Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
NDM

City: Coltons Pt, Md (Potomac River)
Vessel Model: Albin 33'
How to find a buyer's broker

Does the list have some wisdom on how to choose a buyer's broker? Does it have to be close to where I live? I am in the Annapolis, Maryland area if that matters, and I am interested in a MY around 42' in the 10 to 15 years old range.
Until now, I would scan Yachtworld and find a listing that I like and call the listing broker to visit. I would love to leave that initial screening work to the professionals so I need to only consider the real candidates.
Any suggestions?
On a related subject, I am going to the Miami Boat Show next week. Does anyone know good brokers for the type of boat I mentioned above.
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Tucker Fallon. TF member Trawler Forum - View Profile: yachtbrokerguy
Old 02-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Call me. It's what I do.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Guru

We had a decent experience with a "buyer's broker" who showed us several vessels, of which we actually eventually bought one. We also looked at quite a number of boats on our own. I think reality is a "buyer's broker" can help with lining up a bunch of appointments, knowing where the vessels are located (how many back yard dock are there in the Ft. Lauderdale district??), and with transportation. BUT, ultimately there is really no such animal as a "BB" because the commission is split with the listing broker and the motivation to sell a boat is just the same. The difference is the BB will show you vessels they do not have listed and help with comps., but likely most listing brokers will do the same if asked. By the way, we did not use Tucker because we had not met him at the time, but IMO he is a good guy and very knowledgeable.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Guru

Yes, and Mark is good guy as well. He helped sell my boat!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #6

City: San francisco
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
Talk to several brokers who are experienced with the type of vessel you are interested in. Then pick the one you like and trust the most. Anything more than that is pure lottery.
Good Luck!
Oldersalt
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
You will know you found the right buyers broker when he is more interested in knowing how you plan to use a boat and what your expectations are than showing you boats.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 PM   #8

City: long beach
Hi, we are in process of purchasing a GB 42' Classic through our broker, Haywood May, through Zimmermanmarine.com. Steve Zimmerman owns several boat yards from Maryland- south. I've attended many courses with Steve and he is one of the most knowledgable guys I've every met when it comes to boat. Haywood works with him directly. you may want to check out Zimmermanmarine.com for the services they provide, and buyer broker is one of them. Feel free to call Steve @ 804-725-3440. i can't say enough good about how knowledgeable, friendly, and responsive Haywood is with his clients.
Good luck!
dmooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Here is an interesting take on the process: Thinking About Buying a Used Boat? | Zimmerman Marine
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #10

City: long beach
Danderer, that's the program we are in now. haywood may is our rep in the process.
Thanks
Dmooch
dmooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmooch View Post
Danderer, that's the program we are in now.
Missed seeing your post. Sorry.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #12

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
My broker experience from 4 years ago; I talked to several, but once a broker found out that I was planning to spend <$200K, interest waned to zero. One tried to sell me his listings whether they met my needs, two tried to refer me to someone "more suitable", one ignored calls or email after the initial contact. Obviously, not a good experience.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM View Post
Does the list have some wisdom on how to choose a buyer's broker? Does it have to be close to where I live? I am in the Annapolis, Maryland area if that matters, and I am interested in a MY around 42' in the 10 to 15 years old range.
Until now, I would scan Yachtworld and find a listing that I like and call the listing broker to visit. I would love to leave that initial screening work to the professionals so I need to only consider the real candidates.
Any suggestions?
On a related subject, I am going to the Miami Boat Show next week. Does anyone know good brokers for the type of boat I mentioned above.
When you’re at the boat show, look for Curtis Stokes, in the industry he has a very good reputation. I know 3 brokers in his firm and they are all knowledgeable. He also has a MD office so the firm maybe a possible choice for a buyers broker also.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Ask on the owners forums of the brand or type of boat you are looking for, many owners are happy to make recommendations based upon their experience. For example, Eric Horst is very knowledgeable on Hatteras as well as others and has offices in Fla and the Chesapeake Bay Area. He has been helpful with our boat search.....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote