Oil Absorbent sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I need some oil clean up materials on standby.

Is there a difference between the West Marine oil absorbent sheets and what I can get at the auto supply sore? (except price of course)

If you are talking about the square ones, they are made by 3M. If you want 100 of them, get them off Amazon for half the price. You do have to tell a little white lie and say that you are a professional, but I figure that if I am doing my own engine work, that qualifies. When I get home, I ca PM you the link.

I,ve had and used the 3M sheets. Good sheets.

I now use what my local industrial supply stocks,not 3M, but good sheets also. Far as I can tell as good as 3M.

If you decide to not use 3M then go to a good truck/auto parts store or a small industrial house that sell hydraulic hose, ftgs, oil , etc. They will have decent sheets also as spills and mess are common and customers need good sheets.

Ask though as you will want oil absorbent sheets that reject water. There are sheets that will also absorb water.

I also carry, use and have used the socks. If the mess is good size a sock or two will pickup and hold far more oil than the sheets and do it quicker.

And yes, I have used them side by side when I had a big mess.

Last edited:
I got a box of 200 oil absorbant sheet for 50$ US on eBay. The exact same the previous owner bought at the marine store and left on the boat, very happy with them.

I have purchased packs of 100 pads on Amazon as well. As was mentioned, I think it is important to get the oil only absorbent pads. I am not picky as to manufacturer.

I think you should keep buying them from the marine store at 2.00/pop.

I buy my bale of them at a hydraulics shop. As previous posters mentioned, better sources. Get the kind that will not pick up water then you can lay them on top of buckets or puddles or even in the water next to your boat.

a bale of 100 costs about $30 online. There is a difference in quality. The white 3M are excellent. There are cheaper ones that resemble wool that leave bits all over.

If you have a lot of petroleum product to pickup, whether it is gas, diesel or oil, when the sheets are full, and you can tell by the colour change, you can wring the sheet into a bucket and use the pad for another load. Be careful wringing them out as they are pretty fragile.

Be aware when you are shopping for these pads that 3M makes them in two thicknesses. The thinner ones come in bales of 200 and the thicker ones in bales of 100. As I recall I was selling the thin ones for less than fifty cents each. If you bought a full bale, the price went down.

Thanks for all the replies and info. I guess my question is more directed at "marine" pads v. "automotive." I use PIG sheets for all my tractor work. They are at all auto parts stores.

John

Thanks for all the replies and info. I guess my question is more directed at "marine" pads v. "automotive." I use PIG sheets for all my tractor work. They are at all auto parts stores.

John

As long as the pads pick up oil and not water there is no difference.

I use the cheapest of all since you just throw them away anyway! Dog training pads! No specific brand, just cheapest. Works great!

I use the cheapest of all since you just throw them away anyway! Dog training pads! No specific brand, just cheapest. Works great!
Only problem with them is they are designed to absorb water. You really want the ones that only absorb oil.

I get white ones (brand?) from Grainger which work well.

They really work well I promise! :flowers:

Are you saying those pads let water pass through them while absorbing oil? That is what most of us want for oil absorbent pads. It allows us to place a pad on the surface of oil/fuel contaminated water and have the pad absorb the oil and leave the water behind.

I thought dog training pads were for soaking up urine?

I thought dog training pads were for soaking up urine?
Disposable diapers have similar properties, but are useful, cheap, and easy to have on hand while changing oil, filters, etc when there is a good chance of needing to mop up oil or fuel. Obviously no use in a bilge where absorbed water would prevent the desired oil absorption.

Are you saying those pads let water pass through them while absorbing oil? That is what most of us want for oil absorbent pads. It allows us to place a pad on the surface of oil/fuel contaminated water and have the pad absorb the oil and leave the water behind.

I think Donna was just making a purchase comparison of oil pads and dog ads. She wasn't recommending dog pads for marine use...or vice versa.

Have been using Pig Pads for a number of years. Good product, not expensive, good service, they specialize in all sorts of similar products.
https://www.newpig.com/universal-absorbent-mats-pads/c/5001?show=All

I like the 415 oil-only mat, they're perforated in the center so it's easy to use half a pad. A 50 pack lasts a couple years.

A friend of mine uses the Pig Pads (or mats, I don't remember). He is a boat mechanic. I had never heard of them until I herd him mention them.

If you want something to absorb oil and not water, dog pads will not work. If you want something to absorb any mess you might make on a surface, dog pads are fine. They have a plastic back so neither oil or water will pass through them.

The trick is to figure out what you need the pads to do and then buy the appropriate product.

Back
Top Bottom