accurate.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
While cruising, I often wonder how long it's going to take me to get from point "A" to point "B". What I do is measure the distance on my chart (electronic but it works on paper charts as well) and divide the distance by my cruising speed. It's quicker than asking on a web forum and more accurate.
Well, in this case he'd have to add in the time at each lock and that would be the difficult part for someone not familiar to estimate and subject to being wrong even for those with experience, although on the Okeechobee it's generally predictable.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #8

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
I came through here about two years ago in a 62' Pershing with twin 1,550 hp engines and Arneson surface drives and it was a quick trip at 36 knots cruise.
I once delivered a 33' Scarab Super Sport from Bimini to St. Petersburg, FL via the Okeechobee Waterway. Engines were twin 275 hp Evinrudes on brackets. Not sure what speed I ran at, but the crossing definitely seemed to take less time than any of my sailboat trips.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #9

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful. We're traveling in a 28 ft Parker pilot house with twin 250 outboards. We're trying to make some distance, worried about idle zones.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #10

Thank you. We asked this forum to gain from your real life experiences. The uncertainty of the wait time in the locks is another concern.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #11

BandB, will do as Capt.Bill11 suggested. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather View Post
Thank you for your responses. Very helpful. We're traveling in a 28 ft Parker pilot house with twin 250 outboards. We're trying to make some distance, worried about idle zones.
Godfather: My earlier post may have seemed glib. In a fast boat like yours, the locks will probably be what slows you down the most, although no-wake / minimum wake zones are a consideration. In my experience, speed restricted zones are more prevalent at the east end of the waterway, downstream from the St. Lucie Lock. Reportedly you are only going as far as Clewiston ("The Sweetest Town in the USA"), so that area won't concern you on this trip. Floating debris is always a concern - keep a sharp lookout.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
If the locks are running on their regular schedules, you would have no problem doing from Cape Coral to Stuart in a day. I have done it several times.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Clewiston is so sweet because the US Sugar Company located there produce 700,000 tons of sugar per year.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #15

Blissboat thank you for your note. Will keep an eye out. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
If the locks are running on their regular schedules, you would have no problem doing from Cape Coral to Stuart in a day. I have done it several times.
But he's just going to Clewiston, he says.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #17
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Remember the locks shut down at 4:45pm. Maintain slow speed past all town docks.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Be careful of your wake when you get close to Clewiston, there are some ignorant rednecks in that area that do dumb things. (sorry to be so blunt, but that is what they are. I'm in no way speaking of everyone in the area, just a visible minority). They seem to think that the entire waterway should be an idle zone for anything bigger than a bass boat.

Last time I came through there was a bass boat staked out on a shoreline about 100 feet off of the channel with his power pole down off his transom. This was not in a no wake zone. I fish a lot and didn't want to mess him up, so I slowed down to 1,100 rpms, which is about 4 knots. I still rocked him a little bit, but not enough to cause him to do anything more than put one hand on the console to steady himself. He screamed curse words at me, then reached into his pocket, pulled out a handgun and fired two rounds over our heads.

I don't like being waked either, but man.....
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Be careful of your wake when you get close to Clewiston, there are some ignorant rednecks in that area that do dumb things. (sorry to be so blunt, but that is what they are. I'm in no way speaking of everyone in the area, just a visible minority). They seem to think that the entire waterway should be an idle zone for anything bigger than a bass boat.

Last time I came through there was a bass boat staked out on a shoreline about 100 feet off of the channel with his power pole down off his transom. This was not in a no wake zone. I fish a lot and didn't want to mess him up, so I slowed down to 1,100 rpms, which is about 4 knots. I still rocked him a little bit, but not enough to cause him to do anything more than put one hand on the console to steady himself. He screamed curse words at me, then reached into his pocket, pulled out a handgun and fired two rounds over our heads.

I don't like being waked either, but man.....
Yikes! No question, that's beyond the pale and inexcusable. Without making any excuses for that j@#&@$$, however, I don't doubt that plenty of transient boats have plowed through there over the years without slowing down. Some don't slow down at all. Others, equally infuriatingly, pull their throttles back part-way, in what they probably imagine is a gesture of civility, while in fact, increasing the size of wake they are generating. Those boaters are ignorant or thoughtless, but to everyone they pass, they are j@#&@$$es. They leave a bad taste behind, and give the rest of us a bad reputation.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #20
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Yikes! No question, that's beyond the pale and inexcusable. Without making any excuses for that j@#&@$$, however, I don't doubt that plenty of transient boats have plowed through there over the years without slowing down. Some don't slow down at all. Others, equally infuriatingly, pull their throttles back part-way, in what they probably imagine is a gesture of civility, while in fact, increasing the size of wake they are generating. Those boaters are ignorant or thoughtless, but to everyone they pass, they are j@#&@$$es. They leave a bad taste behind, and give the rest of us a bad reputation.
Completely agree. I hate being waked, either in the "big boat" or in my 18' flats skiff. And there is nothing worse than "Maximum Waking Speed" which is half on plane. I'm sure plenty of people throw huge wakes as they pass through there in their Scarabs (just kidding, Tucker) and the locals are sensitive to it.

I don't want to start the whole waking conversation again, I'm just letting you know to be extra careful. Some of the bass fisherman in that area fish basically in the channel, and expect you to accommodate them, even when you are not required to under the rules of the road. Something to be aware of.

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote