Old 10-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
NW storm today.

Oh the irony! I was just about to post this when the power quit!! Back on seconds later so will try again. Its blowing pretty good here today in the NW of WA state, probably Oregon and BC as well. Heard this may rival the Columbus Day storm of '62 but that would surprise me, as that was a monster storm, perhaps the biggest to ever hit this area, blew down whole sections of forest on the Olympic Peninsula and surrounding areas. Blew over 100 off the coast. Anyway this should not be as bad as that but forecast is still calling for gust to 60 and more even tomorrow night if they are correct in their forecast. We'll see. So keep your heads down out there local members. Its literally smoking thru the Hole in the Wall at the south end of the Swinomish Channel where it can funnel thru. Hope the power stays on.

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #2

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
A little farther South, the Washington State ferry wind reports just went over 40 knots.

porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
We just got a heads up from the harbormaster via E-mail. Should be ok as were 90 miles inland from Astoria, but ya never know for sure. Good think my brother is just across the river in Vancouver, and if all else fails.....ASD will check Pairadice if he's able to.
Best of luck to everyone for a short storm and no damage!
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I'll be heading to Hadlock tomorrow to see how The Promise fared. Time to "winterize" anyway.

Last night our chimney ended up in the front garden.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
Quite a bit of wind & rain today in Anacortes with more in the near future.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us..._term=facebook
Old 10-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #6

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
This is a pretty ugly storm. Top gust today over 100 mph and seas over 30' off Washington and Oregon coast. Weather models say tomorrow's pulse should be worse. Over a foot of rain to go with it at elevation. F1 or better tornado touched down near Tillamook as there was a lot of spin to this first large low pressure system. Tomorrow supposed to get below 975mb.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...torm-saturday/
Old 10-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
Guru

Watching the weather man on KIRO Seattle. He said there was a lot of talk especially on FB about how this was the worst storm to ever hit the area. He assured everyone that this was not the case. Bad but not that bad. I think Columbus Day '62 will hold onto that record.

It amazes me how so many people in this area have never heard of that storm. I was 9 then living in Seattle and remember it very well. Mentioned it today to several people, nope, never heard of it. Amazing.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
Guru

City: Somewhere
I remember. It hit here in Vancouver, B.C. too. I was 14 walking home when a telephone pole crashed down about 50' behind me. I remember.

Lots of trees downed.

But I'm not surprised that younger folk don't know about it or anyone not here at the time.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Our power just went back on. Been off for most of the day. Gotta scope up on the weather report for tomorrow. As I remember tomorrow (Sat) afternoon the big one is supposed to hit us. But before the power went off I wasn't paying too much attention.

As it is we lost a fairly small tree and no other damage. But the next storm (Sat) is supposed to be worse. I'm going to go check the forecast now.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:23 PM   #10
Guru

Eric, not to mention you are in the flood zone as well. Keep your feet dry and your head down!
Old 10-15-2016, 12:16 AM   #11
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Not as bad as 1962. But still "HURCN FORCE", that's pretty rare in a west coast NOAA forecast.

QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
It's been pretty rocky here in Seattle- winds have averaged 30-35 since about 3 this morning.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:17 AM   #13

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Tomorrow around 3-4PM looks to be the worst of it as the next low comes on shore. Looks to be around 50kt outside of Westport with 29-30' seas. Haro and Georgia Straits looks to see 40 knots with over 10 footers on 5 seconds.
Lots of lines.....I expect 30 knots at 180 degrees for the Seattle boat and about same at 140 degrees up in Blaine. Not the best direction for either but expect we will be ok if that is as bad as it gets. The outside (Coast) will be a good place to avoid!
Old 10-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Wow! Just saw the weather report for out there! Ya'll stay safe!
Besslb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #15
Guru

City: Bass Harbor
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Looking at the forecasts it doesn't look like all that much wind for all but the extreme NW part of the state of Washington. I remember the '62 Columbus Day storm well. We lost several windows to shingles from upwind houses and the pear tree in our back yard blew over. Now that I live on an island on the coast of Maine I don't get excited over anything less than 60 knots. We have nor'easters with 60+ knot winds every winter. In contrast to what you are dealing with, our wind storms tend to be accompanied by a foot or more of snow. You guys in Washington are getting soft. Hell, I was out sailing a few weeks ago in 30-40 knots. Not a big deal. That said, I understand why you might have some power outages since you haven't had a significant storm that clears out the weak trees for quite a while.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Marine weather forecast for south of Nanaimo predicts 50 knots out of southeast for later today and tonight. Ferry delays and cancellations in effect. Ganges Harbour will be a mess. Put out some extra lines Koliver.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
Here at Bay Area got some rain yesterday but expect wind/rain today afternoon... preparing lines, cover with tarp stuff... keep head down at north!!
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'm going down to pull the lines up tight but my only somewhat serious concern is the roof over the covered moorage. I was planing to move Willy out to open moorage just before high winds (now) but I still haven't got my new exhaust hose so Willy isn't operative. I cut the old hose off w a hack saw so I'm just going to hope the roof is OK.

Re you guys imply'in we're wimps out here I'll gladly be a wimp where damage to boats, docks, roads and our houses are unlikely. I've lived in Alaska numerous times and am glad to leave that part of Alaska where it is. But storms down here in western WA are more troublesome than the Alaska weather. So many cars, traffic and infastructure down here that it kinda gets all tangled up and turns into a mess w/o that much wind, snow or whatever.

Also in Thorne Bay there was an emergency generator that automatically started up and went on line so w a power outage all we experienced was a little flicker. We've had power outages down here that lasted days. Never that in Alaska. So I want to get back home before the wind gets serious. But I'm really glad I won't be faced w 100mph winds. More like half that will happen in the sound but out on the coast it may be close to 100mph.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #19

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
I was 12 during the Columbus day storm. We lived in West Seattle and had bedrooms with West facing windows. We taped them up and didn't sleep there. I was sure they were going to break. I'm not worried about our boat. It's out of the water at Delta Marine for bottom paint. The power here in Duvall is guaranteed to go out though. One of the four roads into town has been closed since yesterday with downed trees. Everybody stay safe.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #20
Guru

We are almost certain to lose power tonight, could be a few hours or up to some days. Winds blow here every winter, its common to go over 50 in gusts, and every few years we get a whopper like they are calling for today, yesterday was no slouch. You never know with these things, it could blow up like in '62 and be a monster. I hope not.