Old 10-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #21
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
How a super typhoon got sucked into a jet stream and spawned the storm that’s barreling right for us | The Seattle Times

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I was a 9 year-old too in '62. We had afternoon recess outside. Girls were getting blown over in the yard! Some were flying their overcoats into the wind. I remember some of the coats blew up and away, didn't come back down. That impressed me. We got sent home early because the power went out.

Power was out for week+, first time I learned how to cook and heat with coal in a fireplace, no school. We walked the length of all the downed firs through the local forest.

Looks like this one goes right over J dock in the north basin. If the cleats stay bolted to the dock I'm good!

GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #23
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Marine weather forecast for south of Nanaimo predicts 50 knots out of southeast for later today and tonight. Ferry delays and cancellations in effect. Ganges Harbour will be a mess. Put out some extra lines Koliver.
Hey Tom

Thanks for your concerns. Yesterday was moving day. I took my boat from its summer moorage in Long Harbour to better shelter at the Yacht Club docks just up the Harbour. I found a spot facing into the wind and swells and am quite happy with it.

The dock I usually tie to hangs onto a 3 piling Dolphin that sways noticeably in a big swell. Its owner and former occupant, our mutual friend Jim, always moved his GB 42 or whatever he had, to the YC in much of a blow. While I was secure enough there, I don't want to be on that dock if the dolphin gives way.

While moving yesterday the swells in LH were 2 to 3 ft. The outer ends of most of the YC docks were bouncing and twisting enough that you couldn't walk out on them safely, but back 100 feet all was much calmer. Today's storm is expected to peak around 16:00 with sustained winds here of up to 50 knots. We just don't see winds like that very often. Apparently this is generated by a decaying "Super Typhoon Songda" coming in off of the southern Pacific.

There were a few of the boats there that I was concerned enough about to add a line or two, so hopefully there will be no drama whatsoever when the wind peaks.

The last time we had a Typoon of that strength, (actually more) was Oct 13, 1962. I recall it well, as I was a morning newspaper delivery kid out at 04:30 climbing over fallen trees to deliver my load of the Vancouver Province newspaper. Our house in Burnaby lost all of its south facing shingles, as did most of its neighbours. I am not expecting near that amount of drama from this storm.

I hope you have no concerns about your moorage in Sidney. What I have seen of those docks is all good, so as long as the dock keepers are alert your boat should be secure.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
I was a 9 year-old too in '62. We had afternoon recess outside. Girls were getting blown over in the yard! Some were flying their overcoats into the wind. I remember some of the coats blew up and away, didn't come back down. That impressed me. We got sent home early because the power went out.

Power was out for week+, first time I learned how to cook and heat with coal in a fireplace, no school. We walked the length of all the downed firs through the local forest.

Looks like this one goes right over J dock in the north basin. If the cleats stay bolted to the dock I'm good!
I was going to Seward Elementary on Eastlake in Seattle, and we got sent home too and living on a houseboat on Lake Union often meant a lumpy ride in storms. When I got home the wind had blown our house off the dock, parted chains. It couldn't go anywhere as we were closest to the beach, but it still sort of freaked me out and I just sat down and started crying. Wont ever forget that storm. I sure hope this one doesn't blow up like that one.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
I was 12 during the Columbus day storm. We lived in West Seattle and had bedrooms with West facing windows. We taped them up and didn't sleep there. I was sure they were going to break. I'm not worried about our boat. It's out of the water at Delta Marine for bottom paint. The power here in Duvall is guaranteed to go out though. One of the four roads into town has been closed since yesterday with downed trees. Everybody stay safe.

You often get high wind up where you are and it looks like you may get hit hard again. Good luck.

I am considering going down to the boat this evening. I already wrapped up the Bimini over the FB, secured the dinghy cover, and added and tightened dock lines. Not too worried about the boat as the Marina is pretty protected.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
What I have seen of those docks is all good, so as long as the dock keepers are alert your boat should be secure.
Yes, talked with the boat butler this AM and lines are doubled up securely and power OK. They'll check again tomorrow morning. Bet you will have some action in front of your house this evening. Time to get the RV pointed south.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #27
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
It's getting breezy inPt Townsend Bay.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476560990.306791.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	57453
Old 10-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #28
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Worst predicted in a few hours...
Name:  IMG_1476561189.105006.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  16.3 KB
Old 10-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post

It amazes me how so many people in this area have never heard of that storm. I was 9 then living in Seattle and remember it very well. Mentioned it today to several people, nope, never heard of it. Amazing.
Wifey B: Why amazing? Most people weren't born then. That is 54 years ago. I was 17 years before birth.

The median age in the state of Washington is 37.3 years.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #30
Guru

I guess because its the nastiest storm to ever hit this area, since they started keeping records.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
I guess because its the nastiest storm to ever hit this area, since they started keeping records.
Wifey B: And how well do you remember the 1948 Great Spring Snowmelt Flooding or the 1950 January Blizzard? And they were only a very short time before you were born.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #32
Guru

I am more familiar with the 1950 blizzard, but not sure I have heard about the Spring snowmelt. What are you doing, just looking up weather events to prove a point? So yeah, there are things I haven't heard of. But this was local and huge. Good grief.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
I am more familiar with the 1950 blizzard, but not sure I have heard about the Spring snowmelt. What are you doing, just looking up weather events to prove a point? So yeah, there are things I haven't heard of. But this was local and huge. Good grief.
Wifey B: Yes, looking up stuff to make a point that it's not all that "amazing" that people don't know about it. The spring snowmelt was huge too. Most of the time we don't remember weather events until there's another similar that brings the old one up. Now, today's winds have brought it into conversation. 1962 is ancient history to young people. Not making fun of older just don't be so shocked younger don't know about it. You can educate us one at a time. I now know about it and other Washington weather events I didn't before.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Younger people done know nutt'in.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #35
Guru

Well, with what kids have been being taught for the last 40 years in the public school system I guess you're right. I should not be surprised.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
This flood was before my time BUT I do know about it and it killed 21 people!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood
Old 10-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #37
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
This flood was before my time BUT I do know about it and it killed 21 people!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood
Serious thread creep!

Molasses in the streets. We were in an oceanside (Pacific) village in Costa Rica in 2008 where molasses was used on the streets as a top coat, to keep the dust down. Nobody got killed.

Back to today's storm:

Presently (1600 PST) blowing 20 knots SE in Houston Passage. Not the forecast 50.
4:00 PM news just now repeated the forecast of 50+, but a little later than forecast.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #38
Guru

RT, believe it or not I HAVE heard of the Great Molasses Flood! BTW, wind picking up here a bit, rain has let up for now. Barometer falling at just over 29 in.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #39

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Skagit Orca 27XLC
Our peak wind here at the house in Port Angeles today has been 5mph. This is an amateur/household station and we live on the hill to the south of town. We have had just a little over one-half inch of rain today as I write this.
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Our peak wind here at the house in Port Angeles today has been 5mph. This is an amateur/household station and we live on the hill to the south of town. We have had just a little over one-half inch of rain today as I write this.
Did you mean 50 mph? We are gusty here in LaConner at 8pm but not bad, forecast says up till 2 am Sunday it could blow. But they have downgraded the storm by the sound of it. Cant say I'm sorry.