Old 01-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
My negotiation to close was about 15 minutes
Same here....Boat never actually came on the Market (officially), and the PO had just brought his (new to him) 44' Cat down from Md. Right time, right place. Made an offer 10% under market/Ask, and Boom, done. November is probably a good time to deal. Great boat, painless transaction. Everyone was happy in the end..

Old 01-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #22

City: perth
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
JDCAVE,
I would think that it's a buys market here as Oz is firmly (economically) in the control of China/India as we are a primary resource exporting country and the Oz dollar and stock market is plummeting.
Possibly I am to blame for some of the protracted bargaining over this boat as the final sales figure (today) now is 26% below his opening price. However wouldn't you agree that owners (sellers) have an opinion far inflated of the real market value anyhow ?
Had a good feeling this morning about the sale concluding soon. So I bought a lotto ticket this morning in the $20 million draw........might buy a helicopter instead if I hit the jackpot .
Brett
P.S. whoever asked funny spot for the portapotty...........No the 'pooping' gets done in the forward cabin not poop deck ....thank heavens. lol as pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bp4896969671920828617.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	36643  

bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #23
Guru

The seller sounds as particular about detail as his boat. I get the impression the buyer might be fairly particular too, being attracted to the same boat. A slow deal can be a good deal, rushing in negotiation sends messages that may not help.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
we just settled on our next boat and have moved her home and begun the work on things to her back in shape. Our negotiations went for three months. It was challenging and dealing with owner, broker and mechanics is not something I want to do again soon. We only persevered because the boat is perfect for us in every way. She is a zero compromise boat and they do not come along often.

In the end a negotiation goes for as long as it takes for both parties to achieve their outcomes. When they both want those outcomes without compromise, then the process takes longer.

good luck.
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Just remember you are buying a USED boat .

No boat is perfect although many used boats will take far less time to make safe and seaworthy than a new build.

Arguing over a $3.00 hinge pin may not be worth the effort to the buyer or seller.

All USED boats are sold AS IS , never expect perfection .

Just decide if the VALUE is there for YOU!
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #26
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Not sure it qualifies as a negotiation, but: It took me 6 months. I first saw the boat for sale in September and contacted the seller, visited the boat, got a test drive, and did a pretty thorough self survey. Based on the this effort and "comps", arrived at a figure of 62.5% of the asking price. Seller told me to pack sand.

I continued looking, made a couple of trips to Florida to check out specific boats, still looking for the right one. In mid-March the following year, the phone rings. The Septmber seller offers to do the deal for my offered price. Got real surveys done and completed the deal 8 days after the call.

FF is providing sage advice with "All USED boats are sold AS IS."
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #27
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
Well members,

TELL ME YOUR LONGEST NEGOTIATION PERIOD FOR A PARTICULAR BOAT.

I am now into my 10 day in Queensland negotiating the purchase of 'Nimiane'.
I feel almost at the end of my patience with this seller.
However if she had not fitted my requirements almost perfectly I would of run away.
Your recollections will help me.
Regards
Brett
I've spent more time negotiating on a car than my boat. We met face to face. It took all of 5 minutes. After the survey we met again and that took another 5 minutes. It helps when he wants to sell and you found your ideal boat. I can see where it can get difficult. I guess I was lucky but face to face is the way to go. People will say and do a lot of things when they don't have to look you in the eye. Good luck!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #28

After 14 days the latest offer has been accepted.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:34 AM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
, he can
Quote:
Every thing from the method of payment - (he wants cash) , to the repairs that I requested after initial trial run to every little conceivable extra cost like rego transfer/road worthy certificate/the cost of the hatch fitting needed replacing etc etc etc.........OMG...........I need another Stella. Fortunetley staying at a nice packpacker joint on the beach at Hervey bay. The scenery walking around here is not too bad either.
regards
Yo, Bo - I noticed you have two - LOL's :lol ; after the seller apparently wanting cash. Me thinks maybe therein lays the problem. You two having way-to-pay issues??

Every boat I purchase is cash - only! I don't buy loan-interest on "toys". When I get to point of settling on the deal it usually takes minutes. Maybe a few days of survey thereafter and even a few more minutes for price adjustment if necessary. If me and seller don't meet on a deal real quickly I've too much to do and there are too many other boats available. The seller can either soon shake on the deal - or, he can - Color Me Gone!

Best luck on closing your deal!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
, he can

Yo, Bo - I noticed you have two - LOL's :lol ; after the seller apparently wanting cash. Me thinks maybe therein lays the problem. You two having way-to-pay issues??

Every boat I purchase is cash - only! I don't buy loan-interest on "toys".
The seller probably wants actual cash,ie $100 notes. Here cash transactions >10K at your bank get reported to authorities.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #31
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The seller probably wants actual cash,ie $100 notes. Here cash transactions >10K at your bank get reported to authorities.
Here it's > $4,999.99. But no problem in the <$5K range. Pull it out at separate times in various levels. JMS...

Of course they could always go to bank together with written check.

However, if per chance, a buyer wants credit from seller... that's a whole different ball game!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #32

He was told he was getting a Bank Cheque, full stop, end of story.
I also said I was leaving the next day to return to Perth.

That brought about a quick finish to our endless negotiations.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Well members,

TELL ME YOUR LONGEST NEGOTIATION PERIOD FOR A PARTICULAR BOAT.
Our experience with our PNW cruiser was not typical. As I recall, the time from submitting our offer to the purchase of the boat, or at least to the acceptance of our offer, was about 15 minutes. That's how long it took to radio our offer from Seattle out to the owner of the boat who was driving his new boat down the west coast from Vancouver, BC to San Francisco Bay, and to get the acceptance message back. The boat we were making the offer on was also in San Francisco Bay.

Our offer was contingent on three things.

1. The boat had to be what the owner said it was: a bone stock production boat with no modifications and no surprises.
2. The boat had to pass our inspection and do well on its sea trial.
3. The boat had to do well on a hull/systems survey and a separate engine/generator survey, the surveyors to be selected by and paid by us.

We then flew to California with our broker and a very good friend who knows more about boats of this type than God (we paid his air fare and expenses), the boat met our three conditions, and we called the marine trucking company and said, "Haul it two states north."

Our other two boats were purchased brand new so there was no offer/offer acceptance step in the process.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
He was told he was getting a Bank Cheque, full stop, end of story.
I also said I was leaving the next day to return to Perth.

That brought about a quick finish to our endless negotiations.
I hope that finish was in your favor... if so: Right ON! Good Job!!!

If not... keep on keeping on.