OA 60 Stolen from Harbourtown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
I just realized messaging with someone that I don't think this has been mentioned here.

Police: Repossessed 60-foot yacht stolen from Fla. harbor | www.palmbeachpost.com

"Change of Latitude" motor yacht stolen from Dania Beach marina - Sun Sentinel

All this in Dania Beach where they've had a lot of small theft issues but three people taking five hours to steal a 60' yacht and no one noticing (apparently for several days but I'm not sure of that) doesn't speak especially well of the marina's 24/7 security.

I've read elsewhere that the boat was repo'd, then possibly re-repo'd. Foreign flagged so once offshore, it's gone.

I've read elsewhere that the boat was repo'd, then possibly re-repo'd. Foreign flagged so once offshore, it's gone.

It would appear from what has been said that it got out of the country before being noticed. If that's the case, recovery is extremely doubtful.

Maybe the thieves will screw up and turn the AIS on! They may find things tough though, I bet they have the wrong anchor!

Wait, doesn't Oliver live there?

He does have a previous issue with some shoes IIRC. Just sayin.

?

?

I was wondering when that would come. Close and once again he's gone out of the country, but I think we can relax and assume Oliver wasn't involved. It wasn't a Nordhavn.

Interesting.

I knew a couple of ex-cons not too long ago, that made a pretty decent living taking large boats off shore.

Had the opportunity to interview them at length.
It's apparently not really that difficult if you're good.

Greed is what got them busted:facepalm:

Interesting.

I knew a couple of ex-cons not too long ago, that made a pretty decent living taking large boats off shore.

Had the opportunity to interview them at length.
It's apparently not really that difficult if you're good.

Greed is what got them busted:facepalm:

It's like the movies where it's always "just one more job."

Could be that whoever it was repossessed from was not really the lawful owner. The "ownership" sounds complicated. There could be lots of "unknowns". Wonder if it`s headed for Philippines?

Could be that whoever it was repossessed from was not really the lawful owner. The "ownership" sounds complicated. There could be lots of "unknowns". Wonder if it`s headed for Philippines?

I had the thought too that perhaps the lawful owner had let someone else take over payments without bank permission.

Who knows where it's headed. First stop probably the Bahamas. Cuba would have been a short trip for them.

?

This bears scrutiny. While Oliver is out of the country I happen to know for a fact it's not on a trawler. He claimed to be on a 60' sport fish but it well could have been a motor yacht.

Dum da daaaa :)

It's like the movies where it's always "just one more job."

Yepper.

Funny part was, his associate, also his girlfriend (and a former Coastie :banghead:), told him not to do it! The set up was too risky, but Nooooooo...

I forget now how many years they got in Club Fed, but it was significant!
She got a much sweeter deal in the total scheme of things, by turning federal witness. So much for love:smitten: :rofl:.

You just never know about these things. I have a friend who bought a new boat & paid 300K "cash". Six months later it was snatched by a baliff because the dealer never fully paid the manufacturer for it. After posting a bond buddy got the boat back as temporary custodian until it could be sorted out by the courts. Dealer subsequently went bankrupt, he went through hell & it took years to get title back. Same thing happened to my father with a motor home that was "fully paid for" at purchase. They never found the motor home to repo and it was later found dealer had in fact paid but manufacturer was cooking books & padding inventory in order to cheat or hide from their bank for some reason.

Most boatyard/marina security is to keep out contractors who do not have insurance. With a quick visit to a local tee shirt printing shop you can get tee shirts made with the name of a recognized diesel repair business and no one at the marina will look at you twice, especially if you look like you know what you are doing.
The boat had been repossessed, the former owner could have mailed old documents and a key to a delivery captain who though it was totally legit.

The boat has been located but no further details are available.

I bought a repossessed boat...

The bank hired a firm that specializes in recovery and sale of bank owned boats.

The outfit showed up at the dock, got the boat started and left in the middle of the night.

The owner thought it was stolen, and when he found out it was repo'd he was Pissed!!!

Paperwork wiise it was simple. The lein was properly recorded so all the bank did was write an engagement letter to the repo outfit, and provide a copy of the lein.

Sale was a couple forms by the bank which my title company used to get my document

Back
Top Bottom