Old 03-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Thanks Chris.....

Now if I could only find the local marine appliance store for a side by side comparison.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
You'll remember the beer was adequately chilled.

-Chris

Old 03-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #23
Guru

I remember quite clearly....next fallI I may find more time to kick around the Chesapeake.

Hopefully I can reciprocate from my shiny new fridge....
Old 03-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I'm up for that!

-Chris
Old 03-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Serenus
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 44
I purchased a Sea Freeze refrigerator a couple years ago as it fit in the same cutout as the old Nordcold, however I have the same problem that you have. In order to keep freezer cold enough to freeze ice cream (below -15) everything on the top shelf of the refrigerator freezes. Worse in the summer time than winter. I think it is just poor insulation between freezer and refrigerator.
Poulsbo, WA
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #26
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I put a Novacool in my Bayliner

I put a Novacool in my Bayliner. I bought it based on reputation and the fact that the compressor location was vented to the front of the unit. Mine had the freezer on the bottom. It froze things in the freezer compartment just fine, however the upper section wasn't cold enough for the Central Valley heat. I also had problems with the coolant tube inside the refrigerator section icing up. Customer service was pleasant and helpful but they were not able to correct the issue. The unit probably would have been fine if the freezer had been at the top.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Terrific review! I was at the point of ordering one but now will definitely go the Vitrifrigo route. (Whew!)
Really? This is only one person who is dissatisfied with a product. I guarantee that any product ever sold will have at least on dissatisfied customer.

A Nova Kool is the original refrigerator/freezer in my boat and it is still going strong after sixteen years. Never a problem. So - that makes one dissatisfied owner and at least one satisfied owner.

Now what are you going to do?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #28
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Kinda where I am...but is the Vitrifrigo really any better?

Same compressor as the Norcold, Norcold has thermostat controls on the outside, is the hardware or fit and finish really better? People have reviewed the Nova Cool as much better ...until this review.

Sale on fridges at Defender....but at $1500 for a fridge, I guess I am going to eyeball and touch them all as the reviews are all over the place on all of them.
Actually I think it is.
When I was doing my research, Vitrifrigo's were all made in Italy, while Isotherm has some built in China.

Picturing Italians supervising Chinese production provided hours of entertainment.

MY BIG recommendation is to go with the external compressors. Danfoss 35F I have the side by side units.

Bought them in FL for $2300 for both and that included multi voltage option for $200.

I have remote thermometers in each and they are extremely consistent and use a bit less than 120 amps for 24 hours or 1440 watts/24 hours.

I keep the freezer at 3 degrees F an fridge at 41.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Actually I think it is.
When I was doing my research, Vitrifrigo's were all made in Italy, while Isotherm has some built in China.

Picturing Italians supervising Chinese production provided hours of entertainment.

MY BIG recommendation is to go with the external compressors. Danfoss 35F I have the side by side units.

Bought them in FL for $2300 for both and that included multi voltage option for $200.

I have remote thermometers in each and they are extremely consistent and use a bit less than 120 amps for 24 hours or 1440 watts/24 hours.

I keep the freezer at 3 degrees F an fridge at 41.
Thanks Richard...

But like many boats...my refrigerator options are less than engine replacement options unless a whole galley makeover is in order.

I would love a couple top loaders set up correctly with good insulation...I could run them every other year......but alas, what fits, goes in...good or bad and the pack has pretty well evened out as far as efficiency and crappy hardware.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
A Nova Kool is the original refrigerator/freezer in my boat and it is still going strong after sixteen years. Never a problem. So - that makes one dissatisfied owner and at least one satisfied owner.

Now what are you going to do?
I just repaired the top freezer hinge on my Norcold. The top hinge of the freezer door was sloppy, allowing the door to be misaligned when closed. Thus, not allowing the seal to fully contact the freezer frame. (A small piece of paper inserted on all 4 sides of the door, when closed, indicated where the seal was not contacting the frame properly.) I inserted a bushing (ACE Hardware) in the hinge & that stopped the door sag (sloppy pin in hinge) All seems well at the present time.

Now, to answer your question!

When the Norcold decides to quit, I will buy a VitrifrigoI (I've spent more time researching refrigerators than I care to admit)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NorCold.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	49591  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote