OK, whatdidyaget, Whatdidyaget!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
What boating stuff did you get today!

I got a new lanyard for my tender's Yamaha outboard.

A new updated set of flares.

A waterproof Citizen lighted watch (for waking up in the cabin at night).

A 5X3 foot grommeted ensign.

A extended magnetic wand for grabbing those loose screws in the bilge!

AND

A Garmin In Reach+ with accessories (thanks wifey!).

Woooo Hoooooo!

And all seven of us are off to see the new Star Wars movie in 3D tomorrow night! (my treat though!).

Last edited:
A set of Borel exhaust gas temp alarms.

Another can of Awlwood

A Mantis chain hook for the snubber I’m building.

A Marinebeam fixture for the engine room.

A killer guitar amp. (In the non-boating category)

A fantastic time with family.

Christmas

1. A new boat....

2. That about does it!

So looking forward to spending time with family in the boat.

Nothing directly related to boat but that will be used to do refit work on the boat.
All are old hand tools that I will maintain and preserve as nothing comparable does exist nowadays, like Millers Falls hand plane, Marples & Sons bow saw, Russel Jennings brace bits, rosewood level etc...
I just love the feeling of using tools that are older than myself to do work and especially for the boat, feel like owning a piece of history.

L

A bottle of wine, a 2020 calendar, a loaf of homemade rye bread, a book of hamburger recipes. Don't count me replacing my broken TV. Good enough. At my age, I don't need more stuff.

1. A new boat....

2. That about does it!

So looking forward to spending time with family in the boat.

WHAT "... new boat...."??

Photos Please!

Unusual Collapsible/Expander Cooler!

Magnetic wrist bands - For holding assorted screws, washers, nuts etc while reaching into hard to access locations!!

A few years ago we got so sick of the whole xmas scene that we placed a max two gift limit, and most of them end up being donations to someone's favorite cause. It took all the stress out of xmas, and turned it into really enjoyable family time. I highly recommend it.

But I did get some progress pictures on our boat....

Attachments

• PCH_2019-12-23_15-17_2158.jpg
    PCH_2019-12-23_15-17_2158.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 102
  • PCH_2019-12-23_15-17_2159.jpg
    PCH_2019-12-23_15-17_2159.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 102
  • PCH_2019-12-23_15-21_2167.jpg
    PCH_2019-12-23_15-21_2167.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 95
  • PCH_2019-12-23_15-27_2183.jpg
    PCH_2019-12-23_15-27_2183.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 98
New grill and capa10-217-3_coverImage.jpg1225190849.jpg

The Admiral is having the salon settee and vee berth cushions redone. To be ready when we return to the boat in early Feb. She says they are my Xmas gift.

Daughter's boyfriend got me a very nice brass compass in a nice wooden display box. It's going on the ledge under the window or in the bookcase. Haven't decided yet. If it goes in the bookcase, I'll probably want to install some LED lighting to show off the contents.

Wifey got me a drone! While not specifically boat-related, we plan to use it when cruising to take shots of our boat and other scenery, scope out anchorages when we approach, etc. Hmm... I could fly it over the slip, put it in hover mode, and use the live view camera feed as an overhead view when docking. Need to play with that idea.

Daughter's boyfriend got me a very nice brass compass in a nice wooden display box. It's going on the ledge under the window or in the bookcase. Haven't decided yet. If it goes in the bookcase, I'll probably want to install some LED lighting to show off the contents.

Wifey got me a drone! While not specifically boat-related, we plan to use it when cruising to take shots of our boat and other scenery, scope out anchorages when we approach, etc. Hmm... I could fly it over the slip, put it in hover mode, and use the live view camera feed as an overhead view when docking. Need to play with that idea.

Hmm - That's a damn interesting "drone" idea!

However... gotta ask... you been having trouble docking over the years without a drone?

Kinda sounds like a back-up camera for cars/trucks/RVs... but with an airborne-video slant for marine life. Being old school... when driving, I 99% use side mirrors and rear view mirror. Docking our twin screw Tolly is nearly always a slam dunk. Occasional stress due to heavy wind... which I imagine might throw a drone's video out of kilter. Anyway, I already have my mind, eyes, ears and hands full of things ta do while docking; afraid the extra effort to watch a screen for drone video would be just one effort too much.

Drone would not be much use to me... we berth under covered dock.

Good drone-use item may be if pulling into a large crowed marina to deploy drone for spotting a far off vacant slip!

Always good for watching mature women swim... in a harbor... while at anchor... woops; that might not be much appreciated!!

Last edited:
Our IG32 new to us in October -
New cushions throughout
Re-made curtains
Some new tools to stay aboard.
Yet to be done
Cutlass bearing
That was our list

We put a Purasan EX system on LUNASEA, no more trips to the pump out station.

Two more shrimp pots, line, floats etc. Some books, and nice heavy shirts.

Hmm - That's a damn interesting "drone" idea!

However... gotta ask... you been having trouble docking over the years without a drone?

Kinda sounds like a back-up camera for cars/trucks/RVs... but with an airborne-video slant for marine life. Being old school... when driving, I 99% use side mirrors and rear view mirror. Docking our twin screw Tolly is nearly always a slam dunk. Occasional stress due to heavy wind... which I imagine might throw a drone's video out of kilter. Anyway, I already have my mind, eyes, ears and hands full of things ta do while docking; afraid the extra effort to watch a screen for drone video would be just one effort too much.

Drone would not be much use to me... we berth under covered dock.

Good drone-use item may be if pulling into a large crowed marina to deploy drone for spotting a far off vacant slip!

Always good for watching mature women swim... in a harbor... while at anchor... woops; that might not be much appreciated!!

Nah, our Jefferson is very easy to dock, as it is. That was just a spur of the moment idea after thinking about my friend's overhead view on his SUV and how it makes parking so easy. Just a playful idea. We can think of plenty of uses for it, when weather and time permit.

A few years ago we got so sick of the whole xmas scene that we placed a max two gift limit, and most of them end up being donations to someone's favorite cause. It took all the stress out of xmas, and turned it into really enjoyable family time. I highly recommend it.

But I did get some progress pictures on our boat....

:thumb:
We changed from a gifting list of 50+ to a draw, to just a promise that when we get together we will enjoy a meal together. Our Grandkids are half a world away, so seeing them when we can is always a real treat. The other kids are a few thousand kms away, so getting together is also a real treat.
Today both of our sons and wives are using our home on Saltspring, our daughter and family are holidaying in Myanmar, we are in the SoCal desert (enjoying unseasonal rain), but had a neighbourly good time yesterday with good friends.

1. Lot's of fun and useful gifts at our Daughter's home. Refining my dress to extreme casual in first Xmas retirement.
2. New Garmin Echomap chartplotter to upgrade the old Sitex for cruising next year.
3. Received my first Social Security check on Xmas eve. Spread it around in stocking gifts. That was fun.:):):)

I got a box with cigars (about 100) and injectors, glow plugs for the generator!

I treated myself with a 15 year scotch to enjoy.

Attachments

• 20191224_162826.jpg
    20191224_162826.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 72
A new paddle for the dinghy from my Wife.
I will need to move a couple items to make room in the salon but that's where it is going.

Attachments

• IMG_9676.jpg
    IMG_9676.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 79
New house. Walk to water and 15 minutes to the boat. It is in front of my favorite salt water fly fishing cove. Wife got me a kayak carrier so I can just wheel it down and launch in minutes.

For a few years I’ve been telling everybody not to get me anything because I have everything I need and space on board is limited.

This year everybody believed me.

"This Old Boat" (second edition) by Don Casey. A gift from my wife that's actually for Badger :D

Just a guess, but is it a depiction of a bear transforming into a sea bear? Looks like a bear head without fangs transforming into a salmon like head, but still has claws on what looks like a fin...

Last edited:
I will need to move a couple items to make room in the salon but that's where it is going.
Be a shame to get it wet. Reminds me of wildlife artist Sue Coleman on Vancouver Isl. Years ago I bought an artists proof of her Arctic Wolf work, it hangs in the lounge room. Also her book where it appears, together with numerous artistic interpretations of traditional and wildlife symbols.

Back
Top Bottom