Not a place for mature, plump people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captwill

Veteran Member
After spending three days in the engine room of my new/old Cheer Men PT38, freeing up thru hull valves, installing a new diverter valve and making a new battery box cover; I came to the conclusion that they designed and placed the above items to be an uncomfortable challenge to older, plumper gentlemen. (not such a gentleman at the end of day three)

I had the same problem with the last boat, not so much the current one. Add in the heat!

So much so that I never went down there to do anything without having my cell phone with me just in case.

I forgot to mention the heat in NC this past week as well as no knee pads the first day! Live and Learn

I forgot to mention the heat in NC this past week as well as no knee pads the first day! Live and Learn

I bought 2 roofer's pads from HD. I can't live without dem! How about being in a contorted position for a length of time then trying to get out and up! (lying sideways in a slightly downward position with one leg on the overhead to steady yourself while working on the genny!)

Agree. Not an endearing place in which to hang out! On my list for the boat's ER is:
*Replacing all that diamond plate-covered plywood with new smooth, stiff plywood, including lids for the shower and bilge sumps.
*Adding indoor-outdoor carpet on Enka-drain or similar for a vented pad.
*Resupporting the house battery bank.
*Stiffer lid over the battery bank.
*Stairs/ladder.
*Better lighting.
*110v convenience receptacle.

Then maybe grovelling will be less of a physical torment, and more work can be done.

One of the things that sold me on mine was the 6ft headroom and walk around space
13782132_10206983835740197_3455302350001791258_n.jpg

A plastic milk crate is the perfect seat and height for working on anything in the bottom half and standing for the top half.

Last edited:
Simi, what are those stringers under the fuel tanks made of?

I've gotten to the point of lifting a floor hatch just so I don't have to crawl thru the door under the stairs. Got to check a/c stainers weekly.

I can't imagine working in some ERs--even on a nice, cool day.

A couple weekends ago, I was working in mine on a blistering day -- it's still shrink wrapped on the hard -- and was staying hydrated and "cooled off" with fans. I finally realized I was getting light-headed and immediately left the boat. It was 98F outside but I felt decidedly cooler as I stepped outside.

Never again! :facepalm:

Simi 60 and Angus99,
I have severe engine room envy!!! I was going to suggest bringing one or more fans down there with you. It makes a world of difference. Also, if you can have someone outside to hand you tools, parts, cold beers, etc., things go better. That said, I almost always end up doing this stuff solo, so lots of trips in and out of the engine room.

Cheers, Bill

I can't imagine working in some ERs--even on a nice, cool day.
That on a DeFever 44? Seems quite spacious.
Or is the garbage bin/kitchen tidy indicative of engine room height?

Near me at present is this vessel.
Bandanna.jpg

The mech. who worked on mine a cupla days back works on their engines and says the engine room is airconditioned

Simi 60 and Angus99,
I have severe engine room envy!!! I was going to suggest bringing one or more fans down there with you. It makes a world of difference. Also, if you can have someone outside to hand you tools, parts, cold beers, etc., things go better. That said, I almost always end up doing this stuff solo, so lots of trips in and out of the engine room.

Yeah, I usually am alone as well. My wife always says she will go help me on the boat but usually when it comes time to do it, she seems to have other things that have to be taken care of right about then...:facepalm:

Hi!

This is my new engine mechanic. She has no problem getting around in tight spaces. ?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472518401.560143.jpg

Have been finishing some odd and ends in the engine room this summer. My trick for making it more comfortable is to open the hatches in the saloon and set the AC down to 70 degrees. then I go visit one of the live aboard neighbors for an hour. Come back to a cool dehumidified engine room. Makes work much more tolerable.

Ted

That on a DeFever 44? Seems quite spacious.
Or is the garbage bin/kitchen tidy indicative of engine room height?

It's spacious compared to some. 5'7" headroom forward; slightly less as you move aft. Removing the hatches in the salon increases headroom to about 12 feet :socool:.

I also relocated the battery banks that were outboard of the Lehmans to give full engine access.

Last edited:
That's one heck of a battery bank, nice.

I have spent many years working on boats with engine rooms that were badly designed, or not thought out at all. If I have learned anything from all this spelunking, it is that I do better repair/maintenance/installation work if I can stand or sit comfortably while doing it.

When I bought my own boat, a deal breaker was that the engine room must have good access around both engines and decent head-room. Well, everything is a compromise, but I got most of what I wanted. Access to Dragon Lady's engines, genset etc is by opening three hatches in the saloon floor. I thus have good centerline headroom plus air-conditioning. We will not mention that the outboard side of each motor is largely a rumour!.

Fans are great tools and I highly recommend the blower in the picture below. Mine (Amazon - around $60) lives on a dedicated shelf and can be directed just about anywere I happen to be working. Useful for drying wet patches on carpets or upholstery too. If you decide to buy one of these, take note of the dimensions. Mine is quite small at 12" x 12" x 10" but others that look similar are too bulky to be useful or have the outlet near the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-655704-Velocity-Blower-Yellow/dp/B006O6FA22

Attachments

• Blower.jpg
    Blower.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 34
Shoalwaters - X2 on the carpet dryer fan. Also excellent for maintaining air circulation within the boat when in slip with A/C shutdown. Mine runs 24/7.

I am having a severe case of engineroom envy for you guys with walk-arounds.

About a year ago, I was working alone and contorted into a space outboard of the port main engine, did whatever I came to do, and discovered my retreat (that had been done before), didn't work. Then the lower back cramp set in. It was ugly, but I eventually (obviously) got out.

That was a "come to J moment" for me. Now, I pretty much farm those missions out. Just a matter of acknowledging reality.

For deep excursions into the bowels of my boat, the Admiral is on standby in the salon. Years ago I was involved in an accident that limits my range of motion, and being over laden causes a 30 minute job to become a 90 minute one.

Has anyone running a fan like the one Shoalwaters showed above encountered problems by leaving it operate full time? If so are you leaving a hatch open? What has been the net benefit? I have a 110VAC receptacle below deck and this may be an option for keeping air moving below decks.

mike

Matt and I changed the impeller on our starboard engine and even though the access was RIGHT THERE in the middle of the ER it was a HORRIBLE project. We had a mechanic change the port impeller and we have NO IDEA how he actually accessed it to remove it. We are thinking either a trained chimpanzee or a very skinny toddler with exceptional dexterity.

It's spacious compared to some. 5'7" headroom forward; slightly less as you move aft. Removing the hatches in the salon increases headroom to about 12 feet :socool:.

I also relocated the battery banks that were outboard of the Lehmans to give full engine access.

Damn near the same lay out as the 48... It is nice to have an ER with some room

Matt and I changed the impeller on our starboard engine and even though the access was RIGHT THERE in the middle of the ER it was a HORRIBLE project. We had a mechanic change the port impeller and we have NO IDEA how he actually accessed it to remove it. We are thinking either a trained chimpanzee or a very skinny toddler with exceptional dexterity.

Changing the impeller on my new boat was a week long process. I got the old impeller out with difficulty (bought an impeller puller finally) but then couldn't get the replacement back in. I had a mechanic down to the boat who was pulling the aftercooler and had him try. He couldn't either. I finally bought another impeller and it went in (relatively) easily. Turns out the spare that I had, even with the same factory part number stamped on the rubber, just was too big.

Anyway, changing impellers can be a PIA. However, I think it is important to have a spare and know how to change it should the situation demand. It would be worth trying to do it yourself again next year and see if you can figure out the techniques for making it work out. Of course with twins, the importance of the spare and being able to do it on your own may be less of an issue than for those of us who are numerically challenge in the engine room.

Changing the impeller on my new boat was a week long process. I got the old impeller out with difficulty (bought an impeller puller finally) but then couldn't get the replacement back in. I had a mechanic down to the boat who was pulling the aftercooler and had him try. He couldn't either. I finally bought another impeller and it went in (relatively) easily. Turns out the spare that I had, even with the same factory part number stamped on the rubber, just was too big.

Anyway, changing impellers can be a PIA. However, I think it is important to have a spare and know how to change it should the situation demand. It would be worth trying to do it yourself again next year and see if you can figure out the techniques for making it work out. Of course with twins, the importance of the spare and being able to do it on your own may be less of an issue than for those of us who are numerically challenge in the engine room.

our problem was pulling it. there is not enough clearance to get a puller in there! It was HORRIBLE to get out. Just beyond difficult. We do have a spare or two on board so if it came down to it and we HAD to change the starboard one we could attempt it. the port? I truly do not think it would be physically possible for either of us to even reach the pump, let alone get the cover off and try to pull the impeller. I've heard of people taking the pump off to do it but not sure I could reach it to do that, either.

our problem was pulling it. there is not enough clearance to get a puller in there! It was HORRIBLE to get out. Just beyond difficult. We do have a spare or two on board so if it came down to it and we HAD to change the starboard one we could attempt it. the port? I truly do not think it would be physically possible for either of us to even reach the pump, let alone get the cover off and try to pull the impeller. I've heard of people taking the pump off to do it but not sure I could reach it to do that, either.

Yeah, I had a similar problem. I had to disconnect some hoses to get the puller in place. For me, I think using a different kind of puller would be better. Rather than the classic puller which uses clamps to grab the impeller, I think a threaded bolt in the impeller itself would work better for me. I considered removing my pump, but decided that would be more work.

A tip that can help is to spray the impeller and the inside of the pump liberally with WD40 or similar. Bump the engine to turn the impeller, then try and pull it out. It will slide much more easily. When I did it, I didn't do that and the impeller puller just about turned itself inside out trying to get the impeller out.

I do miss my old Yanmar 4JH4 on the sailboat. The waterpump was facing the front of the engine and the impeller the front of it. I could sit on a stool in my galley and easily change the impeller, pulling it out with a pair of pliers and easily putting the new one in. Of course it was a small 54 hp engine. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom