Nuke Sub Hits Support Vessels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just your luck! Can't find a whale to save your ass, but you'll find a nuke sub.

And....wait for it, wait for it.....Another EX Captain of the Louisianna. Too bad but that is the likely outcome. Maybe 2 ex Captains over this.

Any time the subs go into or out of the base at Bangor, all of Hoods Canal becomes an exclusion zone. Anyone wanting to be on the water has to contact the USCG on 22a and state their intentions and to follow the lawful orders given to them. I have never had occasion to do that. I heard the Securite announcements this last weekend.

I collided w a whale (adult) .... T boned him at 6 knots. And I can assure you I did'nt ask for it.

I have never maneuvered to be closser to whales and disaprove of those that do. I have (in the past) not taken evasive moves though. Thought if they come to us it's fine. And of course now I actually maneuver to avoid them even then. We assume (re our collision) the male was trying to prevent us from getting closser to the cow and calf. It worked. He was moving about and blowing after so ......

At the NE end of POW Is (Alaska) I also side swiped a junivile Humpback (probably 30' long) whale feeding a way off from moma. I gave moma a wide berth.

Same process here in San Diego, although I have not seen one in a couple years. They guard them carefully, and are not messing around.

Any time the subs go into or out of the base at Bangor, all of Hoods Canal becomes an exclusion zone. Anyone wanting to be on the water has to contact the USCG on 22a and state their intentions and to follow the lawful orders given to them. I have never had occasion to do that. I heard the Securite announcements this last weekend.

A grey fish just like that came up alongside me in the strait last year. Coast Guard hailed me and told me to stay away. Very far away. I made a turn to port. The guys with machine guns in a Rib chased me. I stayed away! No pics by the way!

Remember last year a sub hit a buoy at Fernandina, FL. It caused a $1,000,000.00 damage.

And....wait for it, wait for it.....Another EX Captain of the Louisianna. Too bad but that is the likely outcome. Maybe 2 ex Captains over this.

It stands a good chance the captain was not from Louisiana and is prior military. But hey, what do I know....

It's one and done for the boat skipper - no matter what the mitigating circumstances. The punitive action(s) may extend downward to the XO, NAV, Diving Officer, Sonar, and a few key senior enlisted watchstanders. See SSN 711 submerged collision with uncharted seamount. Hell of a way to end a patrol.

I expect it's similar for the USNS captain.

And another reason why US Naval ships have a very good safety record overall.

A large % of merchant ship disasters involve foreign flagged ships in Liberia and Panama. At least those were the flags of convenience when I was involved in shipping years ago. The crews and especially the officers don't have the same level of training as US, Canadian, and most Western European Countries.

It's one and done for the boat skipper - no matter what the mitigating circumstances. The punitive action(s) may extend downward to the XO, NAV, Diving Officer, Sonar, and a few key senior enlisted watchstanders. See SSN 711 submerged collision with uncharted seamount. Hell of a way to end a patrol.

I expect it's similar for the USNS captain.

I collided w a whale (adult) .... T boned him at 6 knots.

I got ya beat on that story. I almost T-boned a sub when I coming out of Juan de Fuca. Middle of night and my meatball cousin was on watch. By the time he decided to wake me and I had slammed the boat into neutral, the sub decided to dive.

I clicked on the G Captain link at the start of this thread and now I'm getting G Captain notices sent to my phone about every 15 minutes.

I don't think I subscribed to anything as I just scrolled down the page, but maybe I inadvertently hit some troll button.

Either way I'll figure how to get it out of my system. Is anyone else getting bothered?

Conall

I clicked on the G Captain link at the start of this thread and now I'm getting G Captain notices sent to my phone about every 15 minutes.

I don't think I subscribed to anything as I just scrolled down the page, but maybe I inadvertently hit some troll button.

Either way I'll figure how to get it out of my system. Is anyone else getting bothered?

Conall

I have been reading GCaptain for years and they don't call me. Course, there is no way for them to know my phone number. Or at least I hope not. :ermm::socool::)

Later,
Dan

They're not calling rather sending solicitation to my phone email.

Conall

There goes another forest.

The usual military standard is to weigh the item with scratched paint ,

and create its weight in paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom