Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

City: Indiana
Ok guys, help me out here!

Since i have caught the Trawler bug, I have been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on. My future plans are to retire early and move to a live aboard, probably based in the southern Great Lakes in the summer and move to the south for the winter. Definitely plan on doing the loop at some point. I have spent endless hours on Yacthworld looking and trying to decide what boat fits all of my requirements. Most important is the fact I am 6'4" tall and would like something that I am not going to have to duck everywhere i go inside the boat. Below is a list of things I would "like" to have, I know there isn't any boat that will met all of my requirements but one that would meet most would work.

So this is really just an exercise to point me in the right direction,I am open to any and all suggestions.

* single screw diesel
* aft cabin center queen
* cockpit or sundeck for evening relaxing
* upper and lower helms (enclosed upper)
* side decks and beam door for easy access for
single handing
* decent sized Saloon
* 36-42 in length
* Price under $80,000 ( age is not a s much an issue as condition)

I am open to other options but this is a list of things I "want". Again, this is just to gather information for a future purchase. Thanks for playing along!

jdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
* single screw diesel
* aft cabin center queen
* cockpit or sundeck for evening relaxing
* upper and lower helms (enclosed upper)
* side decks and beam door for easy access for
single handing
* decent sized Saloon
* 36-42 in length
* Price under $80,000 ( age is not a s much an issue as condition)

Depending on how you might define "decent sized saloon", items 5 and 6 are mutually exclusive in that size range. Other than that a 42' motor yacht style GB, or something like it, would fit the bill if you could find one with a single screw.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. jd. Having spent "endless hours" on YW you must have some idea of what would fit your criteria. Assuming you do, I would suggest a road trip to actually board some of these models. Florida is a mecca for boats with a great variety for sale at all price levels. Disregard the price, within reason, for the time being, take off for a couple of weeks, enjoy yourself and go have a look-see. Could be some models show well on YW but wouldn't work for you. At the same time, other models...Well, you get the idea. The worst that could happen is you'll enjoy some warm weather, meet some new people and further refine your options.
First thing I would suggest is contact a knowledgeable broker to work on your behalf (buyer's broker). Be up front, mention your budget and say you're just looking at the moment. There ARE some good brokers out there and if you establish a working relationship with one, it's a bonus for you both if and when you find "the" boat. Your broker can line up a bunch of models for you to look at when you travel south.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The "Boat Search 101" threat at the top of the Main Discussion Forum is the best place to start. Most important is to get yourself on as many vessels as you can, big and small, inside and outside of your price range. Go to the floating boat shows.

There are some good older boats available that are within your price range. But...there are dogs as well. Take your time. Too often someone buys one of the first boats they see and then find out the problems. Leaking decks, leaking tanks and poorly maintained systems are common problems. Musty smells indicate leaking decks.

Most of us are not capable enough to deal with a "project boat" so don't get sucked into that vortex unless you are capable.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Riverdance, Hornet, Janet-R
Vessel Model: 45' Princess F/B, J88, Jarvis N 32
Well this boat misses a few of your requests... but
If I wanted a single screw trawler for $80K or less I would buy Drifter. 42' Bristol sedan trawler with a complete refit 12 years ago, maybe 9 +/-. She just came up on yachtworld listed for sale. A friend of mine bought it 12 years ago and had the boat professionally rebuilt top to bottom. That owner was a bay pilot who knows a thing or two about boats. He did the loop, cruised a bit then sold it to this owner. Very cool boat. Salty. Stabilized.
I have not seen the boat for many years.
dbltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Charter, charter. If you're trawler shopping, the San Juans are probably the best or at least easiest and not a billion dollars and easily accessible. You hear that advice a lot I'm sure, but it's true. We did a charter in the San Juans before we bought our big boat. We had a blast, fantastic trip, but it sealed our conclusion that we're power boaters, not sail. To each his own, but we concluded that even nice, big sailboats just aren't as comfortable as power at equivalent sizes.

Chartering will teach you more about your boat preferences faster than probably anything else. What you think you like and what you actually like might be two completely different things.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltime View Post
Well this boat misses a few of your requests... but
If I wanted a single screw trawler for $80K or less I would buy Drifter. 42' Bristol sedan trawler with a complete refit 12 years ago, maybe 9 +/-. She just came up on yachtworld listed for sale. A friend of mine bought it 12 years ago and had the boat professionally rebuilt top to bottom. That owner was a bay pilot who knows a thing or two about boats. He did the loop, cruised a bit then sold it to this owner. Very cool boat. Salty. Stabilized.
I have not seen the boat for many years.

Do you have a link? Looked and didn't find it
Old 12-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Charter, charter. If you're trawler shopping, the San Juans are probably the best or at least easiest and not a billion dollars and easily accessible. You hear that advice a lot I'm sure, but it's true. We did a charter in the San Juans before we bought our big boat. We had a blast, fantastic trip, but it sealed our conclusion that we're power boaters, not sail. To each his own, but we concluded that even nice, big sailboats just aren't as comfortable as power at equivalent sizes.

Chartering will teach you more about your boat preferences faster than probably anything else. What you think you like and what you actually like might be two completely different things.

Exactly! We did this twice. First, we decided this was what we wanted to do. Second, we came to better understand our needs and wants. And there are opportunities to do this out of Comox and see Desolation Sound.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #9

City: Dayton, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdude View Post
Do you have a link? Looked and didn't find it
1969 Bristol Trawler (stabilized) Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #10
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltime View Post
Well this boat misses a few of your requests... but If I wanted a single screw trawler for $80K or less I would buy Drifter...Very cool boat. Salty. Stabilized.
Misses a lot of the OP's list, and I agree it has some good elements.

But no lower helm (with limited visibility astern if there was one), no deck access, no significant side decks - I'm sorry, but this vessel would be impossible to single-hand. Even short-handed it would be a challenge.

Keith
Old 12-07-2015, 12:44 AM   #11
Guru

The name implying both engine and ground tackle failures is a worry.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Misses a lot of the OP's list, and I agree it has some good elements.

But no lower helm (with limited visibility astern if there was one), no deck access, no significant side decks - I'm sorry, but this vessel would be impossible to single-hand. Even short-handed it would be a challenge.

Keith
Why impossible to single hand? I see guys single hand from the fly bridge quite frequently. But, with a mate no big deal. Is it an FRP hull?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Why impossible to single hand? I see guys single hand from the fly bridge quite frequently. But, with a mate no big deal. Is it an FRP hull?
You see guys single-hand into a slip (never mind pick up a mooring!) from only a flying bridge? Perhaps with thrusters to hold against the dock.

I looked again at the pictures and spotted the mid ships half-doors to the side decks - missed those before. The question is, how quickly can you get a line secured there? Exiting the bridge enclosure, descending the full height ladder, scrambling up those narrow unprotected side decks - or entering the cabin and popping out one of those doors...that's got a lot of failure potential. And then you need to go all the way back up to simply nudge the engine? Are you Spiderman?

Keith
Old 12-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I used to single hand into slips all the time from the flybridge of the GBs I used to run in the charter fleet. You just set your lines up ahead of time. And/or ask for a little dock help if it's real windy.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Marine Trader 36 Sundeck. You simply are not going to find boats any bigger than that with an aft cabin with a single engine. And that MT36 is not a particularly large boat. My 35 footer has significantly more space....or the space is arranged better. But I was always looking for similar boats way back when and there was one yard that made a 42 foot Sundeck with a single engine. You will occasionally find a MT40 ACMY with a single engine. A KK42 would be perfect but it is outside of your budget!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #16

Thanks for all of the responses, keep them coming

This is really just an opportunity to see if there are other options out there that i may have overlooked. I am several years away from making a purchase but I want to take the time to dive into this and learn as much as possible so I am very prepared when the time comes.

When i search on Yachtworld, i typically just put " trawler, Aft cabin, Cockpit" etc, in the search field and look at what comes up. I really believe at this point, 36' is the minimum length i would be comfortable in, but being 6'4" tall I need to take that into account also.
Thanks again for the replies!
Old 12-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Try this one on.

A little out of the price range, but everything is negotiable. And a little stretch on your behalf for a newer boat with newer systems may pay back ten-fold.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997...s#.VmYIbL9Xn3V
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #18

City: Michigan
Vessel Name: loafs and fishes
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The name implying both engine and ground tackle failures is a worry.
They are my brothers
loafs and fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I used to single hand into slips all the time from the flybridge of the GBs I used to run in the charter fleet. You just set your lines up ahead of time. And/or ask for a little dock help if it's real windy.
Honestly, that's not the same at all. You had a lower helm if you needed it. You had walk around decks with rails. You probably had twins. You were probably on a "Classic" with two easy sets of steps rather than ladder. And planning to call for help if there's wind - that's not a plan in my book.

Keith
Old 12-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #20
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
One man's way isn't always anothers....

For the average weekender...yes the boat is less than ideal to single hand.

For an experienced captain who does it all the time...less so of an issue.

So it boils down to talent, experience and what you are willing to live with.

My background...no big deal...with my back hurting or a sprained ankle...a much bigger deal..especially when the help you may have expected isn't there or doesn't follow instructions.

There's the "perfect" boat and "perfect" situation...and there's the complete opposite....saying something is easy or is impossible may just be a matter of degree....and frame of reference.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote