Old 09-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #1

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Not sure I can buy another boat. . .

I have my sailboat now, and I enjoy it (enjoy it more if I used it more) and I like working on it, and I like living aboard. . .but I'm not sure I would do this again?

What I'm saying is, I seem to be missing that level of naivete I had when I bought my sailboat. Now that I know what I'm in for, it's been impossible to get past a second/third look without getting uneasy (sometimes physically ill). 40+ boats and 13 months later, I came close once to buying a Bayliner, basically on impulse, and felt relieved when the survey gave me a reason to back out.

For whatever reason I can't get past the additional list of fixes and $$$$$ cash infusions in the boats I've looked at. It's all junk. . .cheap junk and expensive junk, newer junk and older junk But can it all really be junk? It's got to be a perspective thing, right?

Da hell is wrong with me? I'm finding boats I like, and can afford. . .but it's like trying to decide to kick myself in the crotch again
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
You haven't found the right boat yet. I spent years searching and changing my mind. Then I found it and nothing else seemed to matter. We (Sean and I) spent 18 months and a ton of money making it the way I wanted it. That's what the right boat will do for to you.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Agree with Ted. You haven't found the right boat yet. We had the same problem and kept wringing our hands. You will know when you find her.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
In certain price ranges I believe he is correct from an energy standpoint...

I am in the last third of rebuilding my boat...no way I would take on another back to back
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool beans View Post

For whatever reason I can't get past the additional list of fixes and $$$$$ cash infusions in the boats I've looked at. It's all junk. . .cheap junk and expensive junk, newer junk and older junk But can it all really be junk? It's got to be a perspective thing, right?
What is on your list of necessary fixes? Safety stuff? Conveniences? Or purely subjective? It shouldn't be hard to find a safe boat with most of the conveniences you want. Beyond that, you may be too picky, in which case you should have a boat built to your specs.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
You don't say what size boat you are looking at or the price you can afford, but it sounds like maybe the size you want verses the price you are willing to pay are a little out of sync. If you are looking for a 50' boat in the $150,000 range, you probably wont find it, but if you look for that same size for around $300,000, you probably can find exactly what you want.
I am going to look at a trawler on Wednesday that is priced at twice what others the model and size are listed for, but it appears that it is very well maintained, has a ton of updated equipment, and ready to cruise. I quess I could by a cheaper one and spend two years fixing it up, but I will be 70 next year, and that would take a big chunk out of my time left.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
Guru

I went through something like this when I purchased a well used and slightly abused Able Whistler 32 some 24 years ago. I finally got the boat back together and we loved it. Sailed it for about 13 years before moving to the next boat.
Restoring a boat can really be a strain on you. It is a lot of time and money...
As much as love projects, I'm not sure I'd be interested in going through that process again.
I'd suggest that a good clean well maintained boat might be a better bet than a fixer upper. Of course all boats are fixer uppers...
As has been said here, you will know when you find the right boat!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
You don't say what size boat you are looking at or the price you can afford, but it sounds like maybe the size you want verses the price you are willing to pay are a little out of sync. If you are looking for a 50' boat in the $150,000 range, you probably wont find it, but if you look for that same size for around $300,000, you probably can find exactly what you want.
I am going to look at a trawler on Wednesday that is priced at twice what others the model and size are listed for, but it appears that it is very well maintained, has a ton of updated equipment, and ready to cruise. I quess I could by a cheaper one and spend two years fixing it up, but I will be 70 next year, and that would take a big chunk out of my time left.
What you described is exactly what I think the root cause is when paople have a difficult time buying a boat.

I know it comes as a shock to people that what they think is a lot of money is not enough to buy a good condition boat in the size they want.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
What you described is exactly what I think the root cause is when paople have a difficult time buying a boat.

I know it comes as a shock to people that what they think is a lot of money is not enough to buy a good condition boat in the size they want.

I spent what I think is a lot of money for my boat. I like the boat. However, if I felt comfortable with spending another $100k I probably would have chosen a different boat. Many would think that what I spent was a huge amount of money and would also think that it should be able to buy the "perfect" boat. Others will think that what I spent was chump change.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I have my sailboat now, and I enjoy it (enjoy it more if I used it more) and I like working on it, and I like living aboard. . .but I'm not sure I would do this again?

What I'm saying is, I seem to be missing that level of naivete I had when I bought my sailboat. Now that I know what I'm in for, it's been impossible to get past a second/third look without getting uneasy (sometimes physically ill). 40+ boats and 13 months later, I came close once to buying a Bayliner, basically on impulse, and felt relieved when the survey gave me a reason to back out.

Da hell is wrong with me? I'm finding boats I like, and can afford. . .but it's like trying to decide to kick myself in the crotch again
Maybe you haven't found the right boat or maybe it's something more. I think one gets two forms of sticker shock-price and time/effort. Perhaps it's a smaller, less expensive, but in better condition boat. I have a friend who looked at Albin after Albin. He was so determined. They all had problems he wasn't ready to tackle. So, he just went and bought a Glacier Bay. Twin Outboards, 2.2 mpg at 17 mph and he's happy. Maybe it's a different style. For instance, you can find Sea Ray Sundancers in better condition and cheaper than you can many cruising boats.

I wouldn't force it. Just wait, relax. Rent or charter occasionally until something hits you.

There are a lot of fishermen who just can't find the SF they want. Well, they end up very happy with a Center Console instead. Less to buy, less to operate and outboards so easier to maintain engines.

Why aren't you using the sailboat? I think that is a question that may give you a clue. If a boat is going to be underused then why purchase one. Why are you even thinking of buying a boat?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:30 PM   #11
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I think it is a perspective thing.
Sell your sailboat.
Your boat buying perspective will change.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:04 AM   #12
FF
Guru

LESS IS MORE!

If you look at the level of comfort common from 1920- 1970 and can accept that you will find lots of boats suitable for travel or as vacation homes.

Good ventilation requires hatches , opening windows and sun shades.

Simply installing 3 air cond and 2 noisemakers to run them only means never having fresh air and a huge maint task and fuel bill and noise .

YES! Putting up the sun shades takes more work than setting a thermostat , but at least its quiet in the cool.

Having a FW tank , instead of a water maker simplifys life and power demands.

A propane range and reefer end the endless dead battery problems.

Simple can be done , and many times it is far superior to "modern" in terms of lifestyle on board.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
LESS IS MORE!

If you look at the level of comfort common from 1920- 1970 and can accept that you will find lots of boats suitable for travel or as vacation homes.

Simply installing 3 air cond and 2 noisemakers to run them only means never having fresh air and a huge maint task and fuel bill and noise .

YES! Putting up the sun shades takes more work than setting a thermostat , but at least its quiet in the cool.

Simple can be done , and many times it is far superior to "modern" in terms of lifestyle on board.
I have boats set up both ways. My first boat, a 32' Able Whistler came without pressure water, heat or much of any options. Although cruising on it that way might have been rewarding for some, it was begging for some upgrades!
I of course added a water heater, pressure water, a bulkhead mounted heater, refrigeration and yes, even a watermaker.
Our enjoyment of the boat when cruising went up with each addition of a system! No longer where we off looking for water every 2 to 5 days. We could shower every day! We could heat up the interior on those cold foggy Maine evenings. We could venture out in the fog because we had radar...

I wouldn't have it any other way! I love my "Stuff". Maybe the difference is that I have a strong mechanical/systems background. These systems don't intimidate me in any way. In fact, it gives me something to do as we are living aboard...

Different strokes I guess.
Bruce
Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:

As others have said, maybe you just haven't found the right boat. IOW, none of the boats you're looking at ring your chimes (enough) AND they all seem to carry a "fix-it" penalty in both $$$ and level of effort.

So keep shopping.

But here's an idea: look at boats in the 2X$ price range, compared to whatever $$$ you've been shopping on. Maybe some of those don't come with the same "fix-it" penalty, could maybe offer more of a turn-key changeover.

-Chris
Old 09-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
LESS IS MORE!

Wifey B: Oh, yes...a return to the good old days. I can't live in the past like you because I wasn't born in 1970, much less 1920. Are you really ready to give up all your modern conveniences, starting with computer? Then guess we won't be seeing you here anymore. Why not give up electricity in your home? Or your home and live in a tent? Get your water out of the stream. It doesn't matter that it's downstream from where the cows dumped.

Having a fresh water tank or rain catcher or whatever doesn't simplify diddly squat. Watermaker is simpler to me. I don't have to worry about whether we're going to have rain or about the bird that just flew over and pooped. We don't have endless dead battery problems. Don't have any. We keep them charged and check on them and replace when the time comes.

Propane range and reefer? You been smoking reefer? So, have you dropped the electricity in your home yet? If you so believe in what you're preaching, seems only logical you would.

This life that I enjoy must seem so dauntingly complicated and horrible to you, but, no thanks, I'm not giving it up and have no desire to play pioneer woman and live primitively.

Now, I'm fine with you living however you want but for some reason you don't seem fine with the rest of us living like we choose. Or boating. Because the fact is you're only talking about boating as you're not living like you preach. And you're not living on your boat. So your commitment to the program you preach really isn't very strong at all, now is it?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #16
Guru

City: Vermont
I think that no matter where you land in the cost spectrum when you buy a boat, owning and maintaining one is time consuming, expensive, or both. You have to get some enjoyment out of the work, have no problem writing a lot of big checks, and get a lot of enjoyment out of the boat for it all to make sense.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think that no matter where you land in the cost spectrum when you buy a boat, owning and maintaining one is time consuming, expensive, or both. You have to get some enjoyment out of the work, have no problem writing a lot of big checks, and get a lot of enjoyment out of the boat for it all to make sense.
I think as enthusiastic boaters we sometimes dismiss the possibility that boating isn't for everyone. Maybe one can't pull the trigger on a new boat, simply because no boat purchase is right for them at this time in their life. I can't imagine that but every day there are many people who give up boating. Either they couldn't find the time to boat, didn't want to keep spending the money, or just lost interest and were ready to move on. There is nothing wrong with that. We have several here who have gone from cruising on the water to land cruising. I can't imagine doing that, but 30 years from now who knows what I'll do.

When boating just isn't worth the price in dollars, time or hassle, then it's time to move on.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Oh, yes...a return to the good old days. I can't live in the past like you because I wasn't born in 1970, much less 1920. Are you really ready to give up all your modern conveniences, starting with computer? Then guess we won't be seeing you here anymore. Why not give up electricity in your home? Or your home and live in a tent? Get your water out of the stream. It doesn't matter that it's downstream from where the cows dumped.

Having a fresh water tank or rain catcher or whatever doesn't simplify diddly squat. Watermaker is simpler to me. I don't have to worry about whether we're going to have rain or about the bird that just flew over and pooped. We don't have endless dead battery problems. Don't have any. We keep them charged and check on them and replace when the time comes.

Propane range and reefer? You been smoking reefer? So, have you dropped the electricity in your home yet? If you so believe in what you're preaching, seems only logical you would.

This life that I enjoy must seem so dauntingly complicated and horrible to you, but, no thanks, I'm not giving it up and have no desire to play pioneer woman and live primitively.

Now, I'm fine with you living however you want but for some reason you don't seem fine with the rest of us living like we choose. Or boating. Because the fact is you're only talking about boating as you're not living like you preach. And you're not living on your boat. So your commitment to the program you preach really isn't very strong at all, now is it?
Really? You may not have noticed, but the majority of cruising boats including sailboats, more resembles FF's description than yours. Not everybody can afford a 6, 7 or 8 figure boat to go cruising on. Most can't afford 3 or 4 figure dockage every night. Should they stay home till they can, or travel on a more modest boat? Are you any better than FF for telling people there is something wrong with them for not traveling at your comfort level? Just out of curiosity, is your idea of "ruffing it" going into a town without a 5 star marina ?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #19
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
is your idea of "ruffing it" going into a town without a 5 star marina ?

Ted
Odd - when I read your post it references a "Hilton" rather than a 5 star marina. As to Hilton, IMO, that would be living in the past.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
LESS IS MORE!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Really? You may not have noticed, but the majority of cruising boats including sailboats, more resembles FF's description than yours. Not everybody can afford a 6, 7 or 8 figure boat to go cruising on. Most can't afford 3 or 4 figure dockage every night. Should they stay home till they can, or travel on a more modest boat? Are you any better than FF for telling people there is something wrong with them for not traveling at your comfort level? Just out of curiosity, is your idea of "ruffing it" going into a town without a 5 star marina ?

Ted
I didn't read her response the way you did Ted.
I believe she was simply reacting to the last line of FF's post where he clearly lays out an argument against "modern"...

If he had simply pointed out that some (many???) people cruise without amenities and with satisfaction I'd bet that would have been the end of it. Seems to me he couldn't resist what I refer to as "twisting the knife".
One way or another, it gets a reaction.
That is my read anyway...
Bruce