Not so newbie with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailbode

Greetings "Trawler people".* As has happened many times before, I'm getting the "itch" to experience one of the two happiest days*of my life....again.* This time with doing the big loop in mind.* We have been "sail" boaters for quite a few years, and have cruised down into the Chesepeek and up into the Long Island Sound, with several days running off shore.* Our last boat was a Cherubinni Hunter 33. We have also owned a few 23 foot cuddy cabin boats and been up and down the Trent Severen and the Rideau Canal systems.* So with doing the loop in mind, living on the boat for...at leasts several months at a clip, I'm thinking I need something 32 - 38.* I would go bigger but 1. cant afford one and 2. cant afford the fuel to run a boat that size.* I'm questioning if I can afford to run a 38 footer?? I know running my Chevy 350 powered SeaRay for 4-6 hours a day can eat up quite a bit of $$$.* On the other hand, my Hunter had a 20 horsepower Yanmar Diesel that would push us along at 7 knots all day and seem to only use a mouthfull of fuel.* Wouldn't get as far in a day but it's not about arriving in a short time, it's about enjoying the trip.* Let me finish this allready to long intro by saying I'm looking at older Chris Crafts and with all this in mind, would appreciate some advise from folks who have been down this road.

Thanks

Don

Find a single-engine trawler, slow your time machine back to sailboat speed, and you'll be fine on fuel. Most of us single-screw boats with Perkins or Lehman power plants are burning from 1.5 to 3 gph at 7-9 mph. So running is cheap(ish) in the fuel department.

Tell us what your budget is going to be. $50k? $75k? $100k? More? Less? What listings are you looking at already?

I wish I could say more, and probably should say less, but I'm thinking of a 20K-30K budget. I like the looks of the old Chris crafts especially the look of the 1958 commander but I must have a fiberglass hull which I think puts me at 1965 or newer. I am a certified ASE Master auto technitian and an amateur wood worker so fixer uppers dont scare me...too a point. Clint Eastwood once said "a man has to know his limitations". Here is a listing for a 35 foot commander that is nice except for the gas engine:
http://www.commanderclub.com/Shop/071.htm

Yea... Interesting, but this is where I get off. I don't know enough about marine gas motors or boats that old to be any use to you. If it was your first boat, I would say to run away from it, but if you feel up to it and know the pitfalls of a boat that old, maybe it is for you. Still, twin 350's will kill you on fuel usage. Nor do I think that it's big enough for a loop unless it's just you. But like I said... What do I know?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom