Old 07-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Oh Dear, Silly Me

We came back from a 9 day trip on June 18.

Right after that I went on a two week business trip to Europe, then a concert this past weekend, so haven't been out on the boat since.

We had a crew on her today starting a full detail. After they left for the day I went down to take a look.

When looking over the side I noticed my stabilizer fin in the max position and visible. I went to the other side and saw the same. I thought that I may not have centered them before switching them off last time, though I could have sworn that they self-centered when they are turned off.

So I went inside to turn them on and center them.

Of course they were already on, and my 24V side batteries were completely dead. 12 golf cart batteries drained even though I am on shore power and the charger was on! I am thinking it took a while to drain them!

So everything is set correctly now and the batteries are coming back up. I hope I haven't damaged cells and have to start changing out some of the batteries.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
So everything is set correctly now and the batteries are coming back up. I hope I haven't damaged cells and have to start changing out some of the batteries.
Ouch! A sad tale. But since they are golf cart batteries, they may be able to take the complete discharge without a lot of damage. Those are tough batteries. We shall hope so anyway.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
Guru

Wonder if holding the fins in that position for three weeks did any damage to them or the hydraulics?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Wonder if holding the fins in that position for three weeks did any damage to them or the hydraulics?
It's doubtful any damage was done to the fins or hydraulics. But do you understand why the batteries drained even though the shore charger was on? That's the part I'd be worried about.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It's doubtful any damage was done to the fins or hydraulics. But do you understand why the batteries drained even though the shore charger was on? That's the part I'd be worried about.
I had basically forgot to switch off everything that I had on on the DC side. Most are things that would not draw if not on, like cabin lights. But there are a few things, like horn compressor, that were also on.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
I had basically forgot to switch off everything that I had on on the DC side. Most are things that would not draw if not on, like cabin lights. But there are a few things, like horn compressor, that were also on.
And that was a larger load than your shore charger could compensate for? Must be pretty big loads or relatively small charger? But as long as you are confident that it's no more than that, I can't see any real problem. Just charge the batteries back up and move on.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Guru

You were right. I do have another issue.

I went back down today and all batteries are dead. The shore power is fine to the panel and the breaker for the charger to the 12v and 24 v sides light up but the batteries are not getting a charge.

I have a Trace Xantrex Inverter/Charger, and I think the house battery side fuse has gone.

Sigh. Will try and get to it tomorrow before I leave for a two week trip to the NE and Korea, otherwise I will call someone in.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The high load of the hydraulics for an extended period might have caused the fuse to blow. If you replace the fuse and it charges the bank, you might find you've dodged a bullet. Reset and monitor closely just like any circuit breaker reset.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
No. And fins don't always stay centered at rest if the system is shut down unless they are pinned in place.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:15 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Golf cart batts will suffer less than some other types , so IF they come back you will have lost some percentage of the AH capacity due to sulphation.

Say 10% , which means you will have to be 10% more careful/frugal on discharging.

I would spend the bucks and install a de sulphation device , for when you are plugged in.

If it reduces the damage to only a 5% loss , you will be way ahead.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
No. And fins don't always stay centered at rest if the system is shut down unless they are pinned in place.
Unfortunately I noticed the fins because they were in the raised position so sticking out somewhat - not in the "down by gravity" position.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately I noticed the fins because they were in the raised position so sticking out somewhat - not in the "down by gravity" position.
Not sure what you mean by in the "raised" position. The fins pivot right or left around the shaft. Unless of course they are mounted above or at the turn on a displacement hull.

But either way I can't really see how you could have hurt the hydraulics.

Unless of course your cooling pump was not on. Then the system might have over heated. But it should shut down in that case.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #13
Guru

Bill, mine pivot up and down, and they were being held in the up position.

I don't believe I will have damaged any of the stabilizer systems, but sure have screwed up something on the DC side.

I have nothing from any of the batteries - the house or the starts. I don't know about the Gen batteries as the gen start is tied into the blowers and there is no house power to run those.

I will go down later with my meter and check the battery sets and either side of the fuses and see what I have.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000173.JPG  
Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Guru

City: West Coast
My stabilizers draw very little current. All of the power comes from an engine-driven hydraulic pump. If you setup is the same (and I can't imagine an electrically driven system, but who knows), you probably have another problem.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #15

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Quote:
Bill, mine pivot up and down, and they were being held in the up position.

I don't believe I will have damaged any of the stabilizer systems, but sure have screwed up something on the DC side.

I have nothing from any of the batteries - the house or the starts. I don't know about the Gen batteries as the gen start is tied into the blowers and there is no house power to run those.

I will go down later with my meter and check the battery sets and either side of the fuses and see what I have.
YES, use the meter prior to anything else in regard to the battery banks.
Obtain and RECORD the actual voltages present in the discharge state. Know where you are starting with batteries. Yes question why the fuses have acted. Hopefully as the battery voltages dropped during the drain the current went high as would be expected and cleared the fuses. That would be good scenario. Your batteries may have been spared the high current crash to 0 Volts. Golf carts are tough. I have interest in what your voltage readings are in this situation. Good luck and as most would agree. find the primary cause of terminal function.(blown fuse).
Good luck in salvaging the batts!
Dave
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Menzies, I have nothing to offer but sympathy. I hope you are able the find the problem quickly and that it is something very simple.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #17

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Menzies, does your charger setup have an "equalization" mode for the charging. This action is a higher current charging usually done over longer duration that drives the sulfur back into the solution. Only recommended as Quarterly for heavily used battery banks. or for most of us an annual PM for the bank.
Only performed after successful float charge back to normal state of charge for the bank. Research the process before attempting. Details are vital.
Dave
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #18
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Start here

Since you are using your inverter charger as your main battery charger , start by making sure you are getting ac voltage to your inverter. Some Xantrex inverters use the ac feed to your recepticals two ways, to supply inverted power and to power the charger when not inverting. Check that breaker. If you had suffered a prolonged power outage and your inverter was inverting providing power it is possible to drain your batteries when combined with other DC loads. As the voltage from your batteries drops the amperage load to maintain power from the inverter goes up, this can blow the inline fuse or fry your battery switch from the battery bank to the inverter. Your stabilizers had nothing to do with your problem. Check power in and out of your inverter both DC and ac. Xantrex inverter chargers will shut down if the cooling fan fails. If you have the remote display for your inverter it is possible to see charge and invert status as well as turn off the charge or invert status. Another check point. There is a reset button on some models of Xantrex inverters. It sounds like you weren't charging your battery bank and DC loads pulled everything down.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by the raised position? Fins pivot right or left around on the shaft.

Unless they are mounted at or above the turn on a displacement hull. Then I guess you could say the rotate up and down.

But either way the only way I could see you could have hurt the hydraulic system is if your cooling pump was off at the time and the fluid over heated. But then your system should have alarmed and shut down.