Old 09-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseyoung View Post
Sailor's Discovery: 'The Ocean Is Dead' - Yachtsman shares ominous tale

Has anyone crossed the pacific since the tsunami. I have looked for blogs but i can't find anyone who has done it that recently.
We did right after it happened. Since that time the Pacific is pretty much dead. Massive floating debris fields are still coming ashore on Vancouver Island - which prominently sticks out.

Most of the fish are contaminated with Cesium, Thorium and dozen other radioactive materiels. This is why tuna is not on the menu. Only bluefin and swordfish from Atlantic is.

There's been a news blackout since the Japanese govt passed a secrecy act to prevent info from getting out. This is now three years since the accident and hundreds of tons of radioactive wastewater enters the ocean every day.

Our friends who were 100km away from Fuku, were required, not requested to move. They did so and on their last blood tests - apparently didn't move fast enough. 250rads made them ill. Now mercury and pcbs are present in their blood. We will bring them home when they are "allowed" to leave.

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
I saw lots of oil during the big spill. It's gone now, don't know where it went but it's gone. There was a lot of clean up effort but I think that was for pr purposes. It's hard to look at the birds but its funny how no one cared about the bp spill until some pictures of birds made it to GMA. Maybe these pictures will help fight the mountains of plastic.
It sank - it's on the bottom and will not dissipate anytime soon.

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Then there's commercial fishing;

Big-Fish Stocks Fall 90 Percent Since 1950, Study Says
Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider42 View Post
We did right after it happened. Since that time the Pacific is pretty much dead. Massive floating debris fields are still coming ashore on Vancouver Island - which prominently sticks out.

As a Mariner, I understand and have seen first hand floating plastic trash at sea... but the above comment is a bit harsh.. that the Pacific is Dead?

Every day "live" fish , crab etc is harvested from the Pacific..Dolphin and Orca's swim around.. I believe the above statement is a touch over the top.

It is interesting but a google search for Vancouver island Tsunami debris brings up little news since 2013.. and I seriously doubt a news blackout by BC Govt.
For ever we have heard about the Pacific being littered with plastic trash, yet when we sailed all over the South Pacific for 2-1/2 years we never saw 1 piece of floating debris... 15000 miles and zilch. We did see plastic trash walking on the windward beaches and atoll's .. mostly all with Japanese writing that we surmised was from fishing boats.. but not the heaps of trash some environmental groups would report in the news. Since we were there it may have got much worse.. but awareness has also risen in a lot of societies.
For a person reportedly in Iceland you sure do seem to know a lot about the waters in my back yard.

edit: the above mentioned plastic I did see was a sony tv floating off the Washington about 75 miles.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #25
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
With all these massive floating debris fields as far as the eye can see you'd think Google Earth satellite photos would be all you see on every news service worldwide. Oh wait, news blackout.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #26

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: 1987 Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
With all these massive floating debris fields as far as the eye can see you'd think Google Earth satellite photos would be all you see on every news service worldwide. Oh wait, news blackout.
I seem to recall reading several years ago that due to the ocean's gyres, there was a mass of debris (plastics mostly) claimed to be greater is size than the State of Texas swirling around in the Pacific. It was purportedly breaking down (as mentioned in post #13) and creating havoc throughout the food chain.

Wondered myself how come it's not visible from a Sat photo available to us commoners....
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'm in no way saying pollution shouldn't be taken seriously wherever it's known to exist. I'd just like to see some scalable photographic evidence to substantiate the claims. Seems not much to ask in an age where I can pull up a street view of most any address in a first world country from my cell phone is all.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
One of the unusual happenings the past few years on the BC and Alaska coasts is the lack of tsunami debris vs the predictions. This is from expert, personal and first hand information. People have and are looking, including teams from Japan who have been sent over.

No doubt when it gets to the purity of the oceans and shores, emotions run high. Overfished, yes. Whether the Pacific, Atlantic, Baltic etc commercial fishing has badly depleted stocks.

Anti dumping efforts of sewage and trash around the Pacific Rim is making progress, but lots moreto do. China predicts millions to be employed on environmental efforts and machinery - on that one basis alone China will move forward with cleanup of air, water and land as they need the jobs.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #29
Guru

Well, it's finding its way into the Arctic sea ice;

Trillions of Tiny Plastic Pieces Reside in Arctic Ice - Scientific American
Old 09-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Well, it's finding its way into the Arctic sea ice;

Trillions of Tiny Plastic Pieces Reside in Arctic Ice - Scientific American
No doubt the two paragraph summary has lots of field data, but I'm puzzled. Some say the Arctic sea ice is melting at an alarming rate and has been for decades. This being the case, how did the plastic from the tsunami find its way into the sea ice samples tested? Or even earlier plastic for that matter?
Old 09-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
No doubt the two paragraph summary has lots of field data, but I'm puzzled. Some say the Arctic sea ice is melting at an alarming rate and has been for decades. This being the case, how did the plastic from the tsunami find its way into the sea ice samples tested? Or even earlier plastic for that matter?
My slope browed knuckle dragging understanding of the issue is that this would be very small bits of plastic that have been accumulating for a long time, not just tsunami debris.

The artctic sea ice pulsates north and south during the year, but what I think worries scientists is the average thickness of the ice is rapidly reducing. Seem to remember the US Navy releasing data from all the times their nuke subs punched through the ice over the decades, and there has been a steady thinning over time.

As for the plastic, because it floats, it gets incorporated into the bottom layer of the ice as it freezes, then releases massive pulses when it melts out during summer.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnielsen View Post

Wondered myself how come it's not visible from a Sat photo available to us commoners....
"For many people, the idea of a “garbage patch” conjures up images of an island of trash floating on the ocean. In reality, these patches are usually made up of tiny bits of plastic, called microplastics. Microplastics that make up the majority of garbage patches can’t always be seen by the naked eye. Satellite imagery of oceans doesn’t show a giant patch of garbage."
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #33
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider42 View Post

Our friends who were 100km away from Fuku, were required, not requested to move. They did so and on their last blood tests - apparently didn't move fast enough. 250rads made them ill. Now mercury and pcbs are present in their blood. We will bring them home when they are "allowed" to leave.
Please elaborate on how they received 250rads at that distance and how they have the non-radioactive contaminates of mercury and pcb in there blood.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #34
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
I say we all pitch in, charter a large boat to go out find these patches of trash, and research them for ourselves.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #35
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I say we all pitch in, charter a large boat to go out find these patches of trash, and research them for ourselves.
I second that, hell sometimes I would like to donate my beloved cajun rose to the garbage patch or floating island of trash
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #36
FF
Guru

Or next few decades. When things go over the tipping point it's every fast. Not a gradual decline.

The gov thinks an EMP attack will cost 2/3 of the US population within a year.

Prep the boat ,have paper charts for South America , dont get behind a lock or opening bridge , and enough food for 3-4 months and a water supply, rain catchment or water maker.

You can lighten the boat by tossing anything electric with a transistor in it, GPS , autopilot, LED lights ,,,,

What ME worry?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #37
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Last month I was out on the Oregon coast visiting a close friend who is a commercial fisherman. He hook and line fishes Albacore Tuna and unloads his catch of 12,000 lbs at one of the processors/canneries that line the northern pacific coast. He has been plugging his boat full for most of the season. I just talked to him yesterday (he just pulled in with 11,000 lbs in 2 days) and was waiting to get unloaded so he could go out again, one last time. I wonder what levels of "stuff" are in those fish, I saw no one monitoring the catch before it when inside to be processed.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
I just talked to him yesterday (he just pulled in with 11,000 lbs in 2 days) and was waiting to get unloaded so he could go out again, one last time. I wonder what levels of "stuff" are in those fish, I saw no one monitoring the catch before it when inside to be processed.
How did the tuna get off the Oregon coast, is that not part of the dead Pacific?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
How did the tuna get off the Oregon coast, is that not part of the dead Pacific?
You're being too literal. The author of the piece, having sailed the waters years earlier experienced a vibrant ocean full of life. Fish were easily caught and birds were seen consistently. Recently, he couldn't catch fish easily and there were no birds.

Now imagine being on the open ocean for weeks, where on earlier voyages its emptyness made you hyper aware of any other life forms you encountered, then, you cross again and see nothing. The silence would be haunting.

What was the average size of tuna the fisherman brought in, as compared to catches 50 years ago?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #40
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:

undoubtedly the "tuna" were planted by the govt. to make us think the pacific is still alive. The may actually be genetically altered Tilapia from a lab hidden at the Hanford site .. flown in and planted at night by the black helicopters..

Oh boy we are in for it now..

if I never post on TF again.. you will know that the men in black suits that drive the blacked out Suburbans came and got me for figuring out their evil plan..

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote