Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr GJ. Well, for a 42' boat $50K sounds reasonable. I got a quote 2 years ago for ours (slightly larger) from AYB (as mentioned in post #17) and it came in around $130K. Your call. Did ours with Alexseal.

I can definitely tell you who NOT to use for a paint job (locals out of Elizabeth City, NC).

Old 03-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Cracks like you show in the pictures are called radius cracks and not that uncommon in many different so called quality brands.. Especially for Chinese built vessels that do not have good QA/QC.

I have seen and dealt with them many times over the years. To do the job right they have to be ground out and a layer or two of mat properly installed (that is likely missing) with paint and or gel coat to follow. Simply painting over them will only and briefly mask the underlying issues, poor build quality around the door or structure.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
No, I don't think so, The c trunk cabin's gelcoat is probably the best on the boat, other than the hull. The owner re-enforced the trunk cabin roof to take the skids and get the blades over the roof of the fly bridge. But, if you look at the picture you do see 3 barrels that probably contain JP8. that is about 1300 pounds of fuel. The chopper weighs about 1500 pounds. The crazing is everywhere, not just at the back of the boat to include the area above the front windows.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Wow, looks like a lot of work to get it right. Maybe not cost effectively possible, still more than a paint job IMHO. Hard to blame OA.

Should have been an Al boat so it could be used as a landing pad and freight ferry!
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #25
Guru

Sunchaser,

After thoroughly examining the trunk cabin, I would be surprised to learn that carrying the helicopter had any impact. Again, this gel coat problem is everywhere to include the bow. I have looked at numerous OAs that have gel coat issues. I looked at a 423 in Connecticut last summer that had only 600 hours on the engines and a new looking interior, but all the horizontal surfaces were crazed with thousands upon thousands of cracks of all types. Vertical surfaces looked great.

I am going to take some advice, however, and do some grinding out of the radiuses and reglass to avoid future cracks.

Gordon
Old 03-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sidney
Am I missing something?
Late last night you said "I was looking at buying a 2003 456."
Today you say "I am going to take some advice, however, and do some grinding out of the radiuses and reglass to avoid future cracks."

Have you already bought it?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #27
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
In my experience that sort of cracking is due to the gelcoat being too thick. Gel coat is simply heavily pigmented, slightly thickened resin. As such it has no glass fiber reinforcement. Putting it on too thick results in cracks like you have shown. Prepping it for paint will start with an aggressive sanding of all surfaces. When that is done the surface will be coated with a filler putty (awl-fair is the awl-grip product). That will then be sanded out and the surface will get one or more coats of primer. After final sanding the topcoat will be sprayed on. As mentioned above a quality awl-grip paint job (or any other two part urethane product) will look great for around 10 years and will in most cases still look pretty good for years past that. The color of the paint will be a factor. Dark finishes and reds don't last as long as light colors.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sidney
TDunn; nice commentary.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #29
Guru

Hawgwash,

An agreement is being contemplated. My words may be getting ahead of reality. The hard part in any boat buying decision, is trying to figure out the right price, and that is what all my questions are about. At the end of the day, with a boat like this, one has to make sure that they are being compensated for the risk they are taking. What happens if the boat painting cost 60k, instead of $40k. Etc, etc, etc. I have to make sure there is enough slack in the price to protect myself from this kind of surprise.

Gordon
Old 03-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: tampa
Vessel Name: ocean paradise
Vessel Model: mainship 1 210cummins
I would use a pencil grinder on some of the cracks,to see if they are surface cracks. I used awlfair on the gelcoat cracks on my boat and they never reappeared that was 5 years ago.awlfair is great product
bluemainship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #31
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
In my experience that sort of cracking is due to the gelcoat being too thick. Gel coat is simply heavily pigmented, slightly thickened resin. As such it has no glass fiber reinforcement. Putting it on too thick results in cracks like you have shown. I completely agree!.
My 2006 OA 42 had 140 spider cracks. Not only were they in corners, radii and the like, they were everywhere! I hired an expert who spent 2 weeks (off & on) grinding, filling, sanding, spraying new gel coat, clear coating and polishing. The boat looks terrific now and the bill was a skosh over 5 boat bucks. My cracks were hairline and not as severe as the OP's boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	49493  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #32
Guru

I have seen so many Ocean Alexander's with bad gelcoat, I am wondering if anyone has ever submitted warranty work to the company to have the issue addressed. Of course it would be much too late for a boat 13 years old, But I am wondering if Ocean Alexander ever owned up to their quality control problem.

Just wondering,

Gordon
Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #33

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
This issue is not just with OA's. Those pics could have been of my boat, I had/have virtually the identical issue. The great majority are not spider cracks in the traditional sense as they are not caused by stress and do not go deeper than the actual gelcoat, the laminate is perfectly fine.

I believe TDun is mostly correct, aside from the gel coat being very thick, I also believe that there is an incompatibility issue between the gelcoat and laminate resin used. As to why the extreme gel coat thickness, it was undoubtedly done to prevent print-through because they chose not to use chopped straw. This was not an attempt at saving a buck it was an attempt at quality. Unfortunately it backfired on them.

I have found that approx 70% of these areas can simply be sanded out and when finished with 1000 grit wet sanding and polishing they are virtually invisible. The balance requires such aggressive sanding it breaks through the gelcoat exposing the yellow laminate and requires spot spraying with paint to hide. Incidentally the reduced gel thickness from repairing / sanding these areas seems to prevent it from reoccurring.

I further do not believe this is entirely an issue triggered by sun exposure, I am under cover.

Both Ocean Alexander and Albin are supposed to be high end, high quality boats but it only goes to prove once again they "all" have their issues be it rusty tanks, leaky windows, blisters or all of the above. You either find one that has the work already done or find one that needs work you can do.

Personally Gordon, I wouldn't worry about it unless your finicky about cosmetics. If you are, I would walk away, you will never recover the 50K cost to paint it. In 10 years it will need painting again by the next owner and you gain nothing. At least this one still has the "original" gel coat and you don't have to deal with several layers of old flaking paint.

In my case I tackle one area at a time but mostly I only think about doing it while relaxing on the aft deck with a cold beer.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #34
Guru

CAPT Kangaroo,

Thanks for the response. I am finicky about appearance, but think that I can do the paint prep myself and spare most of the painting expense. I have been known to wield a pretty mean sander.

Gordon
Old 03-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
The first thing to figure out is whether the problems are just on the surface or there are structural and integrity problems, perhaps moisture, etc. As to a "body man" looking at it, I'd much prefer a marine surveyor.

Only after a very good survey will you know the extent of the problem. Even then there may be additional hidden damage. However, until someone knowledgeable has checked for penetration, checked for moisture, looked at areas of possible flex you're shooting in the dark.

Now, if they find it's all superficial, then it's easy. Just a good paint job including all the preparation that is needed. I've seen some ten year old Sunseeker's with spidering on all decks and surfaces and with no structural integrity issues. The explanations vary but include temperatures at the time of gelcoat application, quality of gelcoat material, and others. We will never attempt a gelcoat repair on one. Almost had it awlgripped at purchase but decided to get a little time from the gelcoat and paint at the first sign of spidering.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr GJ. Well, for a 42' boat $50K sounds reasonable.
It's almost to cheap considering the amount of labor and product that will be needed to correct that mess.

Figure out a fair pride for that boat if the gelcoat was in good shape and deduct $40,000 to $60,000 off the top.

It's a shame that do to a builders shoty work that an owner looses so much money at resale.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #37
Guru

BandB,

We are already at the point of massive spidering. I am retired and we have a year before we leave. I might just learn to paint myself.

Thanks all for the input.

Gordon
Old 03-03-2016, 02:37 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
BandB,

We are already at the point of massive spidering. I am retired and we have a year before we leave. I might just learn to paint myself.

Thanks all for the input.

Gordon
Yes, and I'm sure their warranty says spidering isn't covered, that it's normal and just superficial. They don't care how ugly and unacceptable and that other builders don't have it. Of course many other builders don't have it because they paint the boat from the outset. We came very close to painting this one today, brand new, but decided to get a couple of years or whatever we can out of the gelcoat. Maybe do the Loop once first.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #39

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I don't think $50,000 would cover this paint job going on now on this 120' yacht in one of our in-water paint sheds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paint Feb 2016.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	49499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint shed 2016.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	49500  
Old 03-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
American Custom Yachts painted this 58' Krogen last fall. Awgrip from the water line on up, including the mast, 3 colors, $70,000. The owner dropped the boat off and picked it up 4.5 months later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002a.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	49503  

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote