Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member
 
Slowpoke's Avatar
 
City: Annapolis
Country: USA
Vessel Name: In Between
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 51
Sounds like the OP has never done the ICW before. I personally enjoy the natural beauty of the GA marsh. Lots of birds and nature.....take it all in if you have the time. Enjoy the Journey.
__________________
Advertisement

Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #22
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,747
Greetings,
I agree FULLY with Mr. S. Beauty in the starkness. Little compares with the "low country" experience.
__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #23
Member
 
City: Savannah
Country: United States
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
ICW vs Outside in Georgia

I live in Savannah. Have done the whole thing multiple times. Weather is my main concern (wind). Savannah to St. Augustine is a piece of cake but with short days 18-20 cruise speeds would be necessary to avoid arrival after dark. Have done ICW and there are spots where awareness to depths at low tides are very important but very doable. With short days and 3-5 ft seas (forecast) I usually stay inside. Absolutely great anchorages along the way. Either way, enjoy the trip.
wrm95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 PM   #24
Guru
 
City: Hampton, va
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 937
Actually not quite right

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: What's your goal. If it's slow cruising and seeing the sites on the water then inside. If it's getting quickly to the next marina, then it's outside. If you're going to take weeks to cruise south, probably in. If you're trying to find the fastest way to head south then more out.
Going outside on a trawler is not necessarily faster than going inside, and in fact can add miles. One has to exit the ice which can add 5 miles or more and then re-enter. The difference on the outside is that I can set the auto pilot and read a book, glancing up at gauges and around the boat every few minutes. In the ICW you have to pay attention.

A buddy boat left Jekyl Island at the exact same time we did. We arrived at At Kilkenny Creek precisely at the same time. He reported a similar crushing speed to what we used.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #25
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,004
It depends on quite a few things. The best way to decide is do a couple dry runs on paper.then when the day comes, the few variables can be guessed into the lan more easily.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #26
Guru
 
City: Hampton, va
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 937
Almost always no difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It depends on quite a few things. The best way to decide is do a couple dry runs on paper.then when the day comes, the few variables can be guessed into the lan more easily.
My wife keeps a handy reference from an ICW cruising guide that compares distances inside and outside for various stretches of the ICW. In nearly every instance the distances are comparable. The only leg that I know to be shorter is the wrightsville beach to Beaufort, NC leg.

However, if you do overnights and skip several inlets, you can save a lot of time and miles.

But I would never argue that one way or the other is better. Definitely more to see inside.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #27
Guru
 
City: Hampton, va
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 937
Also bridge wait times can play a roll in which way is faster.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #28
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
Going outside on a trawler is not necessarily faster than going inside, and in fact can add miles. One has to exit the ice which can add 5 miles or more and then re-enter. The difference on the outside is that I can set the auto pilot and read a book, glancing up at gauges and around the boat every few minutes. In the ICW you have to pay attention.

A buddy boat left Jekyl Island at the exact same time we did. We arrived at At Kilkenny Creek precisely at the same time. He reported a similar crushing speed to what we used.
Wifey B: My understanding is he's got a Mainship 430 and they cruise faster if he desires. Isn't restricted to 6 or 8 knots.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #29
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
My wife keeps a handy reference from an ICW cruising guide that compares distances inside and outside for various stretches of the ICW. In nearly every instance the distances are comparable. The only leg that I know to be shorter is the wrightsville beach to Beaufort, NC leg.

However, if you do overnights and skip several inlets, you can save a lot of time and miles.

But I would never argue that one way or the other is better. Definitely more to see inside.
Wifey B: https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publ.../distances.pdf

That's a nice distance guide.

Short legs are comparable, but as you state longer jumps save many miles and if you can run faster outside than in you save time. Clearly the shortest route between two points like Wilmington to Miami is outside, but as you stop here and there along the way, the distances get closer and closer.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×