Oil analysis lab recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MVCalypso

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36 Europa 1984
Hi,

For years I've done regular oil analysis for my engines, trans and gen.

For many years I used a firm local to me in the SF bay area - until they were bought out and customer service became an unknown concept. :ermm:

For about 2 years I've been using Blackstone Labs. I mostly like their services, the analysis reports and the pricing is reasonable. However, for about 6 months they've been taking longer and longer to turn results around... I fear that they are a victim of their own success.

For my last samples with them, it has taken 1 month+ (after they get the sample) for them to provide lab results. That's too long for my needs.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an oil analysis lab that reliably returns results (preferably in about a week) after they receive the sample?

Yes, I've noticed Blackstone is taking longer for their oil analysis. For me it's not an issue as it's just routine testing. There are times I'm changing and sampling the oil every 2 weeks, so not a big deal.

My recommendation would be to call them and see if you can get faster turnaround without an increased price. I would imagine there would have to be customers who need faster service without it being critical.

Ted

Try your local Caterpillar dealer, you don't need to own a Cat. Mine here turns around samples in about 4 days.

I've used JG Lube Services and vert happy.
Reports are available in a few days and it's easy to set up an account with multi engines, oil & coolant check with historical data compared to most recent analysis.
https://jglubricantservices.com/contact.html
Owner is available to answer questions. A+++

Hi,

For years I've done regular oil analysis for my engines, trans and gen.

For many years I used a firm local to me in the SF bay area - until they were bought out and customer service became an unknown concept. :ermm:

For about 2 years I've been using Blackstone Labs. I mostly like their services, the analysis reports and the pricing is reasonable. However, for about 6 months they've been taking longer and longer to turn results around... I fear that they are a victim of their own success.

For my last samples with them, it has taken 1 month+ (after they get the sample) for them to provide lab results. That's too long for my needs.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an oil analysis lab that reliably returns results (preferably in about a week) after they receive the sample?
I do believe that all of the labs use mostly the same equipment to analyze oil. In other words, one house is as good as another. What I do not like about Blackstone is that they charge extra for TBN analysis. TBN is a critical measure of a diesel oil's continued efficacy. If the TBN is of sufficient amount and the viscosity is within range, the oil can continue to be used, quite safely.

I do believe that all of the labs use mostly the same equipment to analyze oil. In other words, one house is as good as another. What I do not like about Blackstone is that they charge extra for TBN analysis. TBN is a critical measure of a diesel oil's continued efficacy. If the TBN is of sufficient amount and the viscosity is within range, the oil can continue to be used, quite safely.

While TBN analysis is valuable to a point for determining the time or mileage period of routine oil changes, regular oil analysis is more focused on wear metals, antifreeze and water contamination, oil viscosity, and fuel trace percentages, atleast for Dino based oils.

Ted

I use the WIX kits from Amazon. The price of the analysis is built into the price of the kit:

WIX Filters - 24078 Oil Analysis Kit, Pack of 1 https://a.co/d/0kYqoDU

I reliably get results within a week via email.

I always box the Tupperware and send it to them via UPS. I don't believe mailing it in thst cylinder has any hope of working, at least in a timely way.

I would have recommended Herguth Labs in Vallejo, but they were just sold to SGS and I know nothing of them. Maybe someone else is familiar with them.

While TBN analysis is valuable to a point for determining the time or mileage period of routine oil changes, regular oil analysis is more focused on wear metals, antifreeze and water contamination, oil viscosity, and fuel trace percentages, atleast for Dino based oils.

Ted
Ted, agree 100%, but if one extends oil change periods because the oil is still good to use, would not the wear analysis still be just as useful when next tested? Wear elements are not measured in absolute terms, they are measured against the numbers of hours the lube has been used, so, if the TBN is in range and the viscosity is within range, then why not continue to use good oil? Continue to test at regular intervals and you will still have a history, and an indicator of antifreeze, water, or fuel dilution. Dirty oil? That is what the "soot" measure is for. Just change the filter and carry on. In no way was I suggesting that regular testing should not be done, dino or synthetic.

Ted, agree 100%, but if one extends oil change periods because the oil is still good to use, would not the wear analysis still be just as useful when next tested? Wear elements are not measured in absolute terms, they are measured against the numbers of hours the lube has been used, so, if the TBN is in range and the viscosity is within range, then why not continue to use good oil? Continue to test at regular intervals and you will still have a history, and an indicator of antifreeze, water, or fuel dilution. Dirty oil? That is what the "soot" measure is for. Just change the filter and carry on. In no way was I suggesting that regular testing should not be done, dino or synthetic.

I have no first hand experience with synthetic oils. My experience with traditional motor oil is that over time, wear metal numbers significantly increase in a non linear fashion. In essence, wear metals in the oil increase the production of other wear metals. As a result, there is a balancing act between useful remaining life of oil versus increasing concentration of abrasive wear metals. As I tend to rack the hours up (6,000 Hr. In 8 years), I choose reduced wear over reduced cost of oil changes.

As a side note, I regret not having added a supplemental oil filter with a much finer filtration system when installing this engine. The savings in oil changes would have easily paid for the system.

Ted

I use Cat SOS oil testing and have for over 30 yrs. THey Email the report in about 3-4 days.

I used the Cat SOS test for work before that. However those tests were for a different purpose on our hydraulic driven machines with up to about a thousand gallons of hydraulic oils. Different tests also.

I would have recommended Herguth Labs in Vallejo, but they were just sold to SGS and I know nothing of them. Maybe someone else is familiar with them.

Hergurth is who I used to use. When they got bought by SGS I started having problems with them. Example: SGS required a new account set up and would not link the Herguth reports from before to the new account - so the sample history was hard to access (I had to log into the old account to see those). Several other problems with SGS re purchasing sample kits etc contributed to my decision to go to Blackstone. Since the history chain was already broken, it was a opportune time to restart elsewhere.

FYI, I used Blackstone, and have for decade or two. They do seem to take longer than they used too, but I don't really care since the reports are pretty consistent. I have had some very educational communications with Blackstone over the years, and I suspect if I really needed a sample tested quickly, I could ask and they would bump me up in line.

I like it that they keep a number of my old tests in the report so I can see what has been happening over quite a few samples without having to find my old reports.

Later,
Dan

I use Blackstone; just happens I sent off gear oil samples to them today.

All good, including history. Our last engine oil analysis was a tad slower than previous -- 20 days, late June, early July -- but that doesn't impact our service regime.

-Chris

We use CAT SOS for oil testing. Not using CAT engines.

I use Caterpillar SOS. Dealer just up the street and i don't have Cat engine. Results in 2 weeks.

Motor Check

Been using these guys for years . Quick to reply and easy to set up samples. They use a prepaid method of mailing sample kits.
Motor Check
2000 N Florida Mango Rd Suite 104
West Palm Beach , Florida

www.motorchecklab.com

Second "Capt Dean".
Normally get results fast.

I have used www.eoilreports.com/login and have had several issues with them, such as mixing samples from other customers and making changes to equipment or data. I would not recommend them; however, I do like the reports and timeliness. I have used Blackstone and will not after a 6 week wait. What if there was a significant problem with a result and I just added more damage to equipment because of a sample waiting on a shelf waiting to be analyzed.

Thanks to everyone for the leads to other oil analysis firms.

I think at the next sample interval, I'll pull 2-4 samples at the same time and send each to different labs. That will let me compare the reports and the customer service levels. I realize that will require a small investment cost for the multiple analysis.
The current situation with Blackstone is that it's taking 5+ weeks to get a report (from day of sample shipment to report available).

In some situations that's OK, but not for my current needs.

I had a trans cooler start to fail and a trans' ATF got contaminated. Many flushes later I'm close (I hope) to a normal analysis report. I'm down to running for about 20 hrs and then sampling to see if the atf change cycle can end. I can't handle that cycle time being 5-6 wks long just due to the lab lead time.

Other than the long turnaround times lately, there are many reasons I like Blackstone. Not the least is that a real person answers their phone and they are always nice, polite and helpful. They are just currently running a big back log.

I wonder if a conversation in advance with Blackstone (or whomever) could arrange an expedited analysis and reports?

I just checked our last previous sample/report time. I sent both on 11/06. Got stbd report on 11/23. Nil heard about port for a while, so I queried them on 11/27 and they confirmed sample receipt on 11/29. I got their port report on 12/1.

Part of the was my fault; I'd mis-typed my CC number on the form for port engine. Otherwise, I didn't think much about the elapsed time for the whole process. And that was a couple years ago, anyway...

-Chris

Last edited:
So I sent off an email to Blackstone a few days ago regarding the increasing length of time for reports. Received the following response:

Good morning Ted,

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Yes- we are aware
many of our customers are frustrated with our turn around time. We're
doing our best to expand our very small business, creating another
lab, hiring more workers, but training takes time. We do always offer
the option to over-night a sample to us. We typically get those done
in 2-4 business days. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
The Blackstone Team

Ted

We do always offer
the option to over-night a sample to us. We typically get those done
in 2-4 business days.

Interesting. I was told that I could pay for overnight delivery - but I declined because for the increase in shipping (from $0 compared to Blackstone's prepaid shipping labels) it would only save about 4 days. Since that was a small portion of the overall turn around time, it didn't seem cost effective to me.

What I didn't know is that a sample arriving by overnight would also go to the head of the line for analysis.

I'll ask them about this before sending the next sample. Having the option to trade $ for overall turn around time might make sense for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom