Old 10-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #201
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC;
I'm amazed we use gas engines as much as we do. Good for chainsaws, lawnmowers, weedeaters, outboards and fun weekend cars. [B
Anything where efficiency matters should be diesel[/B]. IMHO...
Efficiency and diesel engines matter (especially to thems that must keep eye on their wallet… that is) in boats that are doing 400 to a 1000 or more hours per year... or, to long term cruisers who virtually never stop cruising… or, to larger boats that need the torque that diesels can provide – as compared to gas engines. But to weekend/summer-vacation boaters who average from 100 to 400 hours max per year the words “fuel-efficiency” do not really enter into the picture. The words speed and pleasure do!

Sooo... let's just use as example... boats cruised average 200 hours per year:

1. At 1 nmpg doing 17 knots = 17 gal per hr X 200 hr = 3,400 gal a yr X $4 per gal = $13,600 Distance traveled for pleasure cruising = 3400 mi = Costs a bit of $$$, but much pleasure boat travel accomplished for the year! Fairly often visiting places up to a couple hundred miles away not out of the picture at all.

2. At 2 nmpg doing 12 knots = 6 gal per hr X 200 hr = 1,200 gal a yr X $4 per gal = $4,800 Distance traveled for pleasure cruising = 2400 mi = Costs a fair amount of less $$$ than #1… but less pleasure boat travel accomplished for the year as compared to 17 knot cruiser mentioned above.

3. At 3 nmpg doing 7 knots = 2.33 gal per hr X 200 hr = 467 gal a yr X $4 per gal = $1,867 Distance traveled for pleasure cruising = 1400 mi = Costs way less $$$ than #1 and good deal less than #2… but pleasure boat travel accomplished for the year greatly reduced and capability to visit places more than 50 to 70 miles away really becomes long-slow cruise affair.

Hope all my #s and calcs are correct – but, you get the picture.

For #1 the most expensive pleasure boat rendition depicted here the fuel cost extrapolates to only $1133 per month to use a REALLY fun way for getting onto the water and visiting places a fair distance away while still having time to enjoy the location visited.

Pleasure Boating ain’t cheap! Then, of course, we can always get into discussing the huge expense of diesel motors compared to gas motors… But, Please NO.

Basically it all comes out in the wash… prop wash that is!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #202
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My boating expenses are 95+ percent fixed, operating 125 hours with a single engine consuming well less than $500 of fuel a year. Regardless, I like the exhaust sound and the added safety of a diesel. Besides, purchasing the boat with a gasoline-powered engine was not an option since I wanted a boat with good railings, wide decks, hull strength, and endurance.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #203
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
I was told by a broker that both the Aust. and Singapore built boats get osmosis, one gets occasional big blisters, the other tiny ones all over, I can`t recall which is which.
If there is a blistering issue with American Marine (Singapore)-built GBs I suspect it has more to do with when a particular hull was made than a general sort of situation.

Howard Abby left the company in mid-1974 after designing and building the molds for the GB36 and 42 and then personally supervising the manufacture of every GB36 and 42 hull starting with the first one in mid-1973, GB36-360. After his departure American Marine's hull quality started wandering all over the map, so to speak. A couple of times they had so many problems they brought Howard back to straighten things out.

According to an interview I read with Howard some time ago, the first time he got them back on track before he left to go home to the US. The second time he claims he threw up his hands in frustration and departed in pretty short order.

What effect their problems with hull manufacturing had relative to blistering I don't know. But apparently their hull quality wavered around some for a number of years.

This is comparatively speaking of course--- compared to many other manufacturers during the same time period I suspect GB's overall hull quality was pretty damn good despite whatever manufacturing problems they may have been experiencing.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:19 AM   #204
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Art, the key point in my statement was "where efficiency matters.." In some boats, as you noted, it is not the major cost and gas efficiency is ok.

In my case, over 8yrs since build I have logged about 2300hrs. I run a mix of 7.7kts at 1.9gph or 20kts at 11gph. Let's figure half and half. 1150hrs at slow, same at fast. That's 2185gal at slow, 12650gal at fast. Total of 14835gal. At avg of $3/gal, total of $44505. If a gas engine used 25% more, that would be $55611. Difference is $11126, assuming same price per gal, conservative considering dock prices. And 25% efficiency difference is conservative, too.

I bought the used diesel for $14000. A gasser in similar condition might be $4000. Diesel is the win in my case. Already in payback mode. Fuel savings already paid for the diesel premium.

In a year or two, engine will have paid for its whole purchase price in fuel savings alone, and that is at a modest 280hrs a year, avg.

Run a boat 50hrs a year or so, numbers are different as you noted, gas gets the win.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:41 AM   #205

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Liberty
Vessel Model: 57 foot Halvorsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I believe the 36 was the only GB Riviera built under license. Riv construction is quite good, though I was told by a broker that both the Aust. and Singapore built boats get osmosis, one gets occasional big blisters, the other tiny ones all over, I can`t recall which is which.
The original (not the current)principal of Riviera was Bill Barry Cotter, now of Maritimo. Before Riviera, he ran Mariner, and as well as its planing cruisers it sold trawlers under the Mariner name, 36, 39 and a 46,most likely built in in Asia, they look somewhat C&L. The 36 and 39s look nice boats, there was also a sundeck 39, Lehmans were fitted.
Bruce,

Riviera also did a 42 GB sedan , there was one kept at the RMYC Newport for quite a while, I think it sold last year and has moved on , it was in excellent condition the vessel was called Aquaris I think

here's a link to one that sold Grand Banks Flybridge Cruiser 42 Sedan Sold: Power Boats | Boats Online for Sale | Fibreglass | New South Wales (NSW) - Church Point Nsw

Cheers Chris D Liberty
Liberty2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:09 AM   #206
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2015 View Post
Bruce,

Riviera also did a 42 GB sedan , there was one kept at the RMYC Newport for quite a while, I think it sold last year and has moved on...
Apologies for my error, the Riv built GB42 unmistakably reflects the Riv cabin design of the 36, I`d never seen one.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #207
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Here`s one listed for sale:Used Grand Banks 36 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
Check the pic of the electrical switchboard.

Interesting. Looks nice.

-C
Old 10-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #208
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Just got an issue of Boating Magazine and there's an article on single v/s twin. It's 100% stupid as they compared a single w a 300hp OB to a twin w two 225hp outboards. They compared top speed, "useful cruising speed", hole shot, towing power, purchase price, maint costs, reliability and fuel economy. Can you guess the outcome? Of course. Even the Barista's at Starbucks could figure that one out.

IMO nothing will be learned unless both boats have the same total power. Often here on TF 240hp boats are compared to 120hp boats and the conversation reads like it's an apples to apples comparison.

If any good comparison comes to pass single and twin w the same power on the same boat I'd like to see it but I know of no such apples to apples comparison.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote