Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
oil transfer system

Hi All-Among my list of things to tend to....previous owner installed a 12V oil changing system. *Cool I thought, til I looked at it a bit more! * *Seems his method of changing oil was to pull the drain plug, let the oil drain to the bilge below the engine block (which is it's own separate section of bilge with no pump in that small area), and then he has a tube with a metal section that he attached to his "oil pump" and basically vacuumed it up. *I am not about to keep doing it that way- messy, leads to odors, etc. etc. *So- either I go back to my old pump that I inserted a tube down the dipstick to get most the oil or hopefully a better Plan A. *That would be properly hooking up the existing 12V pump to the drain plug as a true oil change system. *Problem is, when I go to west marine I don't find a "drain plug for 27 year old perkins diesel oil exchange adapter" lying on the shelves anywhere. *How have you all been able to permanently hook up an oil changing pump to your oil pans?? *I'd also like to tie it directly into the generator if possible.

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #2

RE: oil transfer system

I've had Fumoto Oil Drain Valves on diesel trucks with good results.

The "N-SERIES" (w/ nipple) might work for your application.

http://www.fumotousa.com/size_chart.htm

No affiliation.

Mac

macattack_ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #3

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Friendship
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck

I'd start by calling American Diesel since they are a Perkins dealer. They may have the right plug. For the genset, most already have a connector with a short piece of hose attached. I know most Westerbeke do at least. If not, you can probably get one from a dealer for your brand of genset. Buying from these dealers might be a little pricey, but cheap in the long run considering the down side to an accident related to using the wrong thread type plug.
Brent Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Our Perkins has an oil change system and simply has a "street L" screwed directly into the pan.* There is a lot of material in the pan, should you need to re-tap for a different thread, or you could drill and tap a small pipe thread (say 1/4 inch) directly into the current drain plug.* Never the less, I don't use this system, as with the downward angle of the engine, too much oil remains in the back of the pan.* Instead, I remove one of the plugs from the side of the pan, and insert a small hose I can move around to vacume all the oil out..............Arctic Traveller.
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Thanks all- I will look into all these options!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote