Now THAT'S a swim step!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustBob

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Hull #14 of the Hampton Endurance 58 series (i.e. the one after ours, they "skipped" 13). Owner intends to carry tender on swim step. As compared to our boat, they do have an enclosed flybridge, so there is some more weight forward. Probably have a plan to keep her from being "ass heavy."

Attachments

• swimstep.jpg
    swimstep.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 109
I had one of those huge platforms on my boat but found it was incompatible with the tall, short duration waves we get on the Columbia River. We were out a couple of years ago and the old platform broke and two of the three stainless stabilizer mounts broke.

With the help of some friends we removed it, which was not an easy job...
20160824_170252_010.jpg

Then I had a friend who does fiberglass work on boats build a new platform, on the boat, while the boat was in the water. The vents and corner cleats were my idea but the rest was all his work....
20170711_081920.jpg

20170711_082129.jpg

This one is about 20" shorter (fore to aft) and does much better in the waves.

I can see why someone might like to put the tender on the swim step but I do wonder... It appears there are no staples and the end of the step is so far from back of the boat that there is nothing for someone to grab onto getting into or out of the dinghy.

I can see why someone might like to put the tender on the swim step but I do wonder... It appears there are no staples and the end of the step is so far from back of the boat that there is nothing for someone to grab onto getting into or out of the dinghy.

You are correct and that's a good point. I'll ask what the thinking is.

Also the davit is in the traditional boat deck placement, so you still have to make more or less the same movements.

I think some boats now have hydraulic elements of the swim platform and can just lower the whole thing into the water. I'd prefer to go that route, seems to me anyway.

My never ordered/wanted swim step is folded up 99.9999999% of the time, but does make for a nice landing for a soft dinghy when deployed.

Attachments

• coot at mildred.jpg
    coot at mildred.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom