Offshore 38

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. Never saw or heard of one that old. Of course, there are the new Off Shore boats, but I doubt that it's the same manufacturer. They sure did cram a lot into that space, and the layout is reminiscent Euro 400, a popular European Canal Rental Trawler made in Poland.

Kudos to the broker for taking the time to have the boat cleaned before taking all the pictures and posting on Yachtworld.

"There's a clue in thedrawings -- Offshore Yachts, Norwalk Conn."

http://boat-manufacturers.findthebest.com/detail/9360/Offshore-Yachts-Intl-Ltd

If that's the company they have been out of business since 1996.* Probably just the importers -- see the following:

There are a couple of similar listings in Yachtworld on the west coast:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Offshore-Trawler-2294093/Birch-Bay/WA/United-States

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/OffshoreSundeck-Double...--1822690/Scappoose/OR/United-States

*There is a photo in one of these listings that shows a label on the electrical panel saying "Tung Hwa Marine"* so I guess they're Taiwan trawlers.

Based on asking prices of the west coast* boats, there might be a pony in that pile of poop.** I know nothing about Lehman turbos, but both the other listings have them also

Definitely a project boat --* Gonzo, this looks like Fairfield Harbor. Did you come across* this boat during your time there?* I wonder if the boat survived Irene. Most of those private piers down there don't look too sturdy.

-- Edited by ARoss on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 04:14:54 PM

Anode wrote:
Kudos to the broker for taking the time to have the boat cleaned before taking all the pictures and posting on Yachtworld.
OK I need to rant here. A broker's job is not to clean a clients boat. When I go on a clients boat to take pictures I do take the extra effort that the client sometimes will not put in and move things out of the way of the shot. I then put everything back as I found it. If you want to sell your boat show that there has been a pride of ownership factor. A broker can not and should not fake this for you. As a buyer don't you want to know what your buying?

Daddyo wrote:OK I need to rant here. A broker's job is not to clean a clients boat.
Unless the broker is just a nautical used car salesman hoping to snag a drive-by he or she should do or have done everything possible to present the boat in the best light possible.

Renting a helicopter to take underway pictures, hiring a professional photographer to take high quality pictures and haivng the interior arranged to present the essence of the boat is an important part of a broker's role.

Watching a real broker at work is seeing a work of art. Granted, the money isn't there in a 1980s 34 foot trawler but take a look at the efforts that go into re-selling larger yachts. A broker should at least show the same respect to seller and buyer regardless of the price.

Thank you Rick.
I'm not a broker....just a potential buyer. My tongue in cheek remark was just in response to the negative message the broker sent to me about himself and the boat.

I don't have a clue where you guys are coming from. Let's keep in mind the context here. A 30-40K boat has a commission of 3-4K of which anywhere from $1,050 to $2,000 will find it's way into the broker's hands. Now subtract from that all the broker's expenses which he pays for out of pocket ie: phone, internet, gas, travel, extra advertising, health insurance, etc. Many times on a boat of this price a broker is being paid nothing for his time and is actually paying out of pocket to sell the guy's boat. Now you say it's the broker's responsibility to clean the guy's boat? A good broker recommends to clients what needs to be done to best show his boat and when possible helps facilitate the recommendations. A good broker takes good pictures of the boat and yes moves clutter out of the way if necessary and does some minor wiping etc, for the shots. A good broker writes a compelling and accurate listing. A good broker is available nearly all hours to respond to prospects. A good broker is honest and excited about the boats and the lifestyle that comes with owning/cruising a boat. I put the same effort into a clients 25K boat as the 200K. It takes a partnership to sell a boat, the seller and the broker. Like Forrest Gump said "That's all I got to say about that".

That is where the "should do or have done" part of the post has you covered. If you don't want to at least hose off the loose dirt, tell the owner he has to pay someone to do that so the boat might sell*for more than salvage.

Those pictures look like they were taken by a broker who could care less if the boat sells and has no interest in any part of that deal other than the commission if he gets a drive-by sale.

If the owner has effectively abandoned the boat to the bottom feeders why take a boat that makes*the brokerage look like a shade tree operation?

I'm not a broker, just a buyer and sometimes a seller. *I'm a little surprised the broker would use those pictures to advertise the boat, he must have been in a hurray. *That much we can agree on.

However, in my experience, if the brokerage doesn't own the boat. *The seller pays for all cleaning, maintenance and moorage. It's usually spelled out in the listing you sign. I have seen brokerages cancel listings on boats which were poorly maintained and they considered not saleable.

I just skimmed this post. The Offshore 38 is the same thing as a CHB 38 or a Present 38. I have even seen a Palmer Johnson 38....same boat. *You don't see them too often but I think it is one of the best Sundecks out there under 40ft. *I keep a close eye on the market and especially this type of boat. *This one obviously came on the market and sold quickly....as it should since it appears to be a very nice example!!!

This is what it should look like:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2367161&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=76548&url=

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 16th of September 2011 06:52:01 AM

Thanks for all the info. If I didn't have a boat I would be interested in this project for sure. Lots of space.

Back
Top Bottom