Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
There was an "observer" (that's the law in Ct) but the driver was also observing and not watching where he was going.
That's very common and i know the temptation. As a driver of a boat pulling a skier, you really want to watch and I conditioned myself to the fact that it wasn't my role and to never turn my head back. I would see some in the mirror but used it just as I always did to watch what was behind me. It's hard to overcome the temptation to watch the skier. Also, when I was very young, we didn't always have a person to watch. I think I was probably 17 or so when we changed.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Little Fish
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
I was a passenger aboard a Washington State Ferry recently, enroute from Anacortes, WA to Sidney BC with a stop at Friday Harbor. As the ferry turned into the channel between Shaw Island and the northern end of Lopez Island, an aluminum outboard fishing boat in the 20-24 foot range (common for fishing in the PNW) came from the direction of Shaw Island at a good speed, maybe 15-20 knots. It came directly at the bow of the ferry. The ferry sounded it's horn as the boat seemed to continue on the head-on course. The ferry increased the horns progressively as the boat closed until the eventual continual blast. All this time, the ferry was reducing speed and finally coming to a full stop ensured by full reverse power. The fishing boat came right at the bow of the ferry at, what appeared to be, full speed. There were clearly two men in the boat, though it had tinted windows in the canopy cover. At the very last moment, the boat veered off of a collision course, passing quite close along the length of the starboard side of the ferry and then sped off.
I was standing on the 2nd deck platform at the starboard corner of the bow and watched the entire episode. The occupants of this boat were sitting in the two seats in the fishing boat and I could easily see their silhouettes through the darkened plexiglas looking at the ferry. It was clear they were playing chicken, or something similar. Maybe the owner said to his guest "watch this. I can stop a ferry".
It was a pathetic example of childishness, and lack of concern for one's fellow men, women and children.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #43
Guru

City: South Florida
Salty, if you've ever driven a car in South Florida you wouldn't need to ask that question.

QUOTE=SaltyDawg86;578150 Not sure how you figure that.....

Originally Posted by Keysdisease

Doesn't work for drivers licensing, what make you think it will work on the water?

As far as Darwinism, what happens when you're hit and killed by some idiot but the idiot walks away?[/QUOTE]
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Little Fish
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post
We spent a lazy day at the mooring wall of the Toronto Islands today. About 8 pm the wind started to pick up so we decided to leave and motor through the harbor and then on home about 20 nm. I figured I would have to tuck in close to the north shore to find calmer water. As we cruised the harbor I heard a coast guard message that a boat had broken down off Ashbridges Bay and was seeking assistance. SeaTow responded that they were enroute. After leaving Toronto harbor I cleared the headland and moved in close to shore to travel east to our home port. The wind had really picked up from the north and the sun had set. From the flybridge I noticed a blinking light about a mile further offshore from us. As I watched I realized it was 3 short, 3 long and 3 short being repeated. We decided to check it out and it was the boat reported by the Coast Guard message. I approached them and got them in my lee to find 7 persons, 3 adult males, 2 women and 2 children aboard a broken down boat they had just bought. I got the women and kids aboard and Arlene looked after them in the salon then towed the boat with the men still aboard into Ashbridges Bay where they had launched. SeaTow was still an hour and a half away and these people were being blown offshore towards Rochester. While underway I contacted the Marine Police to report the finding and tow and then closed it out with them when I finished dropping them off.
After dropping them off with a warning to get the boat looked at and to check out the filters and all we motored home on a lovely windy night feeling that we had at least saved them an uncomfortable few hours of worry. Arlene was excellent at the controls keeping the swim platform right next to their boat while I transferred the ladies and children and then she served tea in the salon while I did the tow. Teamwork.
I would not want to be those guys later on that night.
Nice! Well done.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #45

City: Carrollton, Va
So because south fla sucks, the entire country is broken?

2 weeks ago I was coming into Tampa, 525 ft long, 75 ft wide, 21-6 draft and a group of kayaks are crossing the channel.... 1 turtles dead ahead of me about 3/4 of a mile away. Lucky for me he got back in and out the way.

Not even 15 minutes before that, a pontoon boat in a rush to get to the beach cuts my bow so close, I can't see him. Imagine if his single engine would have stalled....

The week before that, I'm coming out of Big Bend in Tampa and a center console loaded with a family stops in the middle of the channel, 75 yards off my bow so he can set up his approach to Beer Can Island. I have plenty of stupid stories, but those are from just 1 hitch. Notice the common theme, average people who can go out and buy a boat with know knowledge and no idea how to read their surroundings.

I'm all for everyone having a USCG license. Let's go further.... Renew every 5 years, full physicals and drug tests as well. Pay to play and get some stupidity off the water.
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #46

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Salty, if you've ever driven a car in South Florida you wouldn't need to ask that question.
Ain't that the truth. I was driving to work one day, in bumper to bumper traffic on Pine Rd. (no one going over 10 mph) and a lady managed to put her SUV on it's side. I still can't figure how she did it.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #47
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Far worse driving in Pocono today.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #48
FF
Guru

"Connecticut has had a mandatory class required for a boating certificate.....but it's not very comprehensive or effective from what I have seen."

We can not register our boat in CT, as even with my USCG 100Ton ticket I would have to sit thru this course!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote