Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #41
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
RE: Okay Everyone Check Her Out

Quote:
Marin wrote:"I've noticed that most people who point out the downside of relying on a bow thruster don't have one.* So far as I can recall, I have never heard a boater who has one say they wish they didn't.* ....

It's sort of like a mobile phone.* You can live your life successfully without one but now that they've been invented it can make a lot of situations a whole lot easier to deal with, so why not take advantage of the technology"
Could not agree more.* Now I must get baaaack to work.*

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #42
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I have a Bow thruster on my Monk 36 single Cummins. I don't use it all the time, the Monk responds well to back and fill maneuvering, once a "spectator" asked me if I had a stern thruster. I am not embarrased to use the bow thruster, it is nice to have when the wind or current are "wrong".
Steve W.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I will say that it is all relative. I had a single engine boat without a thruster and I managed to get along just fine. In fact it taught me good boat handling skills and it was very rewarding to be able to put the boat where I wanted it. You add a bow thruster to the equation and NONE of that changes. It is just you become a little less limited in where you can put the boat. I had a professional captain on board And parked my 34ft LOA boat in about a 40 foot space without even thinking about it....spun it around and stabbed it. I didn't think anything about it. He flipped out and was very complimentary. I told him it was no big deal...I had a bow thruster....he knew I did but still said it was impressive....whatever. My point is, you can do more things with a bow thruster even though you just bump it on occasion. I find the experience no more or less rewarding....just different. And, yes, you can "downgrade" your level of "automation" should the thing quit working....simple as that...shift gears mentally.

And if you can find somebody to do it for $6k, do it. You have to figure the unit itself is about $3k.....and then you have all of the supporting hardware. And then you have to haul and block the boat and do some pretty serious hull modification. I think you would be VERY hard pressed to find somebody to do it for that amount. You are well into the $8k-$12k range for a bowthruster install....turn key.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:

Marin wrote:"I've noticed that most people who point out the downside of relying on a bow thruster don't have one.* So far as I can recall, I have never heard a boater who has one say they wish they didn't.* ....

It's sort of like a mobile phone.* You can live your life successfully without one but now that they've been invented it can make a lot of situations a whole lot easier to deal with, so why not take advantage of the technology"
Walt added.....
Could not agree more.*
Baker pointed out.....
And if you can find somebody to do it for $6k, do it. You have to figure the unit itself is about $3k.....and then you have all of the supporting hardware. And then you have to haul and block the boat and do some pretty serious hull modification. I think you would be VERY hard pressed to find somebody to do it for that amount. You are well into the $8k-$12k range for a bowthruster install....turn key.

So, that about sums it up really.* If you can afford those sort of dollars, when you probably would get more benefit from a lot of other nice stuff that would help more, (like an auto-pilot and maybe RADAR, in my case), then fine, do it, but if you can afford that, then probably it would have made more sense to buy a boat already equipped.* I freely admit if I could afford one with it, or, put another way.... I bought a boat that happened to have a thruster, I sure as heck would not take it out....... but...... 6 to 10 grand buys a lot of other improvements which would add a lot more to ones safety and/or pleasure* - probably - unless you freak out every time it comes to docking, thereby ruining your day.**If that was the case, then maybe it is worth the 6-10k....?

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #45

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. As I said earlier, going to stick with just getting good at it through practice. I can think of lots of stuff we want more than a bow thruster. This is probably a lousy comparison, but hubby had an incredible talent for backing up a long gooseneck stock trailer, could park it little dinky spots like no one I've ever seen, so I have huge amounts of faith that he will be a quick learner and be fine. Being ex-law enforcement he doesn't get adled or too freaked over much, so I'm confident he'll do just fine. I'll keep ya 'all posted if we take out our dock though......LOL
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #46
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I cruised my single screw Krogen for 2-3 years before I installed a bow thruster. I was competent at maneuvering it that way, but the thruster really can help. Never rely on it though, I always consider it lagniappe. (something extra).
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Baker wrote:

You are well into the $8k-$12k range for a bowthruster install....turn key.

3 years ago I talked to Huckins Yachts in Jacksonville, FL about installing a bow thruster on a 43 foot trawler that displaced 43,000 lbs with lots of wind-age.* The yard manager said it would be around $10,000 complete.* I'd say Baker's right on the money.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #48

Even getting parts and labor at wholesale as I am in the business, I still spent nearly $8k on a complete installation of a oversized thruster on a 42' Aluminum trawler......of course there is a difference between welding a tube or glassing it in....retail I think it would have been nearly $12k.....

Unfortunatley it just not as simple as putting it in, you also have to consider a new battery bank, charging of the new bank, connecting it to a panel, breakers, tearing the boat apart tomake all the runs, making sure the battery bank for the thrusters gets charged properly so it works when it should...on and on...fun fun fun....

Being an ex-coastie boat driver I am all for superior boat handling skills and learning to do it the "right way"..that being said, I am not embarressed to use it and make my day easier when it helps...
JMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #49
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

I had an 8kw (approximate) Lewmar thruster installed earlier this*year. Each vessel is different in its required work. Mine required significant labor due to holding tank relocation and sole removal for gaining access. Plus I went with a 24 V setup requiring an inverter. I just wish my cost was only $12K. *But, it sure helps in those 20 knot winds and 3 knot currents in the PNW.

For the average weekend warrior, there is not much need to add one. Just buff out those gelcoat dings.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
JMYSS wrote:

Even getting parts and labor at wholesale as I am in the business, I still spent nearly $8k on a complete installation of a oversized thruster on a 42' Aluminum trawler......of course there is a difference between welding a tube or glassing it in....retail I think it would have been nearly $12k.....

............And fiberglass I would imagine would have been even more. *Aluminum is more science...glass has a little more art to it....
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #51
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

My Wesmar 24V 18 hp thruster installation was right at $10k, but that was in 2003.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote