Old 03-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Nova Kool Refrigerator

I bought one a year ago and I have a review for anyone who is contemplating same. I bought the rfu9000. I paid extra for the stainless door as the black door comes standard. The stainless is good quality but it does not fit tightly in the door.
The crisper drawers are cheap and flimsy and the ones that came with my fridge were not the ones shown in the brochure. I complained and they sent me two originals but they are just a different shape and just as crappy.
The worst thing about it is if you make it cold enough to freeze stuff in the freezer compartment, it freezes all the food in the crisper too. If you raise the temperature so food doesn't freeze in the fridge part, any food outside of the freezer "loop" will not freeze. I had to throw out hamburger and sausages because they were not frozen but they were in the freezer box.
I called then to ask for help and the suggestion was to "raise the crisper above the floor of the fridge or put a piece of insulation under the crisper." Really?

My old fridge, which this one replaced, was so crapped out I cannot compare the operation so I can't make any recommendations to you about a better fridge freezer, but this one was not worth the money, I wish I had my old one back. The only advantage to the new one is it looks good and matches the decor.

I should have just reupholstered the settee!

Can a mod please correct the spelling in the title for me, I can't edit it.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Thanks Xsbank, owners reviews of products are very valuable to the forum. Been there done that is great feedback.

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Thanks as well - great feedback and relevant as we are contemplating replacing our ancient Norcold with, if memory serves, the same Nova Kool model.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Noank
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
Perfect Timing

Thanks for the review Xsbank.

We're currently shopping for a new refrigerator and had NovaKool near the top of the list. We'll continue shopping and comparing models. Lack of quality customer service and technical advise is the most troubling part of your shared experience with NovaKool.

Tim
AvalonGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

City: Benicia CA
Can't speak for the RFU9000, but 2 years ago I bought their single door freezer and a single door refrigerator. Both have been great. I had to call them once and they were very helpful.

Maybe I was just lucky. And, maybe the RFU9000 is just not designed or built as well?
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Can't speak for the RFU9000, but 2 years ago I bought their single door freezer and a single door refrigerator. Both have been great. I had to call them once and they were very helpful.

Maybe I was just lucky. And, maybe the RFU9000 is just not designed or built as well?
Well thats makes two of us......
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #7
TB

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I bought one a year ago and I have a review for anyone who is contemplating same. I bought the rfu9000. I paid extra for the stainless door as the black door comes standard. The stainless is good quality but it does not fit tightly in the door.
The crisper drawers are cheap and flimsy and the ones that came with my fridge were not the ones shown in the brochure. I complained and they sent me two originals but they are just a different shape and just as crappy.
The worst thing about it is if you make it cold enough to freeze stuff in the freezer compartment, it freezes all the food in the crisper too. If you raise the temperature so food doesn't freeze in the fridge part, any food outside of the freezer "loop" will not freeze. I had to throw out hamburger and sausages because they were not frozen but they were in the freezer box.
I called then to ask for help and the suggestion was to "raise the crisper above the floor of the fridge or put a piece of insulation under the crisper." Really?

My old fridge, which this one replaced, was so crapped out I cannot compare the operation so I can't make any recommendations to you about a better fridge freezer, but this one was not worth the money, I wish I had my old one back. The only advantage to the new one is it looks good and matches the decor.

I should have just reupholstered the settee!

I just installed a RFU9000, no problems so far. A friend has the net size smaller, same configuration and put the tray that was in the freezer under the crisper tray. They really like theirs also. Maybe the tray under the crisper will help your problem.
TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Ah, no one cares about spelling and who would ridicule you for a misspelled word anyway?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Had an RFU9000 in the last boat for 3 years. The key to solving the freezing with stuff in the refrigerator portion is to put a piece of foil covered bubble wrap on the bottom of the refrigerator portion. Or better yet two pieces. Made a world of difference in how it worked.
tpbrady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Thanks XS
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
XsBank, here is another possible solution. This is a new product that I learned about on the Panbo site called the Fridge Optimizer. I just ordered one and haven't received it yet but it looks like it may cure the problems of uneven temps in the NovaCool. Keeping a record of what is happening inside the fridge and the defrost function alone may make it worth the $200. Check it out here:

SLFO-ACDC-122401 Fridge Optimizer - Programmable Thermostatic Control & Monitor AC/DC

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
XsBank, here is another possible solution. This is a new product that I learned about on the Panbo site called the Fridge Optimizer. I just ordered one and haven't received it yet but it looks like it may cure the problems of uneven temps in the NovaCool. Keeping a record of what is happening inside the fridge and the defrost function alone may make it worth the $200. Check it out here:

SLFO-ACDC-122401 Fridge Optimizer - Programmable Thermostatic Control & Monitor AC/DC
Very interesting. Let us know how well it works.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
We have a RFU9000 and it has worked flawlessly for the last two years. If we get lazy and don't defrost it when we should we need to turn the thermostat down to keep things cold. Then, after we defrost it, if we are not smart enough to re-adjust the thermostat, we will freeze items in the crisper tray. I can't blame the fridge for that.
Ice stays frozen in the freezer with out a problem.

We replaced the plastic door panels with teak plywood, it's a nice tight fit.

The Fridge Optimizer is on our list to buy as is almost worth $200 not to have to deal with defrosting the thing every month or so, although we have that task down to a "science".
drf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Have had a small Nova on my lobster boat for 8-9 years now. Installed in place of a larger Norcold so added 4" extra foam all around. I love it, can't hear it run, beer always cold. Forgot to turn it off when I put my boat on its mooring, left it on for a week; beer cold, battery (1 size 29) still up.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Terrific review! I was at the point of ordering one but now will definitely go the Vitrifrigo route. (Whew!)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Terrific review! I was at the point of ordering one but now will definitely go the Vitrifrigo route. (Whew!)
Kinda where I am...but is the Vitrifrigo really any better?

Same compressor as the Norcold, Norcold has thermostat controls on the outside, is the hardware or fit and finish really better? People have reviewed the Nova Cool as much better ...until this review.

Sale on fridges at Defender....but at $1500 for a fridge, I guess I am going to eyeball and touch them all as the reviews are all over the place on all of them.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #17
FF
Guru

"put a piece of insulation under the crisper." Really?"

Why not? , the reason it is not factory installed is probably that it takes up space and many of these RV fridges are sold on advertised internal volume.

How does the Amps per day compare with your old fridge .

What IS the daily amp usage while anchored out?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #18
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Kinda where I am...but is the Vitrifrigo really any better?
My friend's Vitrifrigo has the controls inside the frig on the back wall. Not good if the frig is well stocked and you want to change the setting. The freezer gets really cold and does not seem to freeze the food in the frig. I don't like the handles on the Vitrifrigo as well as the Norcold but the bottom line is that it does its job!

Sorry about the sideways frig but I can't seem to correct it! It's upright before I upload it to the TF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flip2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	51681  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #19
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I guess I still have to touch and see.

I think the last fridge thread, Baker said the Norcold was cheezy, but with the Danfoss compressor did the job also.

If they are that close, saving another $300 on shipping might just steer me back to Norcold.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We have two OEM-installed (2002) NovaKool fridges. The larger is a side-by-side RFS7501 (freezer one side, smaller door; fridge on the other side). Smaller is an R2600 (very small internal freezer area).

Both have worked fine. We need to do our part a bit better, defrost about once/year more often than we remember to...

But otherwise, they've seemed primo.

-Chris