Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Nylon 3 strand rope

I am looking to replace my anchor rode with a good quality nylon 3 strand 5/8"

Who is a good manufacturer of 3 strand nylon.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

City: Homosassa River, FL
Vessel Name: Mango Mama
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36
RE: Nylon 3 strand rope

I can't recommend any particular brand but I can say be careful of bargains. I bought a reel from Sams Club that I returned because it was crap.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

City: Maine

What's the difference between using a nylon rode or a chain rode? I know the nylon will be dynamic and the chain will be static, but are there other differences?
Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
Who is a good manufacturer of 3 strand nylon.

SD
*New England Ropes - Marine Choice
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

New England Ropes is probably the most expensive. Samson Ropes are also good. I use Bucaneer ropes. They are manufactured in Alabama.
Be aware that all ropes are not alike. Note even close. There are standards for testing ropes and if the manufacturer specifies the breaking strength than more than likely he followed the standards for testing. If they don't post a breaking strength, DONT BUY IT.
So.....when you are looking for a specific diameter, check the major manufacturers and compare their breaking strengths.
I cant remember what size rope I was looking at once before but I think it might have been 1/2". The breaking strenghts varied between 4,500 lbs and 7,500 lbs depending on the manhufacturer.
Just search the web for "3 strand nylon marine rope". There are lots of them out there.
Buy it by the 600 ft spool. Use what you need and sell the rest at the same price per foot you paid and someone in your marina will buy it by the end of the day and then you both benefitted by the bulk price.

One note on diff between chain and rope rodes. Chain is heavier and lays on the bottom. The holding power of an anchor is dependant on the angle of pull. The flatter the angle, the beter the holding power. Rope will abrade on the bottom against rocks and even sand after a period of time will wear through rope. Generally speaking, on most anchor systems/rodes, the rope is the stronger part and the chain is the weaker part. If you use a swivel, more than likely, it will be the weakest part. When you buy these components, each one will be rated on breaking strength. Try to match them closely.

One more thing about rodes is that a chain or cable has ver little give or stretch. This puts a heavy load or shock load on you anchor and cleats. Nylon will stretch a fairly good amount and this is desireable.

My personal feelings are that a good rode has rope from your boat cleats to a chain and the chain connecting to the anchor.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Rodger that. I use 40' of chain to 5/8" nylon. I end for end it every 3 or 4 years.

The stuff*I have now is braided with a large thimble in the end. It doesn't like to go thru my anchor roller very well. The thimble that is.

looking to get rid of the thimble and do a splice into the chain.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
......looking to get rid of the thimble and do a splice into the chain.

*Make the splice like a back splice but just insert the last link of the chain into the splice.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Tony you seem well informed on anchor rodes.

Dude it's not rope but line. Per Chapman's. I use 5/8" "Brait". Not braid. It's a custom special anchor line that can be piled up high and then quickly run out without any problems commonly associated w 3 strand. My 5/8ths Brait was $1.60 per foot at Fisheries Supply. I've got 320 feet of the stuff and can get twice as much in my anchor box as other line. I like it a lot. I think the Brait can be spliced but not sure. I'm standoffish on the splices.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Nylon 3 strand rope

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Dude it's not rope but line. Per Chapman's. I use 5/8" "Brait". Not braid. It's a custom special anchor line that can be piled up high and then quickly run out without any problems commonly associated w 3 strand. My 5/8ths Brait was $1.60 per foot at Fisheries Supply. I've got 320 feet of the stuff and can get twice as much in my anchor box as other line. I like it a lot. I think the Brait can be spliced but not sure. I'm standoffish on the splices.
*I've spliced "Brait" quite a few years ago, and my recollection is that it can be hard to get more than 3 tucks, and taper.* And this also depends on the tightness of the lay.* But the stuff is strong, and being splicable makes it a good at-sea solution.* As Eric says, it should go in/come out without tangling like 3-strand does.* Only a braided line may be better at this, but it is much more challenging to splice, unless you do it more than a couple times a month.

-- Edited by Jay N on Friday 29th of July 2011 07:07:55 PM
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

My favorite anchor line for the past 20 years has come from Good in NJ. NEVER TANGLES on retrieve and drops into locker quite well. It can be spliced easily onto chain and goes through most combo windlasses nicely. *Also color coded. 609 698 4402.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Like nomadwilly, I also have 5/8 brait spliced to chain and love it.* I've now got 120 ft of chain and 240 ft of brait.* Great stuff, lays flat in 60% of the space of comparable 3-strand, plays out smoothly, stays limp and is easy on the hands. It does cost more but is supposed to last longer, too.* We'll see.

I bought mine from Defender with 270 ft of brait and 30 ft of chain for $360.* Don't ask me what happened to the other 30 ft of brait... :wtf:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...390&id=1018575

My Lewmar 1000 windlass called for 9/16 3-strand and 5/16 chain.* When I ordered this combo with the windlass, Defender called me and advised me to upsize the brait one size to avoid slippage in the gypsy.* I've never had any slippage problems.* Their splice flows through my windlass with ease and looks just like the picture above.

I added 90 feet of chain so I'd have enough chain for most of my delta anchoring and then I can let out enough line to tie off on my cleat and act as a snubber.*

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Dude it's not rope but line......
*It's rope when you buy it. It becomes line when it is placed on the boat.

I have never used brait but have used double braided nylon which seems to have the same characteristics when it comes to laying flat and not taking up much room.*I also have the fid kit for splicing it which is a real PITA.

Some people like overkill and end up buying double braided polyester for for their anchor lines *because of it's superior strength and abrasion resistance. Dont ! that type of rope does not have much stretch in it and will creat a shock load on your cleats. *
Old 07-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:

My Lewmar 1000 windlass called for 9/16 3-strand and 5/16 chain.* When I ordered this combo with the windlass, Defender called me and advised me to upsize the brait one size to avoid slippage in the gypsy

* * * * I never received such a call and my Brait slipped in the gypsy. I have three strand but would rather have the brait. It's very flexable and* feeds nicely into the chain locker.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote