Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
It really doesn't matter that most of the waterway is not a no wake zone. Common sense should tell you that is so narrow in most places that you need to pass anchored or even just drifting boats at no wake speed.

1100rpm at 4 knots hardly qualifies as no wake speed.

Doesn't excuse the firing of warning shots. Which you should have reported.

Capt.Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #22

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Bass culture is a serious thing around Lake Okeechobee. I once stopped to overnight at Clewiston. After tying up at the Roland Martin Marina (just off the rim canal), I went up to the office to pay my dock rent. Never before having heard of the marina's namesake, I speculated that he was a local state senator or something, and asked the dock mistress who he was. She gaped at me in abject amazement, and finally drawled, "He's only 'bout the greatest bass fisherman that ever lived!"

Oops.

Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #23
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
............ Some of the bass fisherman in that area fish basically in the channel, and expect you to accommodate them, even when you are not required to under the rules of the road....
That's pretty much everywhere in my experience.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Be careful of your wake when you get close to Clewiston, there are some ignorant rednecks in that area that do dumb things. (sorry to be so blunt, but that is what they are. I'm in no way speaking of everyone in the area, just a visible minority). They seem to think that the entire waterway should be an idle zone for anything bigger than a bass boat.

Last time I came through there was a bass boat staked out on a shoreline about 100 feet off of the channel with his power pole down off his transom. This was not in a no wake zone. I fish a lot and didn't want to mess him up, so I slowed down to 1,100 rpms, which is about 4 knots. I still rocked him a little bit, but not enough to cause him to do anything more than put one hand on the console to steady himself. He screamed curse words at me, then reached into his pocket, pulled out a handgun and fired two rounds over our heads.

I don't like being waked either, but man.....

Should have got his bow numbers and call 911. What he did is a felony in any state.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Should have got his bow numbers and call 911. What he did is a felony in any state.
Yes, but you would have to prove it, spend a lot of time with the police or sheriff, possibly come back to appear in court and of course, worry about retribution.

And you are an outsider accusing a local "good old boy" of a crime.

Sometimes doing the "right thing" just isn't worth the trouble.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #26

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Doesn't hurt to report such incidents, you don't have to press charges, and the local law needs to be aware of whats going on in their area.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Yes, but you would have to prove it, spend a lot of time with the police or sheriff, possibly come back to appear in court and of course, worry about retribution.

And you are an outsider accusing a local "good old boy" of a crime.

Sometimes doing the "right thing" just isn't worth the trouble.
It's Florida, there's a good chance the person in the boat wasn't a local of any long standing.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
It's Florida, there's a good chance the person in the boat wasn't a local of any long standing.
Central Florida is not at all like the coast. There's a good chance he has lived their all his life and it's not impossible that the local Sherriff is his brother in-law.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Central Florida is not at all like the coast. There's a good chance he has lived their all his life and it's not impossible that the local Sherriff is his brother in-law.
If the sheriff was his brother in law, he would have a aimed lower.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Catalyst
Vessel Model: 50 ft Power Cat
I went thru East to West in July 2016. No problems, no low water, all the locks worked. Some advice:

1. Plan your crossing depending on your speed, but figure on no wake zones around bridges and Moore Haven. Think about your start time and where you will end up in the evening for your "sun-downer"

2. The locks don't operate to the posted quitting times, more like 3:30pm. Corps of Engineers deal.

3. If you can't average 15+kts you will need to do it in two days. Moore Haven has a town dock and a few places to eat. Also the locks have piles you can tie to, but Moore Haven is better.

4. The lock masters like to see line handlers wearing PFDs. Have them ready.

5. The locks have lines but they are short. Have a bow line and stern line ready.

6. When locking up, the water flows thru the gates into the chamber somewhat quickly. If you are in the back of the lock, further away from the up-water gate, you will be pushed around less. More fenders are better than not enough, there are no style points on displaying fenders.

7. Even in July, the bugs weren't bad at night, but we only sat outside for a few hours, then retreated inside with the AC running.

8. The most important info: If you are going West to East, but not going up the east coast or to the Little Bahama Bank, it's faster to go through the Keys (use Channel Five at Islamorada). It's at least 24hrs faster if you are going to Bimini.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #31

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Neworleansrich wrote: "If you are going West to East, but not going up the east coast or to the Little Bahama Bank, it's faster to go through the Keys (use Channel Five at Islamorada). It's at least 24hrs faster if you are going to Bimini."

In a slow boat, that's certainly true. In a faster boat that can transit the locks in a day, I'm unsure whether going south is worth what would probably add up to additional operating costs.

Either way, it's a journey. The canal is an experience all its own, different than traveling through Florida Bay and the Keys.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #32
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
In my relaxed 7.5 knot trawler speed, I go from Cape Coral to just past Ortona Lock the on the first day, Indiantown 2nd day, Stuart on the third morning, and that's going around the southern rim route.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote