Old 01-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #1

City: Perth
From offer to purchase-what's your longest negotation??

Well members,

TELL ME YOUR LONGEST NEGOTIATION PERIOD FOR A PARTICULAR BOAT.

I am now into my 10 day in Queensland negotiating the purchase of 'Nimiane'.
I feel almost at the end of my patience with this seller.
However if she had not fitted my requirements almost perfectly I would of run away.
Your recollections will help me.
Regards
Brett
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
What's taking so long, the price, or what needs to be fixed up as part of the price..?

Anyway, if it all falls through, I have a nice Clipper 34 for sale here in Queensland…but you don't mention what this boat Nimiane is, so I don't know if it is that kind of boat you are after.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Less than 10 minutes was the grand total time spent negotiating the purchase of my boat. Face to face with the owner, no brokers involved. We spent over a year looking for our boat and recognized it as a fair deal going in.

Not sure I would spend more than a couple days negotiating even with a broker involved to be honest. But that's just me. Good luck with your purchase.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #4

Every thing from the method of payment - (he wants cash) , to the repairs that I requested after initial trial run to every little conceivable extra cost like rego transfer/road worthy certificate/the cost of the hatch fitting needed replacing etc etc etc.........OMG...........I need another Stella. Fortunetley staying at a nice packpacker joint on the beach at Hervey bay. The scenery walking around here is not too bad either.
regards
Old 01-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #5

Peter B
Nimiane is a trailerable 8 mt double ended finnish design seaboat. She weighs a total of 1500kg. (with a 500kg lead ballast keel)
She has a yanmar 22hp and is loaded with electronic fruit ( auto pilot, lowarance 7 elite ,radios, extra sounders etc etc) Perfect for me to explore the furtherest reaches of tropical aussie economically.
All inside a comfortable all weather pilothouse with lots of windows. 2 year old trailer enc. New gel coat, stern tube, rudder post and rudder,prop, engine rebuild etc etc.
This is why i'm suffering this ................
Attached Thumbnails
bp5185002226031376665.jpg   bp5361656658406412531.jpg   bp5486071450347345646.jpg   bp5705981806083521654.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Boy, I sure had to look at those photos closely to finally determine that they were all of the same boat! The last image looks, at first glance, like a completely different vessel until you realize that the stern is on the left.

Looks like it would be a fun ride.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 AM   #7

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
I started the ball rolling for my Nordic Tug purchase in August of 2014 and the deal closed on about October 15 2014.
Took forever!
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:07 AM   #8

OMG.....tunajoe..........what an ordeal.... Still your boat is quite majestic looking and no doubt worth the wait.
brett
Old 01-19-2015, 03:37 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Nice looking boat Brett. It should be a fabulous tourer.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Interesting boat the Finn 8. It would have been nice exploring the Sandy Straits.I remember seeing one on the back of a truck a few years ago it was heading for Tin Can Bay,it may have been it.
flashwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I found a bit of info on the Finn 8
http://www.johncrawfordmarine.com.au...cm-article.pdf
flashwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:31 AM   #12

Insequent - really looking forward to getting her up to FNQ around May this year and doing some cruising. Also like the thought of being able to trail her behind the Landcruiser and use as a caravan when going back to West Oz before the 2015-16 cyclone season.
Of course I would enjoy meeting some aussie TF members on Brisbane waters for a coldie sometime too.
Here's a pic of a similar boat.....she sits sooooo nicely

brett
Attached Thumbnails
ca13d20c86d1111eddba06bd5a4fc651.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Mine took about a month. Knew I wanted it on day one. Had to wait for another buyer to back out on his contract. Resurveyed the boat and then had to negotiate a further price reduction based on neglected engine and generator maintenance. Nice thing about your memory, the severity of these kind of events faid quickly once the deal is done and you are enjoying your boat.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Mine took a long time, but there's a tale behind it. (Isn't there always!)

When I first started talking to the selling broker I told him I had a trade and wouldn't make the deal without the trade. This was in early February, 2010 when NOBODY was buying boats and they weren't interested in taking the trade. I said OK and hung up.

Two weeks later the broker called me and asked what the trade was and I told him. It was a 330 Sea Ray Sundancer. He said there were a lot of them for sale around them and they didn't want to have one on hand.

I'd done my homework and knew they had owned the boat for 1.5 years and knew the boat was not floored by a bank--they had their own money tied up in the boat. I reminded them if they took my boat in on trade they would have a lot less of THEIR money tied up. He said they still were not interested. I said OK and hung up.

He called back about 3 weeks later and asked what condition my boat was in and I told him it was a solid 8 on a 10 scale. He said they still weren't interested so I said OK and hung up.

About 2 weeks after that he said they would take my Sundancer on trade and we got down to discussing dollars. By the time we started getting close to my price I flew back to Detroit to sea trial the boat and have it surveyed.

We renegotiated a bit based on a few things the survey disclosed and that took about another week. We agreed on price in late April, 2010 and my wife and I flew back for another sea trial and to make sure the survey items that needed to be corrected were actually done.

We signed all the docs then made arrangements to have the boat shipped from Detroit to Portland, OR. So, from start to finish the whole negotiating process took about 2.5 months.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Interesting fresh air poop deck. Is that really where the porta potty lives?
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #16
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Wow

Great looking boat

My negotiation to close was about 15 minutes

Sea trial 2 hours

he fixed more then I noticed I delivered payment the following week after he made the repairs and delivered the case of bubbly
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #17

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
OMG.....tunajoe..........what an ordeal.... Still your boat is quite majestic looking and no doubt worth the wait.
brett
It was worth it.
A lot of the delay was first time buyers nervousness among other things.
Thanks Brett
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #18
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Purchasing Stella, our Defever 44, was the longest for us and the most intense . . . made all the more so by trying to get her under contract while we were on vacation in Italy. A forum member (Sailor of Fortune) was kind enough to visit the boat for us in Florida and gave us a strong enough assessment of her condition that we felt comfortable making an offer. I remember standing on an overlook in the ancient town of Orvieto talking to SOF and marveling that I was beginning the process of buying a boat I hadn't seen in person that was in Florida. (I live in PA.) We commenced the negotiating process with the seller's broker (we didn't use a broker on our end) and my wife has pictures of me sitting in a corner of the Vatican researching costs with other brokers and surveyors. I hit the send button on our acceptance to the "final" negotiated price literally as the wheels on our return flight were leaving the ground in Rome. Didn't know that our offer had been accepted until we were stateside. That was in February and, for various reasons, we ended up closing near the end of April. In all, we came out of the process with few regrets and a lot of respect for what brokers go through.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
What a cute, marvelous boat.
Congratulations.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Every situation is different. We made our offer about March 20, 2013, surveyed and sea trial April 1. We couldn't come to terms on some concerns so we backed away, very disappointed. The seller now had two failed offers on his boat. The seller contacted us again about May 21. Brought my shipwright down to look at her. He confirmed the vessel's conditions. We made another offer, no subjects which was accepted and we took possession June 1.

For your situation: is it a buyer's or seller's market there? You could do what we did and back away, with the offer to contact you should he reconsider. Remember, there will always be another opportunity. Make sure it is the right choice for you, even if it means walking away.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote