NY Times - A few days in the life of a Looper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good read, thanks for sharing!

It was an ok article about great loop cruising. But of necessity it misses some of the great experiences of cruising:

The great- A spur of the moment party of like minded cruisers (there was a pic, but no discussion). Watching the sun set with a cool drink in hand. And.....

The not so great- Punching through 30 kt winds in a driving rain and 6 ft waves in a thunderstorm while searching for the next marker.

David

What I got out of this article, was not what I was expecting. What I read was from a person who had been sent to do a story that he was not inerested in doing.

I kind of agree with Mramoo. I got the feeling the author didn't want to be there, he didn't know anyting about his subject, he didnt really like it, he was kind of disparaging of the loopers, but at the same time he was a little jealous. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

It was unusual for the NY Times. (This appeared in the print version of the magazne section in the Sunday Times.) Still, I enjoyed it.

Story today in NY Times about ferry boat for NYC which is traveling from Louisiana (where it was built) up to NYC. They tried to go through the Okeechobee Waterway and got stuck around Moore Haven. So going to turn around and go around the peninsula. Got to give them credit -- I used to cringe just taking the sailboat through the waterway, with a 4.5 ft draft. Link is https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/...-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

I looked her up. The writer is 24 years old. Though it wouldn't be hard to tell after reading "When I got out of bed for good around 11".

It's no wonder she wasn't enthused, she slept the trip away.

Back
Top Bottom