Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #21
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
The current environment (at least in the US) is to question facts, and sources, so I won't bother posting the links to some of the reputable science based web sites I found on a google search noting that GW may indeed be the cause of larger wave heights we are experiencing. IE, rogue waves have always been around, but their frequency appears to be increasing.
Cigarette smokers are 50% more likely to get divorced than non smokers. So do cigarettes cause divorce????

What does this have to do with this discussion????? There is a chance that the frequency of rogue waves is not increasing at all. It is simply because we have the ability to monitor them more closely. My point here is that you can't always take something at face value. There may be other things at play. In this case....the ability to measure/monitor/report rogue waves.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:43 PM   #22
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,513
But but but, the article is PC, the boat had a female Commander.
NZ only recently, after a long ban,permitted US nuclear powered vessels in its waters.
NZ has strong "progressive" views on a number of subjects.
Surely none of the additional easily ignored verbiage detracts from the essence of the report.
__________________

__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:32 AM   #23
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Country: United States
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
But but but, the article is PC, the boat had a female Commander.
This comment is completely out of line. The gender of the skipper is totally irrelevant, and for you to suggest it is, says more about you than the article.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 AM   #24
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
This comment is completely out of line. The gender of the skipper is totally irrelevant, and for you to suggest it is, says more about you than the article.
Oh Benthic,do lighten up.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:56 AM   #25
TF Site Team
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,184
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Oh Benthic,do lighten up.
Yes, fair comment. But Bruce, sorry but you are wrong re this comment...

"NZ only recently, after a long ban, permitted US nuclear powered vessels in its waters."

It appears it is still in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ze...lear-free_zone
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:15 AM   #26
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Country: United States
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,421
There is a lot of low hanging fruit on this thread. However...to suggest that the gender of the skipper is a relevant detail is TOTALLY out of line and completely unacceptable.

A big wave vs a medium ship will always be an interesting event.

Whether the skipper of that ship is a man or a woman is, and ALWAYS will be, totally irrelevant, and to suggest otherwise is an affront to both men and women, everywhere.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #27
Guru
 
Fletcher500's Avatar
 
City: So-Cal
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,053
Baker, it is relevant. Like it or not.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #28
Member
 
3blade single's Avatar
 
City: Atlanta
Country: U.S.
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: n/a
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
"She blinded me with science." - Thomas Dolby
3blade single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #29
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
There is a lot of low hanging fruit on this thread. However...to suggest that the gender of the skipper is a relevant detail is TOTALLY out of line and completely unacceptable.



I'm not so sure about that. If you follow the Naval Service you'll see it's still a pretty hot topic. Not saying who is right or wrong, I'm just saying that the gender issue isn't anything like settled.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #30
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,229
The US has at least one female Commanding submarine officer plus more than a few enlisted female members.
What I dont like is the women still consider pregnancy as an easy out.
__________________
If you must love me, don't love me for my beauty. Love me because I know how to cook.
The burial for my intuitive gene was last month.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #31
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,404
Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...consider pregnancy as an easy out." I guess it depends on the intensity and duration of labor...Our first was about 20 minutes. Our second seemed like it took forever.


__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #32
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
This was a political thread from the first post. The article linked is about a wave vs ship moment and yet it manages to loop in Chinese Human Rights and Global Warming ?

The thread title might as well have been "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here...."
Well played Sir, well played!!! LMAO:
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #33
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...consider pregnancy as an easy out." I guess it depends on the intensity and duration of labor...Our first was about 20 minutes. Our second seemed like it took forever.


RT, I know of female officers and enlisted women who told me, "If I dont like the (Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force etc) I will just get pregnant and get an early out. Meanwhile the shipmate fathers have to support the woman and child.

Sure am glad I was sterile. "Still not pregnant? Guess we better keep trying."
LOL Fooled her.
__________________
If you must love me, don't love me for my beauty. Love me because I know how to cook.
The burial for my intuitive gene was last month.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #34
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
I'm not so sure about that. If you follow the Naval Service you'll see it's still a pretty hot topic. Not saying who is right or wrong, I'm just saying that the gender issue isn't anything like settled.
People are weird...how could anyones gender compromise how they operate a vessel or supervise people? Some organizations are slow in adapting to a new normal. Women weren't allowed to compete in the marathon at the Olympics until 1984, one reason being it was feared their uteruses would fall out.

I like Prime Minister Trudeau's quote when asked why 1/2 his cabinet members were women, and he said "Because it's 2015"
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #35
Guru
 
sbu22's Avatar
 
City: New Orleans
Country: US
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,057
Dan - the first wave of female submarine officers will not screen for command until 2024 (assuming they touch all the required career bases). This would place the initial fem sub CO assignment at about 2026.

This isn't an issue of the inate ability (or inability) of females to perform tech functions. It is a fact that, in 2016, 16% of afloat female sailors were pregnant and reassigned from ships to shore duty. These transfers and the backfill cost the USN $110 million. Not to mention the effect on teams and unit cohesiveness.

"Because it's 2015" isn't much of an answer.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #36
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,229
Sbu22 and don't forget, the "father" must give the woman about 1/2 his pay forever even if they never marry or she refuses to see him or let him see the child ever again.

Yea, I may seem to be coming off as the 'heavy' but, this does happen way too often.

Maybe 20 years ago, pregnancy was an auto discharge. Now they fill of the shore billets, so the men cant have access to them. I was a machinist mate and I think there 100 shore billets available for this rate. I am not sure why any women can go into that rate unless it involved nuclear power training but, that use to recall, that's a 7 year enlistment. LOL
__________________
If you must love me, don't love me for my beauty. Love me because I know how to cook.
The burial for my intuitive gene was last month.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #37
Guru
 
sbu22's Avatar
 
City: New Orleans
Country: US
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,057
Apologize for the tone and drift.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 PM   #38
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
This isn't an issue of the inate ability (or inability) of females to perform tech functions. It is a fact that, in 2016, 16% of afloat female sailors were pregnant and reassigned from ships to shore duty. These transfers and the backfill cost the USN $110 million. Not to mention the effect on teams and unit cohesiveness.
The Canadian Government apparently takes a different view, in that it's not seen as an inconvenience and they want parents to take the time to establish bonds with their children.

Paternity leave in Canadian Forces - 37 weeks.
Paternity leave in US Army - 14 days.

Maternity leave in Canadian Forces (while pregnant and after) - 55 weeks,
Maternity leave in US Army - 12 weeks.

Adoption leave is also 37 weeks in Canada.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #39
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
The Canadian Government apparently takes a different view, in that it's not seen as an inconvenience and they want parents to take the time to establish bonds with their children.

Paternity leave in Canadian Forces - 37 weeks.
Paternity leave in US Army - 14 days.

Maternity leave in Canadian Forces (while pregnant and after) - 55 weeks,
Maternity leave in US Army - 12 weeks.

Adoption leave is also 37 weeks in Canada.



Might have something to do with a culture more martial and less social engineering centered, especially in the Naval Service. Think Tailhook and the Marine Corps continued resistance to women in combat MOS.


Not knocking the Army, CG, and Air Force .... well, maybe sort of, a little bit.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #40
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: ACIW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 18,973
USCG had female COs of combatants long before the Navy.

And yes, the USCG is then crazy enough to offer longer maternity leaves and then penalize them for not working enough.
__________________

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012